RAILWAY SLEEPERS where to buy

bloody tiger

11 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Probably easier and cheaper to have a pair of ramps welded up to your spec.

thx for the input but actually railway sleeper ramps are the easiest to make if you have a decent cutting device (chainsaw for me). But cheaper I don't yet know...thus this post. Also the steel ramps can slide on my tiled garage floor and if one slides and the other doesn't, it can cause fender damage (small cars, not such a problem with pick ups etc)

Saw some old sleepers of acceptable wood quality for sale in one of the bigger shops at Khamtiang Market some months ago. Didn't ask for the price.
But think twice: The sleepers were tens of years sprayed with excrements and highly toxic preservatives, containing carbolineum, phenols, cresols and benz(a)pyrenes. Many of these substances evaporate constantly over further tens of years. So the use of old wooden sleepers in public facilities is forbidden in civilized countries since many years, and is regulated as a criminal offence. (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/4794226/Toxic-sleepers-hit-the-buffers.html)

Well now you mention it, I have trawled dozens of woodyards and no one sells them.

But you will find obsolete ones at the station yard as sleepers these days are now very often rsj s.

A typical sleeper would be about 2.6m long, and a 250*150section, thats about 100kg so go luck setting that up every morning for the car.

Based on other sections of timber I have bought i guesstimate the cost each would be 1.5k bt each.

You can make a ramp or two from one 6m 100*50 box for 500bt plus a bit of labour

33 minutes ago, bloody tiger said:

Not sure why a typical sleeper would be that long???? But if it was that would be perfect, I wouldn't need to buy two

It was the original 8ft 6inch size they used under a 4ft 8in standard guage rail line.

Dont forget, sleepers are completely bedded on a solid base and there is very little deflection.

Be aware that an unsupported ramp especially over that length will very likely fail if you drive a truck across it.

Archived