Bicycle Trails/Routes rules and regulations in Chiang Mai

Marknreston

I am interested in knowing if there is/are any organization(s) in Chiang Mai (Bike club/advocacy) that interacts with the police or other government agencies responsible for the development, use and rules of use regarding the bicycle trails/lanes and biking in general throughout Chiang Mai.  I am a annual visitor to Chiang Mai and I am here 4-5 months each year.  I keep a road bike so my interest is riding the roads and the paved trails.  I would like to know specifically who can use designated bicycle lanes/trails.  I have encountered motorbikes on the canal road trail around the 700 year complex on many occasions.  Is this legal???? If so it defeats the purpose and I would be safer riding on the road since I have escape routes there that I don't have coming face to face with a motorcycle on a 1 meter wide trail.  IF operation of motorbikes is illegal, where and how can I report these violations.  I know.....it probably won't make any difference but it might.   Please no attacks on bicycle riders riding on the roads or other hater posts. Thanks

I think the motorcyclists are not supposed to use the bicycle lanes, but some do anyway. I rarely see them on the track next to the convention centre and on the occasion I do, they are usually going fairly slow. I think usually they are locals just trying to go a short distance without having to use Canal road. I don't think the police would care enough to enforce.

Contact the Forestry Dept and the Tourist Authority of Thailand:  they keep maps of trails open to the public and the type of use (e.g., hike only or hike/bike).   If you have trouble finding the right office, go to the Tourist Police station up past the zoo and ask them.  The Tourist Police just had a meeting with those entities at the station yesterday, discussing the trails and monitoring their use.

Archived