Clock Ticking On Junta Party’s PM Offer To Prayuth

webfact

Looks like little P and the watch man have been well and truly outmanoeuvred again, that's what you get when you promote on family rather than on intelligence or aptitude 

One things for sure there will be interesting times ahead and maybe, just maybe a chance for a fresh start. Time will tell.... 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like some of our problems may have been solved, with regard to immigration, the declining quality of life here, and the massive xenophobia that has gripped this administration. With the announcement of Princess Ubolratana running for PM, there is a near certainty that Prayuth is finished, and along with him, the hostile policies directed at foreigners. I doubt anyone can beat her. She is the daughter of a very noble man, who is beloved by the nation, she has done alot of good work for the nation, and she seems to be very well liked and respected. This is an amazing development, and potentially a game changer for the Thailand, setting it back onto a path of progress, moving forward toward democracy. I may sound optimistic, and I am. I despise the army, and Prayuth, as do the vast majority of Thais, and 98% of the ex-pat community, for very good reasons. This woman was born in Switzerland, attended primary to secondary levels at Chitralada School in Thailand. She then went to the United States for her tertiary education. She studied at MIT, graduating with a Bachelor of Science in mathematics in 1973. She later obtained a master's degree in public health at UCLA, and is more than likely not the xenophobe that is the very embodiment of both Prayuth and the Biggest Joke. I hope and pray she prevails in the election. I doubt anyone could seriously challenge her. 

5 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Looks like little P and the watch man have been well and truly outmanoeuvred again, that's what you get when you promote on family rather than on intelligence or aptitude 

One things for sure there will be interesting times ahead and maybe, just maybe a chance for a fresh start. Time will tell.... 

She may have developed western, democratic sympathies in her life before.  But she has no more political background than Yingluck, really.  If she is parachuted in, and wins, there will be Thaksin whispering in one ear and her family in the other.

Interesting times indeed.  Not everyone seems to be looking for a fresh start. Obedience to old values is a strong force now.

3 minutes ago, greeneking said:

She may have developed western, democratic sympathies in her life before.  But she has no more political background than Yingluck, really.  If she is parachuted in, and wins, there will be Thaksin whispering in one ear and her family in the other.

Interesting times indeed.  Not everyone seems to be looking for a fresh start. Obedience to old values is a strong force now.

Lets think..... intelligent worldly person loved by the people or unintelligent, poorly educated buffoon tolerated because he has guns

Not the hardest of decisions really but no doubt the same old faces will be having lots of but, but taksin moments....

She's as close to a fresh start as going get, wouldn't be surprised if gets pulled from the running though or results by magic amazingly favoured to uncle buck .

One would hope her background would keep things cleaner than past and present and hopefully blend both factions into something slightly palatable .

Uncle Buck still in the race as they been planning this for years and he wants the PM status by election badly (it wasn't a last minute decision or for good of the people lol)

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Looks like some of our problems may have been solved, with regard to immigration, the declining quality of life here, and the massive xenophobia that has gripped this administration. With the announcement of Princess Ubolratana running for PM, there is a near certainty that Prayuth is finished, and along with him, the hostile policies directed at foreigners. I doubt anyone can beat her. She is the daughter of a very noble man, who is beloved by the nation, she has done alot of good work for the nation, and she seems to be very well liked and respected. This is an amazing development, and potentially a game changer for the Thailand, setting it back onto a path of progress, moving forward toward democracy. I may sound optimistic, and I am. I despise the army, and Prayuth, as do the vast majority of Thais, and 98% of the ex-pat community, for very good reasons. This woman was born in Switzerland, attended primary to secondary levels at Chitralada School in Thailand. She then went to the United States for her tertiary education. She studied at MIT, graduating with a Bachelor of Science in mathematics in 1973. She later obtained a master's degree in public health at UCLA, and is more than likely not the xenophobe that is the very embodiment of both Prayuth and the Biggest Joke. I hope and pray she prevails in the election. I doubt anyone could seriously challenge her. 

I have a bad feeling about this....

i do not think this is over by any means...

i would not not be surprised if this falls apart....

the question is what is the next move if the Junta and ultra royalists make a stand? Civil war? Night of the long knives?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Keep Dreaming

It would have been a game-changer, but there was no way the elites could allow it to happen, and the refusal had to come via her brother, which whom she had no doubt already discussed her plans. You can imagine the frantic maneuvering and lobbying that has been taking place behinds the scenes today. 

The main legacy of this short-lived dream, possibly the only thing that could have saved Thailand from decades of military misrule, is that it will make the ordinary people feel even more hopeless.

11 minutes ago, donnacha said:

It would have been a game-changer, but there was no way the elites could allow it to happen, and the refusal had to come via her brother, which whom she had no doubt already discussed her plans. You can imagine the frantic maneuvering and lobbying that has been taking place behinds the scenes today. 

The main legacy of this short-lived dream, possibly the only thing that could have saved Thailand from decades of military misrule, is that it will make the ordinary people feel even more hopeless.

Yes, it has been announced that the candidacy has not been allowed (I actually predicted this to some of my Thai colleagues at work).

So: Prayut can and will surely continue!

I foresee very conflict-ridden times - great divisiveness and great grievances ...

20 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, it has been announced that the candidacy has not been allowed

No, the candidacy has not been refused - there would be no legal grounds to do so - but [a high-profile individual] has been pressured into denouncing it, which makes it unfeasible for her to continue. Far more effective. Game, set, and match to Prayuth.

11 minutes ago, donnacha said:

No, the candidacy has not been refused - there would be no legal grounds to do so - but her brother has denounced it, which makes it unfeasible for her to continue. Far more effective. Game, set, and match to Prayuth.

Well, to all intents and purposes and in any realistic, practical sense (given the exalted source from which the latest decision has been pronounced),  her candidacy (right to stand in the election) has effectively NOT been permitted!

9 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Well, to all intents and purposes (given the source from which the latest decision has been pronounced),  her candidacy (right to stand in the election) has effectively NOT been permitted!

I would not usually quibble but, in this case, the distinction is important. She retains her right to run, but will not.

This power move by the elites reflects panic. It is the "nuclear option", a highly risky tactic that endangers the long-term esteem in which the [person denouncing the candidacy] is held by the people. There will now be a big "what if" hanging over Thai politics for decades to come.

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

I would not usually quibble but, in this case, the distinction is important. She retains her right to run, but will not.

This power move by the elites reflects panic. It is the "nuclear option", a highly risky tactic that endangers the long-term esteem in which the King is held by the people. There will now be a big "what if" hanging over Thai politics for decades to come.

I disagree with your interpretation of the situation (no point in us quibbling over that) - but I agree with your implicit view (unless I misconstrue your feelings on the matter!) that things could get quite hairy in the body politic from hereon in!

5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Well, to all intents and purposes (given the exalted source from which the latest decision has been pronounced),  her candidacy (right to stand in the election) has effectively NOT been permitted!

Wow. I have spent a day or so on a train to the deep south and back. Had a drink, chatted with the local Muslims, read some Paul Theroux... I was blissfully news-free.

But I nearly choked upon this news. Politics and current affairs are suddenly very interesting indeed...

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

Wow. I have spent a day or so on a train to the deep south and back. Had a drink, chatted with the local Muslims, read some Paul Theroux... I was blissfully news-free.

But I nearly choked upon this news. Politics and current affairs are suddenly very interesting indeed...

Yes, Baboon - it's been an AMAZING day - totally unforeseen (by me, anyway!). But a block has now effectively been placed on things. We of course must be careful what we say ...

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I disagree with your interpretation of the situation (no point in us quibbling over that) - but I agree with your implicit view (unless I misconstrue your feelings on the matter!) that things could get quite hairy in the body politic from hereon in!

Well, facts are not subjective, but, yes, we agree on the likely knock-on effects.

7 minutes ago, donnacha said:

This power move by the elites reflects panic. It is the "nuclear option", a highly risky tactic that endangers the long-term esteem in which the [person denouncing the candidacy] is held by the people. There will now be a big "what if" hanging over Thai politics for decades to come.

Yes, Sir. I am still catching up on the news, but talk about the elephant in the room. The stakes being gambled right now seem almost unimaginable for the losers, whoever they may be...

8 minutes ago, baboon said:

Yes, Sir. I am still catching up on the news, but talk about the elephant in the room. The stakes being gambled right now seem almost unimaginable for the losers, whoever they may be...

I think it's all done and dusted again now (after tonight's dramatic defusing of the atom bomb) - as I (and many others have been saying for months): Prayut cannot allow himself (or his clique) to lose.

Interpret that how you will!

Before jumping to any conclusions I would wait for tomorrow or Monday .

nomination was made, accepted and announced and confirmed by afternoon.

by evening , things changed, however no changes have been made.

there is still 2 days of weekend for more developments and outcome is anyone’s guess.

i do not believe nomination was decided on overnight and some were unaware, just as I do not believe they were not prepared for evening statement.

this is Thailand , nothing ever is black and white 

10 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, Baboon - it's been an AMAZING day - totally unforeseen (by me, anyway!). But a block has now effectively been placed on things. We of course must be careful what we say ...

But such a block is a huge issue in itself. How do they make this one go away - a story that suddenly makes the Watch Scandal, small fry? 

Just now, baboon said:

But such a block is a huge issue in itself. How do they make this one go away - a story that suddenly makes the Watch Scandal, small fry? 

I think longer-term it will NOT go away. That is why a few posts further back, I predicted very conflict-riven times!

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

Before jumping to any conclusions I would wait for tomorrow or Monday .

nomination was made, accepted and announced and confirmed by afternoon.

by evening , things changed, however no changes have been made.

there is still 2 days of weekend for more developments and outcome is anyone’s guess.

i do not believe nomination was decided on overnight and some were unaware, just as I do not believe they were not prepared for evening statement.

this is Thailand , nothing ever is black and white 

No, It's like a London crime gang - just various shades of Kray.

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I think longer-term it will NOT go away. That is why a few posts further back, I predicted very conflict-riven times!

Indeed. It is known now that the Good People are obviously in a state of disarray. Keeping the lid on this pot in the age of social media...?

Not sure its over, people might still vote for the party she was running for.

It was great advertisement and everyone knows them now and everyone also knows who supports that party even if only unofficially.

Maybe after all it was a marketing stunt that may work out?

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Not sure its over, people might still vote for the party she was running for.

It was great advertisement and everyone knows them now and everyone also knows who supports that party even if only unofficially.

Maybe after all it was a marketing stunt that may work out?

I don't think it really matters whom they vote for - the fix is already in (once again - after the temporary, deflected atomic blast) ....

Archived