More than ten thousand million baht generated during Chinese New Year in Phuket

webfact

More than ten thousand million baht generated during Chinese New Year in Phuket

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

jui-tui-temple.png

The TAT Phuket has done its sums for this year’s Chinese New Year activities in Phuket from February 5 to February 12. They estimate 500,000 tourists will visit for the annual Chinese holiday which will generated 11,441 million baht for the island.

Kanokkittikar Kritwutthikorn, director of the Phuket office of the TAT says, “The check-in rate is ”averaging at 88 percent which will result in around 479,800 visitors.”

“Most of foreign tourists on the island at the moment are from China, Russia, Malaysia and Australia.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/more-than-ten-thousand-million-baht-generated-during-chinese-new-year-in-phuket

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-02-06

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Here we go again, that's over 22,000 Bht per person. Cobblers!

Have you seen the current hotel rates? Most 4 and 5 star resorts are over 8,000 baht a night online. OK, a lot are group travellers but not as many as last year. Of course there's pleanty of budget accommodation as well but averaging it out I don't see this figure as unreasonable.

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Have you seen the current hotel rates? Most 4 and 5 star resorts are over 8,000 baht a night online. OK, a lot are group travellers but not as many as last year. Of course there's pleanty of budget accommodation as well but averaging it out I don't see this figure as unreasonable.

Chinese, 4 star and 8000 per night do not go in the same sentence. Do they?

9 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Must be historically numbers they use because its actually been quiet to be February at least around here I live???? Btw, aren't they a bit quick to count up? In "my book" Chinese New Year is on-going????

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

34 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

today is the seventh. :cheesy:????

Ahhh! I have the answer. They've got it mixed up.

It's 10,000,000,000 Baht for the 5th and 6th ONLY.

They've miscalculated. Easy to do of course........

Between the 7th - 12th, they expect to show ANOTHER 40,000,000,000 Baht.

There. That's much more believable, don't you think?

11 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Ahhh! I have the answer. They've got it mixed up.

It's 10,000,000,000 Baht for the 5th and 6th ONLY.

They've miscalculated. Easy to do of course........

Between the 7th - 12th, they expect to show ANOTHER 40,000,000,000 Baht.

There. That's much more believable, don't you think?

well these numbers could be hotel reservations. i don't think it is really that much money to spend for eight days.

Ah! excuse me TAT but I do believe the date today is the 8th February 2019, have you got some sort of ESP happening that you have not told anyone about. You Quote the 10,000,000,000 million Baht as being spent from the 5th to the 12th of Feb. I never was very good at Maths but you quote 479,800 visitors spent 11,441,000,000 now that works out to be 23,845 baht per visitor in 7 days = 3,406 baht per day, my Buddha if I had a bar bin that big I would be a happy man and so would some of the bar girls. Me be thinking you are all living in the land of the fairies.

I don't understand the thinking of so many posters here (not for the first time!).

Ignoring the strange way the article described the expected funds the visitors will spend, it translates to about $US760 for each person per visit. I can't remember any occasion where I have spent that little on an overseas holiday. 

We all know TAT plays with numbers, but surely the figure that's suspect is their estimate that 479k EXTRA people will come for a particular holiday. However, reading again, they're talking about the total number of expected arrivals to Phuket during that period.  To link all of those visitors to the Chinese New Year holiday is a stretch. 

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I don't understand the thinking of so many posters here (not for the first time!).

Ignoring the strange way the article described the expected funds the visitors will spend, it translates to about $US760 for each person per visit. I can't remember any occasion where I have spent that little on an overseas holiday. 

I don't know why half the people that post here bother, they obviously can't stand Phuket and Thais so why they visit the forum is beyond me.

The 1st hint of anything positive and out they trot on mass to shoot it down.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:30 PM, madmitch said:

You'd be surprised! The 4 and 5 stars near us have plenty of independent Chinese.

On the other hand, many Chinese are using the el-cheapo guest house type accommodation in Soi Nanai and its environs.

Also judging by the crap they are putting in their shopping trolleys, they are living on pot noodles, dried seaweed and dried fruit..........and when they do eat out it's at the local food court or No. 6 where 100 + baht meals are the norm.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:14 PM, madmitch said:

Your spot on madmitch. But some people will take every opportunity to say negative stuff about LOS. 

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

when they do eat out it's at the local food court or No. 6 where 100 + baht meals are the norm.

As in how a large amount of Thai's, Indonesians, Malays,  Chinese ect do when their at home?

I see loads of Australians, Brits, Scandies and others doing the same all over the island, nothing wrong with eating local. 

9 minutes ago, beechbum said:

As in how a large amount of Thai's, Indonesians, Malays,  Chinese ect do when their at home?

I see loads of Australians, Brits, Scandies and others doing the same all over the island, nothing wrong with eating local. 

True, but my post was related to the OP and others about "spend" and buying packs of noodles to eat in rooms and eating 100 baht meals won't contribute significantly to the squillions of baht touted by TAT..........

Archived