Bio cleaner for smelly drains

Millian

The kitchen drain in my condo emits a bad smell when running water in it, and nothing we have tried over the years keeps the smell away for long.  However, one day the condo maintenance guy gave us a bag of white powder to put in the drain and the smell went away and stayed away for about 4 months.

When quizzed what it was, the translation I got back was some kind of Bio cleaner.  The maintenance guy has now left and I'm not sure what it was.  Does any one know what it might be?

Thanks for the tip, but it wasn't Sodium Hydroxide, as I have used that before and know what its like. (and the smell comes back after a few days). 

It was explained as some kind of Bio cleaner, possibly that produces its own bacteria (or similar) that helps fight the smell. 

I've had a Google, but a vast range of different product and solutions come up when searching for 'Bio cleaner'.  I'd like to get the same product if possible, it worked wonders.

I dont advise putting the calcium hydroxide down your basin or shower drains. Those crystals heat up to such a degree thry can actually melt the blue pipe, and at best dissolve the solvent cement and lead to leaks inside your house that you will never br able to access.

A flexi waste under a kitchen sink for example will burn a hole tbro in seconds.

As an emergency wc blockage its worth one try but no more.

I reckon the OP has seen the drain cleaning concoction I have at the ready to dissolve long hair and soap. Bicarb and white vinegar.

Its a dream.....you remember andrews liver salts back in the 70s, works tbe same, put the powder in then vinrgar and watch Vesuvius erupt.

Of course all drains smell but you may have had a rotting blockage building up not far from your plugs

IMG_20190207_182240.jpg

rice scraps, and coffee grounds are amonsgt the likeliest things that can cause blockages at the trap itself

one hopes there is a P trap, not an S Bend

one hope there is not a Double Trap scenario in play

are the smells recognisable as Sink effluent related? or Septic related?

Septic often related to Trap problems, or the absense of a correctly placed Sewer vent

one quick little test, is to have a very slowly dripping tap, that keeps the 'trap' inundated. If eliminated, then it is a Septic related (vent type) problem, which as a result breaks the water trapping feature of the trap installed.

There is a proper 'approved' Trap installed?

Most good local hardware stores have small sachets (100mm x 100mm) of enzyme powder for both septic tanks and grease traps. About 80 baht

HomePro etc. usually only has 1l bottles of premixed liquid in the cleaning supplies aisle.

Also At Villa market so probably Tesco and Big C etc.

51ynkGHXS-L.jpg

0128022-1_2.jpg

The Thai ones are blue packet for septic tanks and green packet for grease traps . Buy the green and dump it in. Blue will probably work as well as sometimes they are "mai mie" for the green. OR you can pour the contents into a large water bottle and pre-mix.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

The problem is with Thai plumbing. Your drain is not vented. To solve the problem simply add a vent pipe leading up past the roof line. The septic tank should also be vented.

I can absolutely see this happening in a condo !!

On 2/7/2019 at 6:32 PM, eyecatcher said:

I reckon the OP has seen the drain cleaning concoction I have at the ready to dissolve long hair and soap. Bicarb and white vinegar.

Its a dream.....you remember andrews liver salts back in the 70s, works tbe same, put the powder in then vinrgar and watch Vesuvius erupt.

Of course all drains smell but you may have had a rotting blockage building up not far from your plugs

Thanks for the tip, but again I've tired this one many times and again the smell will come back after a few days.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:45 PM, tifino said:

rice scraps, and coffee grounds are amonsgt the likeliest things that can cause blockages at the trap itself

one hopes there is a P trap, not an S Bend

one hope there is not a Double Trap scenario in play

are the smells recognisable as Sink effluent related? or Septic related?

Septic often related to Trap problems, or the absense of a correctly placed Sewer vent

one quick little test, is to have a very slowly dripping tap, that keeps the 'trap' inundated. If eliminated, then it is a Septic related (vent type) problem, which as a result breaks the water trapping feature of the trap installed.

There is a proper 'approved' Trap installed?

I'm not sure the difference between sink or septic smell.  It just smells like drains to me.

I'll try the test, thanks.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:36 AM, VocalNeal said:

Most good local hardware stores have small sachets (100mm x 100mm) of enzyme powder for both septic tanks and grease traps. About 80 baht

HomePro etc. usually only has 1l bottles of premixed liquid in the cleaning supplies aisle.

Also At Villa market so probably Tesco and Big C etc.

51ynkGHXS-L.jpg

0128022-1_2.jpg

The Thai ones are blue packet for septic tanks and green packet for grease traps . Buy the green and dump it in. Blue will probably work as well as sometimes they are "mai mie" for the green. OR you can pour the contents into a large water bottle and pre-mix.

This sounds like it could be type of stuff we used before. Bionic, enzyme etc.   I'll grab some and try it out, thanks

On 2/12/2019 at 6:02 PM, Millian said:

I've just remembered, the smell also comes out of the drain in the bathroom (not the toilet, but the water drain).

Not sure if this helps identifying if its septic or sink/trap related?

If the smell comes from a drain, then it is likely NOT trapped.  High pressure fronts tend to bring it out when there is not good venting but otherwise maybe not a big issue.

Archived