Jazz, Yaris or Mazda 2

gmac

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gmac said:

Good answer, but it would be nice to hear from anyone with good or bad experiences with any of them.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I know this is not one of the three you mentioned (sorry, don't chastise me please!) but get her to try the new Suzuki Swift..........great little car, reliable and drives like a dream.

For a daily commute I think the Yaris. It’s the newest design, has the most safety features, including rare in Thailand, 7 airbags. The smallest engine and best economy and as a bonus is also the cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

12 hours ago, xylophone said:

I know this is not one of the three you mentioned (sorry, don't chastise me please!) but get her to try the new Suzuki Swift..........great little car, reliable and drives like a dream.

I suggested that one to her but she doesn't like it for some reason.  

2 hours ago, whimsy said:

For a daily commute I think the Yaris. It’s the newest design, has the most safety features, including rare in Thailand, 7 airbags. The smallest engine and best economy and as a bonus is also the cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes I think that would probably be the best choice as well though she likes the Jazz but says it's too expensive and now a friend has started her thinking about  the MG3.....think I'll keep out of it!

6 hours ago, gmac said:

Suzuki Swift.

6 hours ago, gmac said:

and now a friend has started her thinking about  the MG3.....think I'll keep out of it!

Jeez.

One is a really nice car and an added bonus it looks great, the other is Chinese with the nastiest plastics ever fitted to the insides of a car, and doors that don't er, clunk...

IMHO - yeah i'd keep out of it too, because WHEN, not IF, the MG3 goes tits up, it ain't nobodies fault but hers.

The eco car simply means a max 1.2L engine. The rest of the car is exactly the same as offered in other markets with a 1.5 engine. Build quality = same

Being classified as an eco car means a lower rate of tax. That’s the main reason it is cheaper.

There was a recent car reliability study 2018 done in Australia and the Thai made Honda Jazz rated poorly.. You should be able to Google it.. 

I've driven both the Mazda 2 and Yaris, and I would go with Toyota.. IMHO.. 

9 hours ago, gmac said:

The reason is the friends, not the pistons! 

My wife has the Swift, and when she bought it, she was immediately copied by some friends. 

Probably, your wife's friends are not into Suzuki... too bad... 

I have the MAZDA 2, it is an okay car. The Jazz is more solid and a pretty good car. The MG I wouldn't take for free.....Chinese junk.

the larger Suzuki that runs around 600,000 baht I like a lot. Sister in law has one which we borrow from time to time, a really nice solid feel car with good acceleration and lots of room. Prefer it to the MAZDA 2.

4 hours ago, dundas said:

Very happy with my Thai built Jazz. It's roomy, easy to park around town, and is OK on faster roads.  In nine years no major problems, 60,000 km and still on its original brake pads. 

The same as mine regarding mileage and pads. Bought the Jazz in Oct 2015 and have had it serviced by the book and by Honda. Not expensive!!  All in all a very good car with absolutely no problems.....touch wood.

11 hours ago, Caiman said:

The Yaris hatchback will soon be discontinued in it's current form and will be sold in future as a re-badged Mazda 2. Happening in US & Malaysia with Thailand to follow.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A Toyota car re-badged as a Mazda?

Do you have a source for that?

I wasn't aware that they cooperate.

Bought a Mazda 2 in 2011.

110000 km, serviced by the book.

Never let me down.

"Biggest" problem is a switch for mirror adjustment that needs a bit extra pressure.

This 2011 model is a bit "spartan" with a four gear automatic and very basic "entertainment system". I guess you will get more nowadays.

It might be interesting to compare the transmission/gearbox systems.

Also think/look whether they are "flexi-fuel" (working with E85).

5 hours ago, dundas said:

Very happy with my Thai built Jazz. It's roomy, easy to park around town, and is OK on faster roads.  In nine years no major problems, 60,000 km and still on its original brake pads. 

A person's driving style and vehicle maintenance are determining factors in the longevity of replaceable parts and repair costs. I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T with almost 68,000 miles on the odometer with the original front/rear disc brake pads that passed the annual state vehicle inspection last month. No warranty issues or repair costs other than oil and filter changes, 2 pr of wiper blades and a new set of tires. It has been in the dealer shop just one time for the 3500-mile free oil change and other than the tire replacement, I performed all other maintenance.

I've test driven a Mazda 2 and Honda Jazz. IMHO the Mazda is superior because it had better road feel, bigger engine and a six-speed automatic. The Jazz and Yaris are both CVT. The jury is still out as to whether this form of automatic has long-term reliability.

A more detailed comparison of the three brands can be done on the website of zigwheels.co.th.

56 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

A Toyota car re-badged as a Mazda?

Do you have a source for that?

I wasn't aware that they cooperate.

A Mazda plant in Mexico provides Toyota with vehicles built on a version of the Mazda 2 platform. The vehicles have exterior body style changes and are sold in Mexico, the US or Canada under either Yaris or Scion badging. 

I’ve had my Jazz for a little over 2 years, done 45k, and very happy with it.

I find it spacious inside and versatile, with the back seats folded has a very large area, can carry two bicycles ( bit of a squeeze ) and I’ve loaded it up with all sorts of stuff for my diy projects .

The engine gives me enough power and it’s taken me from Chumphorn to the Golden Triangle and many places in between.

Would go with another Honda when I change, probably an HRV if my money is not being held for ransom in Bangkok Bank ????

I got I believe the original design Yaris in 2007,  then it was a 1.5 CC,  my brother just got a Jazz, I noticed it was 4 wheel disc brakes sat a bit low for me and biggest negative when I closed the door it sounded a bit tin can for me. 

I went to look at the Yris, no 4 wheel disc but ABS brakes two airbags.  All the plus I was looking for sat up higher and the ride was much smoother and biggest plus it felt solid while closing the door, solid doesn't mean a whole lot on the road since in general the way they drive here a small car isn't much protection.

Today, the Yaris has 105,000 KM,  service only at the dealership, brake pad changed once although has nothing to do with the car, one rear U - joint 6500 baht and recently had the A/C unit replaced 25,000 baht.

My brother Jazz has 200,000 plus still runs and rides like a tin can plus a number of problems but that would happen with any vehicle with that much KM.

If I today needed to replace the Yaris wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

Archived