Consulate support for Expats living in Thailand

johnk67

Hi

Recently the British consulate stopped their service legalising Education certificates required by Expats to work in Thailand. I'm starting to wonder what services International Consulates do offer their Expat citizens and also what services they could offer? I'm interested to hear anyone's views and opinions based on their own consulate services. Thank you

Once you leave the UK the British government does not want to know you. And that despicable woman May has waged a campaign against expats for years. So if you are a Brit you can expect no support from the Embassy in Bangkok or in any country around the world.

14 minutes ago, brommers said:

Once you leave the UK the British government does not want to know you. And that despicable woman May has waged a campaign against expats for years. So if you are a Brit you can expect no support from the Embassy in Bangkok or in any country around the world.

Seems to be case! What help and assistance do you think would be appropriate? In an ideal world ????

For the US:

• Replace lost passport.
  • Apply for new passport when current one expires.
  • Not sure but I think issue emergency travel documents if you need to leave Thailand before a new passport would arrive,
  • Visit people in prison/IDC, again not sure but I think assistance is limited to helping them notify relatives back in the US and giving them/their family a list of lawyers.
  • Notarize documents (for a fee).
  • In event of death of US citizen, notify next of kin and issue a "report of death of US citizen abroad" which will serve in place of a US death certificate if needed for settling affairs in the US. They will issue this only after receipt of a Thai death certificate and your friends/family have to see to getting that on their own.
  • Register births to US citizens and perhaps also adoptions but law on that is complicated.
  • Applications for naturalization based on marriage to a US citizen can be done through Embassies, or at least this used to be the case. Long drawn out affair.

That is pretty much it as far as I know. That and provide lists if certain things like medical evacuation services, funeral home,s etc.  Only contact lists, they don't do the arranging and most definitely don't pay for anything.

I think this is fairly typical of consular services at most Embassies. Costs at US Emb may be higher though...

Traditionally, the chief responsibility of most consulates is the facilitating of trade between its nation and the host nation; issuing customs documents, shipping and export permits, authenticating letters of credit and encouraging mutual trade.   Consulates having to deal with issues affecting their own nationals, visiting or resident in the host country is a relatively new thing and not all countries divide responsibilities between embassy staff and consulate staff in the same way. 

Best to Google your home nation's Foreign Affairs dept for a explanation of who takes care of what.

Consulates are there to forward the interests of their respective countries within the host country in which they reside.  Some consulates find it within their interests to assist their expatriated citizens; other consulates find it within their interests to ignore their expatriated citizens.  There are shades of grey in-between. 

I agree that at times it feels like there’s little “help”, but I do think at times there can be legitimate reasons why it is as such.

Take the US diplomatic missions as one example - they don’t “authenticate” documents as genuine/real; like educational degrees... and that can be a roadblock for overseas nationals who need such for jobs, permits and the like.

But.... I also think that there is a fair question to be asked that because educational degrees (in most all cases) are issued by one of thousands and thousands of State-level public institutions or privately owned institutions, I can see why a Federal-level entity, like an overseas US mission, would not or could not be in a position to place the full-faith and credibility onto a document that a federal-level entity didn’t issue.

Could they (the overseas missions) do more? Sure, i think there’s always room for more... but I can see a legitimate reason why some things are just no-go for an overseas, national-level entity to do for a citizen/national.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On February 7, 2019 at 10:24 AM, johnk67 said:

I'm starting to wonder what services International Consulates do offer their Expat citizens and also what services they could offer? I'm interested to hear anyone's views and opinions based on their own consulate services. Thank you

Think about how much hassle-fre individualized services your government freely gives you when you're in your home country.  Those you get are from specific, purpose-designated agencies like police or hospitals. 

Don'texpect much from supposed career diplomatic personnel that falls outside their mandate. Some people confuse them with hotel concierges.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:12 PM, Sheryl said:

For the US:

• Replace lost passport.
  • Apply for new passport when current one expires.
  • Not sure but I think issue emergency travel documents if you need to leave Thailand before a new passport would arrive,
  • Visit people in prison/IDC, again not sure but I think assistance is limited to helping them notify relatives back in the US and giving them/their family a list of lawyers.
  • Notarize documents (for a fee).
  • In event of death of US citizen, notify next of kin and issue a "report of death of US citizen abroad" which will serve in place of a US death certificate if needed for settling affairs in the US. They will issue this only after receipt of a Thai death certificate and your friends/family have to see to getting that on their own.
  • Register births to US citizens and perhaps also adoptions but law on that is complicated.
  • Applications for naturalization based on marriage to a US citizen can be done through Embassies, or at least this used to be the case. Long drawn out affair.

That is pretty much it as far as I know. That and provide lists if certain things like medical evacuation services, funeral home,s etc.  Only contact lists, they don't do the arranging and most definitely don't pay for anything.

I think this is fairly typical of consular services at most Embassies. Costs at US Emb may be higher though...

The US Embassy/Consulates are one of the best, offering services not only to their own citizens. Any documents in the English language, such as education certificates, can be notarized by US Embassy/Consulate upon an affidavit signed by the applicant. There are few Embassies/consulates providing such generous services, as that of the US.

2 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

The US Embassy/Consulates are one of the best, offering services not only to their own citizens. Any documents in the English language, such as education certificates, can be notarized by US Embassy/Consulate upon an affidavit signed by the applicant. There are few Embassies/consulates providing such generous services, as that of the US.

I would not say that.

I dealt with the some years back over the tragic death (possibly murder)  of a US citizen in Thailand whose family were unable to come here in person.

They were extremely rude and insensitive. Truculent. Acted put upon to have to deign to both with this matter and treated me and the family as if we were annoying pests. Provided zero help with the police (the death never did get investigated as a result. Even a little Embassy pressure might have made the dfiference).  Did provide the certificate of death of a US citizen, and hand over the personal effects (which police had given them) but again, in a very rude, put-upon  manner.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I would not say that.

I dealt with the some years back over the tragic death (possibly murder)  of a US citizen in Thailand whose family were unable to come here in person.

They were extremely rude and insensitive. Truculent. Acted put upon to have to deign to both with this matter and treated me and the family as if we were annoying pests. Provided zero help with the police (the death never did get investigated as a result. Even a little Embassy pressure might have made the dfiference).  Did provide the certificate of death of a US citizen, and hand over the personal effects (which police had given them) but again, in a very rude, put-upon  manner.

Yes. Generally if they notarize something they are only certifying your signature. They, in most cases, do not offer any guarantee of the authenticity of the contents of the document.

They will, for example, certify a copy of your US passport ID page, but that sort of thing is exceptional. Thus the reason they stopped issuing income affidavits since they didn't want to imply they were guaranteeing the amounts claimed by applicants.

31 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

There are few Embassies/consulates providing such generous services, as that of the US.

Not sure what you mean by generous. They can be very unpleasant at times and then want $50 for doing something that would be free in the US and takes them less than a minute of their time.

I try not to use Australian Consulate services, as I wouldn't want to overburden them. The poor dears have cut back to two Consular Outreach visits a year to Chiang Mai, so the strain of that plus the diplomatic functions is obviously taking its toll.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:44 PM, dddave said:

Traditionally, the chief responsibility of most consulates is the facilitating of trade between its nation and the host nation; issuing customs documents, shipping and export permits, authenticating letters of credit and encouraging mutual trade.   Consulates having to deal with issues affecting their own nationals, visiting or resident in the host country is a relatively new thing and not all countries divide responsibilities between embassy staff and consulate staff in the same way. 

Best to Google your home nation's Foreign Affairs dept for a explanation of who takes care of what.

Some few years ago, I had occasion to deal with the Bangkok UK Embassy on a matter of trade/commercial business, they were useless, actually less than useless.  The British Council was of far more use to my company.  For me, they may as well close as they are a waste of taxpayers money. 

5 hours ago, jesimps said:

As an ex-member of the Brit Foreign Svc I can state that up until my leaving in 1987, we offered a Rolls Royce consular service compared to what's available today.

well it's a clapped out old banger now. If you can see it, it must be true. 

The British Embassy just want to know when you are dead so they can stop your pension ........

This is the fee table ....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/768508/Consular_Fee_Table_Order_2016_v2.2.4_updated_3_Jan_2019.pdf

The services they do provide are somewhat expensive. Certifying a document is only 25 GBP, nearly all other documents and affirmations are 50 GBP. If you need a consular officer to do anything else (if they agree) it is a mere 150 GBP an hour plus costs !

8 minutes ago, rickudon said:

The British Embassy just want to know when you are dead so they can stop your pension ........

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/768508/Consular_Fee_Table_Order_2016_v2.2.4_updated_3_Jan_2019.pdf

The services they do provide are somewhat expensive. Certifying a document is only 25 GBP, nearly all other documents and affirmations are 50 GBP. If you need a consular officer to do anything else (if they agree) it is a mere 150 GBP an hour plus costs !

...an incentive to get your admin in order.

30 minutes ago, rickudon said:

i just did a search for help and advice British Embassy,  and this come up.

No big surprise for us ex pats. 

showyourrumptotrump-1120-Trump_ton-twitter.jpg

The U S Emb  paid airfare (800$) for 2 of my friends (15yrs) one 2016,one 2017. IDC 2 months one overstay...other heart and TGF kicked him out after 7 years...no passports till U S gets back $800. each...  The U S Emb will tell UUUU Zero,nothing unless he has the brains or insight to put your name on a information LIST.....THERE SOMEWHERE in America ???????  lost forever.....

I have dealt with both the French and Australian consulates in Bangkok. Both have been equally helpful and friendly. The main difference is that the French don't work through counters and you a better interaction with some cute Thai ladies who speak fluent French with a sexy Thai accent. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 1:42 PM, jesimps said:

As an ex-member of the Brit Foreign Svc I can state that up until my leaving in 1987, we offered a Rolls Royce consular service compared to what's available today.

I would be very interested to know more about the services that were offered in the past?

Archived