I am disgusted of how they treat foreigners in Thailand

3421abc

7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I suggest you apply to Makro for a job. They employ a number of foreign bakers.

I doubt it. Worst bread in Thailand, no competition. I'd rather eat Pizza Company leftover crumbs. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, watcharacters said:

I wonder if Ouija Boards are even legal in Thailand?    Somehow I kind of doubt it.

Many posters seem to have polar extreme views about Thailand .

Either everything in Thailand is banned and illegal , or, nothing is illegal and there is no rule of law ????

27 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I am familiar with the treaty what does it do for you in Thailand?  A few extras if establishing a business.  Can you vote?  Can you get citizenship?  Can you safely say you can remain as a citizen of the country if problems arise?  Plain and simple Thais emigrating to the usa can get a clear path to citizenship and many have done just that.  Try that here. Good luck.

I can own 100% of a business in Thailand.  I could have applied to become a permanent resident if I wanted to.  I think the rules for even visiting America are far more restrictive than Thailand.  You tell me?  Old Thai guy applies for visitor visa to USA, reason to chase young women in Strip clubs.  How far is that going to fly? 

Can the Thai guy just fly into America and enter like I can in Thailand? 

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Spot on.

I once had a conversation with a group of upper middle class Thai about this-they were genuinely puzzled as to why there shouldn't be one rule book for them and quite another for everyone else on the planet.

...someone out there has been studying Goebbels with a vengeance,tho' truth be told,the Thai have never really needed Goebbels... 

Well..the OP gave it his best shot and generated five pages of posts.Well done.

Kind of likie the Brits, of any class..............

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

No he's not.  You compare Vietnam which is still economically undeveloped with a GNI of 6,450 PPP to relatively wealthy Thailand with a GNI of 17,099 PPP.  Two very different countries.  Thailand occupies a completely different social development level than Vietnam.  The countries are night and day when it comes to basic measures such as health care, education, consumer goods access and even  happiness. It follows then that they have a different approach to visas, immigration and  social development.

Thailand is not particularly interested in attracting small operation foreign bakers. I like a good croissant as much as the next person and I note that the Novotel at the Bangkok airport where I often stay IMO has terrible baked goods at breakfast despite having French chefs and  management, so a foreigner is not necessarily going to turn bad dough and palm oil into a heavenly buttery light  croissant.  Because you saw a listing on a pay for play unreliable website, does not mean that it is  the best bakery..

Thailand does not need low skilled foreign labour unless it is for hard labour like  fishing boats & processing plants, construction and some cleaning jobs. Thailand  tries to encourage its workers to obtain higher skilled jobs like data & financial transaction processing or R&D or skilled manufacturing.  It  has adapted its  immigration policy accordingly. This is similar to what western countries do. I can assure that the visiting medical researchers, including the folks who have been in and out for years have no problems with immigration. The executives over at Ford, and Honda  do not either. The Canadian bankers from Scotia Bank who come in to work at Thanachart Bank have no issues, nor do the insurer execs that rotate in from Allianz, Zurich or AXA.   Johnny Foreigner who runs a crappy beer bar that pimps out girls, or Harry who helps  his lady boy Bunny  with her hair dressing salon probably have  some immigration hassles if they do not meet the necessary financial requirements.  Sven and Katy the  smiling  Danish retirees who follow the  immigration rules and are organized don't have any issues, nor does Luke the retired train engineer from Sussex  who runs his visa renewal like he ran his freight, with punctuality.

Jeez, i cannot believe i agree 100% with the above post from GK!

I normally disagree with most stuff he writes.

But not this time.

Very well written.

8 hours ago, 3421abc said:

I just need to vent

Carry on venting....

8 hours ago, 3421abc said:

I really don't understand how the expats whom are married to Thai women take it.

Quite comfortably thanx.

As for the land issue - ie foreigners cannot own it - i think it is a great law, and if my home country had similar, 1/2 of London would not be owned by Russians & Arabs.

5 hours ago, SenorProletariat said:

I am in total agreement with the OP here.

The way foreigners are treated is outrageous and needs immediate adjustment. After all, foreigners are responsible for 12% of Thailand's total GDP. 

A little gratitude wouldn't go amiss.

SP.

Jeez.

Thought you'd left the building Khun P?

Scary.

How many of you are out there?

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

They were never colonised and they are not good learners! Excellent bread in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Well, they're not good *self-learners* at any rate.  They tend to need things spoon-fed to them (e.g. they don't learn well by inference or analogy to things they already know) and don't adapt well to situations outside what they've been explicitly trained/taught by rote.  The education system here in fact promotes the opposite.  And, yes, I say this as someone with not insignificant experience teaching all age groups in Thailand.

An educational system that would likely have been more modern and effective at self-empowerment for the masses if they actually had been colonized at some point.  Or if the system just, oh I dunno, had been willing to take in one or two ideas from the outside world somewhere along the way...

10 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

I am disgusted with how people people treat their hosts!!

Just how does the host treat the guest well in any way? You should grovel at our feet, worship us and give us all your money because we let you in our home. That is not a guest but a slave. 

Government, private, and even most so-called international schools here... it's all the same.

And I'm not saying they should have been colonized, just pointing out the irony that in other countries colonization has led to some increases in educational efficiency that created more equitable conditions and opportunities for the "common man.".

The whole "never been colonized" thing is twisted by demagogues here far past a level of acceptable pride and into the realm of arrogance and stubbornness against any and all outside ideas... no matter how useful they've proven in other countries, yes, even other SE Asian countries.  Turns out this country is an object lesson in the dangers of cultural inbreeding.... Every bit as toxic to a community as physical inbreeding.

What's hilarious is my Thai wife is at least as critical of the society as I am.  Sometimes I have to hold her back.

And now I'm so far off topic it's not even funny.  Time for bed.

Remember that not all foreign investment is needed. When the country is hard pressed they'll take anything. When they aren't they get more picky and consider self interests beyond how much money is flowing in. What would happen if foreigners had a massive stake in the economy? Suddenly they'd influence regulations, politics et.c. then Thailand is no longer so Thai but rather a bastardized place with too many actors with distinct self interests, often in conflict and often in opposition against their own culture for the sake of profit. Does that last sentence remind you of any place?

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I can own 100% of a business in Thailand.  I could have applied to become a permanent resident if I wanted to.  I think the rules for even visiting America are far more restrictive than Thailand.  You tell me?  Old Thai guy applies for visitor visa to USA, reason to chase young women in Strip clubs.  How far is that going to fly? 

Can the Thai guy just fly into America and enter like I can in Thailand? 

I don't know what old guys chasing young women has to with this discussion.   So you have a clear path to citizenship in Thailand?  Is this what you mean by permanent residence or you talking about the temporary status given under current visas?  I don't know a single expat that has citizenship in Thailand and many residing for decades.  I understand they allow 100 per year if they meet the qualifications. 

13 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I don't know what old guys chasing young women has to with this discussion.   So you have a clear path to citizenship in Thailand?  Is this what you mean by permanent residence or you talking about the temporary status given under current visas?  I don't know a single expat that has citizenship in Thailand and many residing for decades.  I understand they allow 100 per year if they meet the qualifications. 

You can file an application to become a Thai naturalized citizen after holding Permanent Resident status in Thailand for 10 consecutive years.

You can research the topics about it here or on google.

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You can file an application to become a Thai naturalized citizen after holding Permanent Resident status in Thailand for 10 consecutive years.

You can research the topics about it here or on google.

Yes they allow 100 per year who "meet the qualifications".  That is hardly an open door policy lol. 

11 hours ago, Anastasios said:

Remember that not all foreign investment is needed. When the country is hard pressed they'll take anything. When they aren't they get more picky and consider self interests beyond how much money is flowing in.

Good point, but better management of the country by the government might help minimize the disruption of boom-bust cycles like you're referring to.  Or maybe not...a lot depends on the outside world.

11 hours ago, Anastasios said:

What would happen if foreigners had a massive stake in the economy? Suddenly they'd influence regulations, politics et.c. then Thailand is no longer so Thai but rather a bastardized place with too many actors with distinct self interests, often in conflict and often in opposition against their own culture for the sake of profit. Does that last sentence remind you of any place?

Thailand right now.  And the foreigners you're referring to are the Chinese.  It's already happened here.  

And anyways, anyone with Thailand's best interests at heart would focus on Thailand being the best version of itself that it can be, not on maximizing "Thainess" at all costs.  There is a middle ground where they can apply *some* ideas from the outside world to actually make themselves stronger and more self-sufficient without becoming a totally bastardized culture.  Your all-or-nothing thinking sounds very...Thai.

9 hours ago, ramr said:

Good point, but better management of the country by the government might help minimize the disruption of boom-bust cycles like you're referring to.  Or maybe not...a lot depends on the outside world.

Thailand right now.  And the foreigners you're referring to are the Chinese.  It's already happened here.  

And anyways, anyone with Thailand's best interests at heart would focus on Thailand being the best version of itself that it can be, not on maximizing "Thainess" at all costs.  There is a middle ground where they can apply *some* ideas from the outside world to actually make themselves stronger and more self-sufficient without becoming a totally bastardized culture.  Your all-or-nothing thinking sounds very...Thai.

Actually in my mind I had the problems of bankers/credit institutions, lobbyism for big corporations, tax evasion etc, didn't refer to thainess. No country is pure but IMO protectionism is beneficial in the long run. To be honest I don't know as much about Thailand as I do about my home... I could be wrong. 

14 hours ago, Anastasios said:

Actually in my mind I had the problems of bankers/credit institutions, lobbyism for big corporations, tax evasion etc, didn't refer to thainess. No country is pure but IMO protectionism is beneficial in the long run. To be honest I don't know as much about Thailand as I do about my home... I could be wrong. 

I wasn't trying to connect the two, just pointing out the absurdity of Thai paranoia about outside influence given that they're already being (and have been) soft-colonized--economically--by the Chinese anyway.  Farangs are an easier and more visible target... our appearance and culture is less similar to Thai culture than the Chinese, and we haven't been deeply embedded into finance and business the way the Chinese are in Thailand.  But we're very useful to the government for deflecting away public attention from the real problems and their mismanagement of same.

As far as protectionism being good, I can see where you're coming from; I just would argue that it's taken to a ridiculous (and self-harming) degree here.  

3 hours ago, siamcrut said:

Just treat them the same way back. Works for me all the time.

Of course if someone talks polite, I always reply polite too.

Pretty sensible for most situations, I guess, as long as alcohol or groups of younger Thai males aren't in the mix.

Another fun approach is to make them lose face politely.  Bonus points for doing it in Thai and 2x bonus multiplier for doing it with a friendly smile on your face.  Not recommended for use in your town of residence if it's small, though.

Archived