Teacher breach of contract.

Hi we signed a contract with an English teacher two months ago to start work today in our school, well he never turned up. We know he arrived in the country. We turned down other applicants because we had supposedly filled the position. 

Are there any business directors who have had this sort of thing happen before. We would like to know what we can do legally.

Teachers just get up and leave with no notice, absolutely no regard for the students who grow to love their teachers.

Simple really  If you gave him the paperwork to get a work visa contact immigration and cancel it.  As to the teacher let him go and find another.  As you said there are many out there some more highly qualified than the idiot you hired

Not sure what advice you are seeking; it would be costly, prolonged and probably fruitless to pursue the guy legally. You could complain to the relevant authority at the MoE, but make sure your own ducks are in a row first if you do, and without an address and contact details of the person in question, how are you going to get any redress?

Best to swallow it and learn for the next time.

Sometimes what happens is that the school sours the deal by some offhanded remark, for example saying it might take some time to get the Visa and you might need two trips out of the country (which you pay for yourself) befire the Visa sorted.

Teacher disappears.

Unfortunately much more often than nor its the other way round. With the school pulling the rug from under the teacher with some fabricated or trumped reason. Also complete out right lies. As has been my experience. The have no regard for the teacher or the position they are left. Also they care little in reality for how much  the teacher is loved. Reasons behind terminations issues, are frequently unrelated to the teachers teach ability. Things as simple as  poor budgeting by the school director and the sudden need to recoup finances, There is absolutely no loyalty or respect for foreign teachers in typical government schools.

If you're posting here looking for answers I'm guessing this school is a hardship post.

The guy interviewed, hired and signed at the school then doesn't show. Kinda shit of him, he should have at least notified you.

Consider yourself lucky.

Usually in court cases you need to prove damages. You should be able to fill the spot in a week so paying him 30k pm. Is it worth potentially regaining 7.5k assuming the post was subbed then fillled.

Where would you due and who do you serve for the appearance?

Forget it

On 2/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, IssanDad said:

Unfortunately much more often than nor its the other way round. With the school pulling the rug from under the teacher with some fabricated or trumped reason. Also complete out right lies. As has been my experience. The have no regard for the teacher or the position they are left. Also they care little in reality for how much  the teacher is loved. Reasons behind terminations issues, are frequently unrelated to the teachers teach ability. Things as simple as  poor budgeting by the school director and the sudden need to recoup finances, There is absolutely no loyalty or respect for foreign teachers in typical government schools.

So true.

Contracts for teachers in Thailand are not worth the paper they are printed on!

Well, I have been an Indiam all my life but never a chief (administrator, HR, ...). No call, no show has been an issue with foreign teachers losing 2 paid days for this. Just make the call!

A: Since this is a) the probationary period and b) it goes both ways, I doubt you can get compensation. Although this is very bad behavior and will harm teachers following him, no doubt. 

My school has added 10 days' wait to reduce such walk-outs after payday. This kinda upsets me and makes me question the legality of that policy.

Stay in touch with hired guys. I would want to know what made them do it?

12 hours ago, onlycw said:

Well, I have been an Indiam all my life but never a chief (administrator, HR, ...). No call, no show has been an issue with foreign teachers losing 2 paid days for this. Just make the call!

A: Since this is a) the probationary period and b) it goes both ways, I doubt you can get compensation. Although this is very bad behavior and will harm teachers following him, no doubt. 

My school has added 10 days' wait to reduce such walk-outs after payday. This kinda upsets me and makes me question the legality of that policy.

Stay in touch with hired guys. I would want to know what made them do it?

I completely understand what you said.

Maybe some people, although unprofessional from western standards, have seen many no replies or no shows in Asia or Thailand for that matter. They have adopted similar behavior as its more common to simply not respond or not call. Just a few thoughts on why people may do it. 

Teachers are flaky af. Of the 50 teachers I've worked with over five years and few outside aquaintences I'd say about 15% could do the job. Almost none kept proper office hours. Seemingly impossible to get foreign teachers to put in a 40 hour week.

None could hold even a reasonably respectable office job at home (that's why they're here). Money here in same as money in home country. Money goes further. No accountability.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:31 AM, kingstonkid said:

Simple really  If you gave him the paperwork to get a work visa contact immigration and cancel it.  As to the teacher let him go and find another.  As you said there are many out there some more highly qualified than the idiot you hired

Huh? You mean cancelling a B-VISA? Good luck with that! (No good deed goes unpunished)

Archived