I am disgusted of how they treat foreigners in Thailand

3421abc

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You said you would not obey laws of a country that you did not agree with, "I am not going to obey laws-I only break laws when I don't agree with them"  Now you are changing it to hotel rules.  Lose all that macho, rugged individualism so soon?

laws, rules of anywhere, what's the difference, hotels, shops, government rules etc, etc?

Just for you, here is another example, I know it is against the law to drive a new truck after dark or out of your province, I do not agree with it so I did it. Now let's just let it rest.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I only break laws when I don't agree with them, let me give you an example.

I went in to my hotel, paid for my room, stepped on to the lift, the first thing that hit me was

a notice which said something like "no food allowed in the room".

Did I say to myself "Possum, you must not take your sandwiches, biscuits, (cookies to you Yanks) and

kettle in to your room, it is against the hotels rules? What do you think?

I don't think that you broke any laws by doing that. What do you think?

laws, rules of anywhere, what's the difference, hotels, shops, government rules etc, etc?

Just for you, here is another example, I know it is against the law to drive a new truck after dark or out of your province, I do not agree with it so I did it. Now let's just let it rest.

I hired a red plate vehicle recently, for a trip to Korat. I was unaware of the rules regarding red plate vehicles and the hire company didn't inform me. I got stopped in a roadside check and the cop, initially, tried to fine me 2k baht. The whole episode was a real hassle. If I'd known about the rule, I'd have never accepted hire of the vehicle.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I went in to my hotel, paid for my room, stepped on to the lift, the first thing that hit me was

Did I say to myself "Possum, you must not take your sandwiches, biscuits, (cookies to you Yanks) and

Yeah, me too when I see the 'No local women in your room' sign.

16 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I don't think that you broke any laws by doing that. What do you think?

It is against the hotels rules, but I just carried on, made my tea and ate my sandwiches, there will be some deluded people on this forum who think everyone should obey everyones rules.

16 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I hired a red plate vehicle recently, for a trip to Korat. I was unaware of the rules regarding red plate vehicles and the hire company didn't inform me. I got stopped in a roadside check and the cop, initially, tried to fine me 2k baht. The whole episode was a real hassle. If I'd known about the rule, I'd have never accepted hire of the vehicle.

I did not know that it applied to hire vehicles, but hey, this is Thailand.

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You naughty boy, that will be some posters not happy about that, especially the guy with the long username that cannot be pronounced and starts with M.????

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Reason being that people take food to their rooms , leave it open all night and  next thing that you know , theres an invasion of cockroahes .

The rule is there for a reason .

*Yeah, But I never leave my food open all night*

The rule isnt there especially for you , its a general rule for everyone 

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Reason being that people take food to their rooms , leave it open all night and  next thing that you know , theres an invasion of cockroahes .

The rule is there for a reason .

*Yeah, But I never leave my food open all night*

The rule isnt there especially for you , its a general rule for everyone 

Your joking of course, so why does some hotels have kettles in the room? Do people drink tea without eating? Maybe this hotel needs to control it's cockroaches, also, why does the hotel have crisps for sale, and cans of alcohol in the fridge at inflated prices?

Just now, possum1931 said:

Your joking of course, so why does some hotels have kettles in the room? Do people drink tea without eating? Maybe this hotel needs to control it's cockroaches, also, why does the hotel have crisps for sale, and cans of alcohol in the fridge at inflated prices?

Yes, people do drink tea without eating and alchol doesnt attract cockroaches , the hotel may sell food (crisps),  but dont take them to your room .

The hotel is trying to control rats and cockroaches , by stopping their food source .

Once cockroaches find a food source and make that place their home , you soon have an infestation and its difficult to get rid of , the whole building will need in-fumigating every few weeks  , better to not let people take food to their rooms

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That is a polite way to say "No Prostitutes allowed " , and to save the disagreement about the womans profession .

Some Westerners come up with a cunning plan to fool the hotel manager  "I've known her for years , shes my friend , I didnt meet her tonight in a bar" "I checked in on my own and she just arrived today from her village" .

"Oh really , you are the fifth guy tonight in the same situation"

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, people do drink tea without eating and alchol doesnt attract cockroaches , the hotel may sell food (crisps),  but dont take them to your room .

The hotel is trying to control rats and cockroaches , by stopping their food source .

Once cockroaches find a food source and make that place their home , you soon have an infestation and its difficult to get rid of , the whole building will need in-fumigating every few weeks  , better to not let people take food to their rooms

Didn't you read my post? The crisps were for sale in the room. So what you mean is people should buy the crisps in the room, then go outside and eat them when there is a 7-11 round the corner selling them at half the price the hotel charges.

This is getting stupid, this stops right now. This debate is finished.

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Didn't you read my post? The crisps were for sale in the room. So what you mean is people should buy the crisps in the room, then go outside and eat them when there is a 7-11 round the corner selling them at half the price the hotel charges.

Last time I stayed in a hotel with rules like that there was a fridge in the room.

An empty fridge, plugged in and turned on ........... and a kettle.

I guess whoever furnished the room hadn't read the rules.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Although your post just stated that the hotel sold crisps , then a comma , then an "and" and than about alcohol in the room, which suggested that the hotel sold the crisps in the lobby .

I have no idea about that hotel and what they sell  , but maybe they mean that dont take take-away food to your room , like pad thai or kebabs .

Maybe crisps are acceptable and dont cause much mess , but who wants to stay in a hotel where people leave their dirty plates outside their room ?

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So, the issue that you had was that you wasnt allowed to take crisps to your room and that crisps were sold inside your room and that the crisps inside your room were double the price of 7/11 crisps .

How did you feel about this ?

What were your emotions ?

Were you furious ? outraged ? bloody annoyed about it ?

What emotions did you go through , being not allowed to take 7/11 crisps into your room ?

On 2/6/2019 at 12:33 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Good grief, why are there so many posts like this?  Thailand's not for everyone, can be frustrating but you either deal with it, or don't.  Complaining won't help much, and moving isn't an option for many people who have family/work here.  If people think life will be any easier in another SE Asian country they are likely to be disappointed.

Totally agree.

We often see posts where some unfortunate has met his demise and posters proudly proclaim (incorrectly) that Darwin has been at work.

Total nonsense of course. (Most think Forrest Gump was a real person)

Charlie's theory was that it was 'the least able to adapt' that  eventually fade away.

This is quite relevant to foreigners in Thailand given the apparently 'Draconian' visa rules now in effect.

Don't get me started on the second law of thermodynamics that seems to have crept into the conversation these days!!!!!

Carpe diem?? Wasn't that all the rage a few years ago amongst the non Latin educated but posers nevertheless? I always responded  'why would a dead fish affect me or my day?

On 2/6/2019 at 7:17 PM, marcusarelus said:

I can own 100% of a business in Thailand.  I could have applied to become a permanent resident if I wanted to.  I think the rules for even visiting America are far more restrictive than Thailand.  You tell me?  Old Thai guy applies for visitor visa to USA, reason to chase young women in Strip clubs.  How far is that going to fly? 

Can the Thai guy just fly into America and enter like I can in Thailand? 

Maybe you should actually read understand this oft quoted Treaty Of Amity. Its not as simple s a lot of people may think.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:25 AM, possum1931 said:

That's a good point, but my way is the use of genuine common sense, I am not going to obey laws and rules just because someone says I have to, I will decide if a law is necessary, and will not obey it unless I agree with it, that is if I can find a way around it which will not be to the ordinary persons detriment. 

Like driving without a license...and possibly no compulsory insurance if you hit, maim or kill some innocent kid?

On 2/11/2019 at 10:20 AM, spidermike007 said:

Well. I would qualify the statement with, I am disgusted with how government employees, the entire hapless Prayuth administration, and especially immigration, led by the Biggest Joke, who brought his hatred of all things foreign, over from the police force. I love the Thai people. Most are lovely. Fun to be around, jovial, easy going, and optimistic.

I returned from immigration recently, after renewing my marriage visa. The upside to this visa, is that only 400,000 is needed as a deposit, and it does not have to stay in the bank, once your visa is granted. The downsides are:

The hurdles you need to jump over, in order to get a marriage visa are stupid, ridiculous, unnecessary, draconian, wasteful, and silly. I understand the need for them to verify that you are a legitimate couple. Upon the first application. But, the dumb requirements should not relate to renewals. You should not be required to show fresh images of the house each time, copies of the marriage papers, the house documents, either come with a local Thai witness, or bring a signed affidavit from a local Thai each time, provide new maps to the house, and dozens of other requirements.

I just do not even know what to say about the process. I felt like a street dog by the time I left. After hours of paperwork, copy after copy after copy, each page having to be signed, and then being grilling by the surly officer, I literally felt like a street dog. The level of disrespect that immigration shows married couples here, and foreigners in general, is totally uncalled for, beyond the pale, and inane. The copy woman, the guy sorting our papers, they were all nice. But, the officers? Such sourpusses. The woman who was helping us was so difficult to work with, when she finally rejected us over the tiniest thing she did not like, after nearly an hour of reviewing every document with a microscope, so to speak, and said no, I responded by saying yes. YES, you are going to do this. Yes, you are going to do this right now. YES, you are going to stop saying NO to me right now. This ends now. She looked at me and did not know what to say. I asked for the manager. The top brass came over, and we had it sorted in 30 minutes. Took nearly 3 hours. And as usual, it will be a month, until I have final approval. Is it worth it? NO. It is my last marriage visa. I will go back to a retirement visa next year, or leave the country, before I subject myself to that abuse one more time.

There is absolutely no need, that I can think of, to do this each and every year. It is nonsensical for everyone involved, to keep repeating the same steps over, and over, and over. It is humiliating, it is demeaning, it is disrespectful, it is petty, it is churlish. It is so wasteful. It is so unnecessary. It accomplishes nothing. It causes inconvenience to both foreigners and Thais. Immigration here really has it wrong. They could be doing so much better. 

I totally blame Prayuth, and the biggest joke. Immigration has gotten worse under their tutelage and their arrogance, and their insufferable xenophobia knows no bounds. This whole thing leaves a bitter, sour, nasty, foul taste in one's mouth, and the stench can be smelled for kilometers. It also leaves a rather bad feeling toward our hosts. They could be doing so much better. In my opinion alot of us bring alot to the table here. Thailand is moving backwards on so many levels, I do not even know where to begin. 

How many times do you need to post this?

At least you didn't include 'how is the 2019 chateau cardboard drinking....shut up and get my food part'.

I don't disagree with the spirit of your posts but please get some new material.

Copy and paste gets boring for even the most hardened Thai basher.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:27 PM, BritManToo said:

Last time I stayed in a hotel with rules like that there was a fridge in the room.

An empty fridge, plugged in and turned on ........... and a kettle.

I guess whoever furnished the room hadn't read the rules.

Nana hotel is pretty flexible re 'rules'....cheap too I stay there 2 times a month...555555 love it..

4 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Hardly surprising is it with the amount of whining and whingeing on this site. Eventually something has to give!!

There are many decent law abiding retirees who have enough money to live here and have Thai families, but don't meet the financial requirements.

Not everyone, although many are, rely on alcohol to get through their days.

30.000 Bt per month is more than enough for someone to live on when they live upcountry.

They have a right to be angry having to jump through unnecessary hoops because of these ridiculous financial restraints without having snobbish well off members of "if you don't like it, go home" brigade on their back.

4 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Like driving without a license...and possibly no compulsory insurance if you hit, maim or kill some innocent kid?

What a load of nonsense, what has that got to do with the very minority of snobbish TV members always telling people to go back home if they complain about anything.

What a load of nonsense, what has that got to do with the very minority of snobbish TV members always telling people to go back home if they complain about anything.

How do you feel about the people who are told to stay home and not come to Thailand when they complain?  Kind of like a guy who hates MacDonald's who if hating the food is told not to go.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:45 PM, tlandtday said:

I think the poster was trying to state that Thais are unfair to foreigners and don't want them succeeding or competing in their country and for the most part he is correct.  There are nearly 100,000 Thais alone in the city of Los Angeles happily living, getting citizenship, opening businesses, getting married and retiiring without worrying about having to be thrown at the whim of an elected or non elected government.  In terms of reciprocity Thailand in not playing the game.  So if you think Thailand is okay doing this is it okay for western countries to do the same?

same our own countries..our governments dont give a xxxx about its citizens whos living abroad.

expats dont vote, so may as well be invisible.

Funny thing tho, the posters crowing about not getting any "rights" in Thailand 

are the same who talk about UK and Europe, destroyed by letting every Tom, Dick and Haseem in!!

giving them rights and everything free while its own citizens get ignored.

hmmm

Thailand has always had to many poor people they cant help and no welfare.

why should they worry about farangs?

For foriegners Thai has been a place for people who worked, planned and invested/saved... who are set up in life and can bring IN their own money and live easy.

these new generation begpacker types, never work much in west but 

think they should work and start busineses amongst a mass of people already doing it tough..

dont get me started on them who want to travel the world broke and have everyone pay for them. 

things might be a bit inconvenient for us here sometimes but if the Thais did actually do everything Thaivisa farangs say should be done (allow farang to own houses etc) the country would go down the tubes in 6 months. 

to many just dont realise that it is the Thai policies (and even corruption) that makes the conditions here good for farang that want to leave the west.

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

How many times do you need to post this?

At least you didn't include 'how is the 2019 chateau cardboard drinking....shut up and get my food part'.

I don't disagree with the spirit of your posts but please get some new material.

Copy and paste gets boring for even the most hardened Thai basher.

ive got to second that.

that guy is like a broken record!!

If Thai IMs actually did read this site and his posts and then recognise him from his profile pic,

well im not suprised they give him a hard time!

actually its probably people like him who indirectly give Immigrations the motivation to crack down on farangs because they think we are kee-bon loudmouths who talk to mutt.555 

Archived