I am disgusted of how they treat foreigners in Thailand

3421abc

On 2/6/2019 at 3:39 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Like in any other country you have hoops, if you want it, you start working on getting qualified.

When it comes to unnecessary hoops, Thailand would sure be near the top of the list, if not the top.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/8/2019 at 1:27 PM, siamcrut said:

Just treat them the same way back. Works for me all the time.

Of course if someone talks polite, I always reply polite too.

So you cut everyone off, park your car in front of their house, let your dog shit on the sidewalks, ask them double price, annoy them when they enter a shop, start yelling when they're eating, order the gardeners at saturdaymorning 8 am, and so on???

On 2/6/2019 at 7:37 PM, sanemax said:

Many posters seem to have polar extreme views about Thailand .

Either everything in Thailand is banned and illegal , or, nothing is illegal and there is no rule of law ????

About the only laws that really apply in Thailand are anything to do with immigration and drugs.

45 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

I am disgusted of how they treat foreigners in Thailand.....

and Thailand is disgusted in how foreigners treat the country, the people and the laws. Guess who is going to win.

Thai people don't bother with the laws most of the time, so why should they expect foreigners to?

12 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thai people don't bother with the laws most of the time, so why should they expect foreigners to?

Don't worry about how others conduct themselves. You only have to be concerned with yourself and obeying the laws of any country you are in. That will make for a more peaceful life for you and I'm sure that's what you are most interested in and not what others get away with. 

6 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Don't worry about how others conduct themselves. You only have to be concerned with yourself and obeying the laws of any country you are in. That will make for a more peaceful life for you and I'm sure that's what you are most interested in and not what others get away with. 

I think he (not you) is one of the I'm not here brigade but like to trash those that are brigade.  I'd imagine he sees things wrong with his home country and sublimates them to here. 

7 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

That's a good point, but my way is the use of genuine common sense, I am not going to obey laws and rules just because someone says I have to, I will decide if a law is necessary, and will not obey it unless I agree with it, that is if I can find a way around it which will not be to the ordinary persons detriment. 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That's a good point, but my way is the use of genuine common sense, I am not going to obey laws and rules just because someone says I have to, I will decide if a law is necessary, and will not obey it unless I agree with it, that is if I can find a way around it which will not be to the ordinary persons detriment. 

Your post does not display any common sense.  It is obvious to even the least of us that not obeying laws results in going to jail.  There are 321,347 people in jail in Thailand who believed like you. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Your post does not display any common sense.  It is obvious to even the least of us that not obeying laws results in going to jail.  There are 321,347 people in jail in Thailand who believed like you. 

I was quite happy to break certain laws in the UK and did so for many years. Only a fool would do the same in Thailand. Live by the rules here or things are shure to end badly.

Well. I would qualify the statement with, I am disgusted with how government employees, the entire hapless Prayuth administration, and especially immigration, led by the Biggest Joke, who brought his hatred of all things foreign, over from the police force. I love the Thai people. Most are lovely. Fun to be around, jovial, easy going, and optimistic.

I returned from immigration recently, after renewing my marriage visa. The upside to this visa, is that only 400,000 is needed as a deposit, and it does not have to stay in the bank, once your visa is granted. The downsides are:

The hurdles you need to jump over, in order to get a marriage visa are stupid, ridiculous, unnecessary, draconian, wasteful, and silly. I understand the need for them to verify that you are a legitimate couple. Upon the first application. But, the dumb requirements should not relate to renewals. You should not be required to show fresh images of the house each time, copies of the marriage papers, the house documents, either come with a local Thai witness, or bring a signed affidavit from a local Thai each time, provide new maps to the house, and dozens of other requirements.

I just do not even know what to say about the process. I felt like a street dog by the time I left. After hours of paperwork, copy after copy after copy, each page having to be signed, and then being grilling by the surly officer, I literally felt like a street dog. The level of disrespect that immigration shows married couples here, and foreigners in general, is totally uncalled for, beyond the pale, and inane. The copy woman, the guy sorting our papers, they were all nice. But, the officers? Such sourpusses. The woman who was helping us was so difficult to work with, when she finally rejected us over the tiniest thing she did not like, after nearly an hour of reviewing every document with a microscope, so to speak, and said no, I responded by saying yes. YES, you are going to do this. Yes, you are going to do this right now. YES, you are going to stop saying NO to me right now. This ends now. She looked at me and did not know what to say. I asked for the manager. The top brass came over, and we had it sorted in 30 minutes. Took nearly 3 hours. And as usual, it will be a month, until I have final approval. Is it worth it? NO. It is my last marriage visa. I will go back to a retirement visa next year, or leave the country, before I subject myself to that abuse one more time.

There is absolutely no need, that I can think of, to do this each and every year. It is nonsensical for everyone involved, to keep repeating the same steps over, and over, and over. It is humiliating, it is demeaning, it is disrespectful, it is petty, it is churlish. It is so wasteful. It is so unnecessary. It accomplishes nothing. It causes inconvenience to both foreigners and Thais. Immigration here really has it wrong. They could be doing so much better. 

I totally blame Prayuth, and the biggest joke. Immigration has gotten worse under their tutelage and their arrogance, and their insufferable xenophobia knows no bounds. This whole thing leaves a bitter, sour, nasty, foul taste in one's mouth, and the stench can be smelled for kilometers. It also leaves a rather bad feeling toward our hosts. They could be doing so much better. In my opinion alot of us bring alot to the table here. Thailand is moving backwards on so many levels, I do not even know where to begin. 

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I was quite happy to break certain laws in the UK and did so for many years. Only a fool would do the same in Thailand. Live by the rules here or things are shure to end badly.

It is amazing how obvious we are here.  20 years ago (pre cell phone days) walking in Pattaya I was late for a date with a bar girl.  2 miles from the rendezvous out of nowhere came another woman who said, "You are late for date with Lek."  Literally thousands of people in Pattaya had to know me by sight for that to have happened.  Now in my town I never have to tell a motorcycle taxi driver where I live - everyone knows.  When my wife wants to get home she tells the driver, "ban Falang." 

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well. I would qualify the statement with, I am disgusted with how government employees, the entire hapless Prayuth administration, and especially immigration, led by the Biggest Joke, who brought his hatred of all things foreign, over from the police force. I love the Thai people. Most are lovely. Fun to be around, jovial, easy going, and optimistic.

I returned from immigration recently, after renewing my marriage visa. The upside to this visa, is that only 400,000 is needed as a deposit, and it does not have to stay in the bank, once your visa is granted. The downsides are:

The hurdles you need to jump over, in order to get a marriage visa are stupid, ridiculous, unnecessary, draconian, wasteful, and silly. I understand the need for them to verify that you are a legitimate couple. Upon the first application. But, the dumb requirements should not relate to renewals. You should not be required to show fresh images of the house each time, copies of the marriage papers, the house documents, either come with a local Thai witness, or bring a signed affidavit from a local Thai each time, provide new maps to the house, and dozens of other requirements.

I just do not even know what to say about the process. I felt like a street dog by the time I left. After hours of paperwork, copy after copy after copy, each page having to be signed, and then being grilling by the surly officer, I literally felt like a street dog. The level of disrespect that immigration shows married couples here, and foreigners in general, is totally uncalled for, beyond the pale, and inane. The copy woman, the guy sorting our papers, they were all nice. But, the officers? Such sourpusses. The woman who was helping us was so difficult to work with, when she finally rejected us over the tiniest thing she did not like, after nearly an hour of reviewing every document with a microscope, so to speak, and said no, I responded by saying yes. YES, you are going to do this. Yes, you are going to do this right now. YES, you are going to stop saying NO to me right now. This ends now. She looked at me and did not know what to say. I asked for the manager. The top brass came over, and we had it sorted in 30 minutes. Took nearly 3 hours. And as usual, it will be a month, until I have final approval. Is it worth it? NO. It is my last marriage visa. I will go back to a retirement visa next year, or leave the country, before I subject myself to that abuse one more time.

There is absolutely no need, that I can think of, to do this each and every year. It is nonsensical for everyone involved, to keep repeating the same steps over, and over, and over. It is humiliating, it is demeaning, it is disrespectful, it is petty, it is churlish. It is so wasteful. It is so unnecessary. It accomplishes nothing. It causes inconvenience to both foreigners and Thais. Immigration here really has it wrong. They could be doing so much better. 

I totally blame Prayuth, and the biggest joke. Immigration has gotten worse under their tutelage and their arrogance, and their insufferable xenophobia knows no bounds. This whole thing leaves a bitter, sour, nasty, foul taste in one's mouth, and the stench can be smelled for kilometers. It also leaves a rather bad feeling toward our hosts. They could be doing so much better. In my opinion alot of us bring alot to the table here. Thailand is moving backwards on so many levels, I do not even know where to begin. 

You begin by not getting a marriage visa.  That's what myself and most of the people I know did for the past 20 years.  I have been telling friends for at least 20 years to get a retirement visa over marriage visa for at least 20 years before Big Joke got into government. 

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

I only break laws when I don't agree with them, let me give you an example.

I went in to my hotel, paid for my room, stepped on to the lift, the first thing that hit me was

a notice which said something like "no food allowed in the room".

Did I say to myself "Possum, you must not take your sandwiches, biscuits, (cookies to you Yanks) and

kettle in to your room, it is against the hotels rules? What do you think?

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I only break laws when I don't agree with them, let me give you an example.

I went in to my hotel, paid for my room, stepped on to the lift, the first thing that hit me was

a notice which said something like "no food allowed in the room".

Did I say to myself "Possum, you must not take your sandwiches, biscuits, (cookies to you Yanks) and

kettle in to your room, it is against the hotels rules? What do you think?

One is a hotel rule and not killing people is a Thai law.  You wrote, "I am not going to obey laws"  

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

One is a hotel rule and not killing people is a Thai law.  You wrote, "I am not going to obey laws"  

Where does killing people come in to this? Rules are rules whether it is a hotel, or anything else you care to mention, and I have a middle finger for any rules that I do not agree with.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:58 PM, fruitman said:

Once i took a 'fresh baked every day' bread and brought it to the customer service....i pointed at the picture of that farang baker and at the expiry sticker which was 3 days old and told them that a farang baker would never ever do that.

They couldn;t understand me but few weeks later the poster of the baker was gone, now there's a poster of a thai baker.

Brilliant solution. Real initiative. LOl.

9 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

Brilliant solution. Real initiative. LOl.

In every Thai bakerie i check the expire dates and if i see english texts like 'freshly baked every day' and the products are not baked today i'll show it out to them.....they don't care though, for a thai it's normal to get scammed. Only idiot foreigners make problems out of such small thing.

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Where does killing people come in to this? Rules are rules whether it is a hotel, or anything else you care to mention, and I have a middle finger for any rules that I do not agree with.

You said you would not obey laws of a country that you did not agree with, "I am not going to obey laws-I only break laws when I don't agree with them"  Now you are changing it to hotel rules.  Lose all that macho, rugged individualism so soon?

15 minutes ago, fruitman said:

In every Thai bakerie i check the expire dates and if i see english texts like 'freshly baked every day' and the products are not baked today i'll show it out to them.....they don't care though, for a thai it's normal to get scammed. Only idiot foreigners make problems out of such small thing.

Less here in Thailand.  Common in America to repackage grocery store expired products like meat.  Don't tell me you didn't know early bird specials are spoiled items that should have been thrown out the day before?  Or, well done prime rib or steaks are stuff that was dropped on the floor yesterday or held in a warming table all day the day before?  Ask any Wendy's employee how they used to make chili?  Want me to go on? 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:00 PM, ramr said:

An educational system that would likely have been more modern and effective at self-empowerment for the masses if they actually had been colonized at some point.  Or if the system just, oh I dunno, had been willing to take in one or two ideas from the outside world somewhere along the way...

Maybe you need a better education yourself.    You think countries that have been colonised gave self empowerment for the masses and gave the people better education and lives today?

Africa,

Australia 

North America

South America

Burma

etc etc.

These countries the common guy on the street is happier and better off than they would have been if their countries had not be invaded or colonised in the past by the West?

As for the way you speak about Thai people you come across as ignorant and raciest.  Not really good qualities for a 'teacher'. 

As for Thai skills and education are you aware that here is one of the best counties for manufacturing cars, motorbikes, computers, robotics, all with highly skilled THAI employees, who have learnt the skills they need for the job very well.  Their medical services are also far superior to many other countries (including the UK).  

Archived