Kidney patient slammed as he buys a pick-up with the donation money

webfact

Kidney patient slammed as he buys a pick-up with the donation money

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Thai man suffering from kidney disease has apologized for buying a pick-up truck after kind people donated 800,000 baht to him for treatment. 

Though his statements in defending his actions are likely to do little to mollify a storm of criticism leveled at him on Thai social media. 

For example he said that he denied giving his mum 100,000 baht - yes, he gave her the money but it was to pay off a debt.

He also denied buying his girlfriend an expensive phone - no, that was for me he said in mitigation. 

Daily News went to the Laem Ngop, Trat home of Sorayuth Phuangsa-art, 28, yesterday after social media slammed him for wastefulness. 

He was undergoing home dialysis when the reporters arrived. He is suffering from Stage 5 kidney disease. 

It was explained that people had donated more than 800,000 baht to Sorayuth or "Phiaw" - now only 310,000 was left. 

He gave a wai and apologized. 

He admitted buying a pick-up but it was in his name, he said. Not in the name of his father as erroneously suggested on social media.

He had been renting a neighbor's vehicle for 3,000 baht so he decided to buy one for himself so he could take the results of his dialysis to a hospital in Chonburi. 

This saved money, he said. 

He also denied he had bought his girlfriend a phone. He said that pictures of him with the girlfriend were put on social media by someone. They were taken ages ago before he was ill and before they split up. 

No, he said, the phone was for me. Sorry about that, too. 

As for allegations that he had given his mum 100,000 baht that was wrong. Yes, he had given her the money but that was to pay off a debt. 

"I was not wasting money from the donations", he said, "I am using it wisely".

He added that if he recovers he can use the pick-up to earn a living. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-07

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On one hand it is so nice to see that there are many very many generous people out there who are willing to put their hand in their pockets to donate money to an ill person.

But on the other his lack of disregard for their actions is quite disappointing and suggests he values his own health less than those who donated to help ease his suffering. 

It is in cases like this that I really feel that survival of the fittest truly is the most effective and natural way.

This is why the motto "charity begins at home" has been mine for a long time.

Were he to succumb to his disease for his greed and idiocy I would feel as nothing has changed in this world we live in except that there would be more oxygen left for others.

Surely that is fraud and a crime if he is using the money for something other than what he said he would?  That coupe in America got into trouble for faking helping a homeless man a while ago and asking for money off cloud funding thing.

I never quite understand why people give money to a complete individual stranger they have no personal interaction with (often in another country), and just trust what they are saying 100 percent.

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

He gave a wai and apologized

My missus' 7-year-old nephew used to do the same at our condo when he would knock over a drink, etc, because he wasn't being careful. Now he doesn't. He's more careful. But if he does knock something over, his first reaction is to make amends. 

Amazing what people can learn when they're held accountable for their actions. 

9 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Surely that is fraud and a crime if he is using the money for something other than what he said he would?  That coupe in America got into trouble for faking helping a homeless man a while ago and asking for money off cloud funding thing.

I never quite understand why people give money to a complete individual stranger they have no personal interaction with (often in another country), and just trust what they are saying 100 percent.

Buying a stairway to heaven 

or whatever.

27 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

It is in cases like this that I really feel that survival of the fittest truly is the most effective and natural way.

This is why the motto "charity begins at home" has been mine for a long time.

Were he to succumb to his disease for his greed and idiocy I would feel as nothing has changed in this world we live in except that there would be more oxygen left for others.

And it's also why parents need to talk their kids every day to build the kids solid understanding of what is right and what is wrong, and what is morally acceptable, and also to teach them budgeting.

Has a useless excuse for everything he has done with the money,

things like this will put people off giving donations to people in

real need that will not waste the money,hopefully, what was his

real reason to ask for donations,to get kidney transplant,as his hospital

fees,would come under the 30 THB scheme.

"As for allegations that he had given his mum 100,000 baht that was wrong. Yes, he had given her the money but that was to pay off a debt. " a typical example

of Thai logic.

regards worgeordie

I want my money back, because you haven't used it for the purpose that you stated but squandered it for entirely unrelated things.

Now what're you gonna do, buster? Sell the pickup truck? Pawn your phone? Let mom borrow more money?

Some people really are inconsiderate and careless ingrates and do not deserve to be lent a helping hand. And no, a wai just won't fix it!

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I believe that GoFundMe has a guarantee that if it is a scam they reimburse the donations.

(I have no idea if this guy used that site).

Not really his fault? He never had 800,000 before so doesn't know the value of it.

He'll be sorry when he really needs the money for healthcare?

Of course when he is dead the family can use the pickup to make a living.

Notice the sad puppy face he puts on. A con artist and a total disgrace. He doesn't realise nor care about the amount of problems he has created for people who are ill and need emergency funding. What's this bullshit about repaying his mother a loan and getting a pick-up, simply isn't acceptable. 

Archived