Clock Ticking On Junta Party’s PM Offer To Prayuth

webfact

6 hours ago, Eligius said:

Yes, Eric. I think Thaksin's plan was potentially a master-stroke. He truly believed that he had the relevant parties on-board - and that he had found a way to break the gridlock in Thai politics for several years to come. He knew that if his candidate was voted in by the people - and no manipulations of, or lies about, the vote would have dared to take place, given THAT candidate (and everyone and his pet cat knows that that WOULD indeed have been the case) - then Prayut and his power-group would have lost everything. A whole new direction and dimension would have been brought into Thai politics. A chance for a new beginning.

But Thaksin did not know that there was a very, very cunning and malicious plot in place, in which Prayut was centrally involved (cannot say more). Thaksin's potentially brilliant move backfired, and Prayut reigns even more securely and more strongly now than before. Now there is nothing to stop Prayut riding to victory in the 'polls'. He is home and dry -  (for the time being ....!).

We do not know that at this point. One thing I do know from talking to countless Thais about this, is that Prayuth and the army are despised now, more than ever before in recent Thai history. Most Thais, and most ex-pats see right through the charade of guys like Biggest Joke. So, I believe nearly anyone who declares their candidacy, has a good shot at beating the little guy. He is truly hated, and for good reason. Let us hope he is sent out to pasture, with his hapless army. They are not needed, they are not wanted, they are nearly useless.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We do not know that at this point. One thing I do know from talking to countless Thais about this, is that Prayuth and the army are despised now, more than ever before in recent Thai history. Most Thais, and most ex-pats see right through the charade of guys like Biggest Joke. So, I believe nearly anyone who declares their candidacy, has a good shot at beating the little guy. He is truly hated, and for good reason. Let us hope he is sent out to pasture, with his hapless army. They are not needed, they are not wanted, they are nearly useless.

You may well be right, Spidermike007. 

I am becoming increasingly interested in the idea that the military is split into two main sides - and that the side of a certain person is turning against Prayut. It could well be.

But even if another faction of the military took over Thailand (in the form of a dictatorship) - it would still be totally unacceptable to anyone who believes in the will and rule of the people, and freedom of expression and conscience.

11 minutes ago, Eligius said:

ut even if another faction of the military took over Thailand (in the form of a dictatorship) - it would still be totally unacceptable to anyone who believes in the will and rule of the people, and freedom of expression and conscience.

the Thais will probably except it

45 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I am becoming increasingly interested in the idea that the military is split into two main sides - and that the side of a certain person is turning against Prayut. It could well be.

But even if another faction of the military took over Thailand (in the form of a dictatorship) - it would still be totally unacceptable to anyone who believes in the will and rule of the people, and freedom of expression and conscience.

And even harder to criticize or change. Even less likely to feel Thailand should be advancing to be a modern, open and democratic country of free citizens.

16 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

While apparently the entire military leadership has been summoned to Germany.

I can't but help wondering at the views of the German authorities when the entire military leadership of Thailand arrived at Munich Airport!

Do they all have visas to enter Germany, sort of issued with the job?

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I can't but help wondering at the views of the German authorities when the entire military leadership of Thailand arrived at Munich Airport!

Do they all have visas to enter Germany, sort of issued with the job?

Was that story even true though? The other one about replacement of military chiefs was shown to be fake news.

22 minutes ago, bannork said:

Was that story even true though? The other one about replacement of military chiefs was shown to be fake news.

I think that story is true (military+Munich). The journalist who initially broke it is generally very reliable (and was so on the candidacy of a certain person - before last Friday even arrived). That journalist did NOT report the fake news of the replacement of the military chiefs.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, spidermike007 said:

Not strictly true. Before the princess came out trying to run there were scouts sent around our province (Issan) finding out who people were supporting. With the introduction of the elderly food card and the boost in new markets being built, solar panels for farm pumps etc, the junta weren't looking too bad.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:20 PM, Eligius said:

It wouldn't matter if it is unacceptable within a national context if it is supported by certain people. Very possible for a coup to happen in the future. However, in the immediate future (coup rumours), I don't think it will happen. Prayuth and Apirat are still benefiting from each other enough, at least in the short term. Wait for any real major disagreement. 

Archived