Hats Off to Chiang Mai Immigration!

FolkGuitar

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The only beginning of a new era will be when they stop the nonsensical 90 day reporting, but I won't hold my breath.

Nonsense or not - I do not complain this any more since I did it twice online in 5 minutes !

The new era will begin when there is an easy to get, economical and guaranteed residence permit for expats living here since 8 or 10 years without any police, court or immigration issue.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Remove those rosie specs. They may cause you to be bitten in the arse one day.

Perhaps it is due, I have had nothing but positive experiences with CM IO for over 30 years.  How much good experience is required before a pma is justified?

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, BobBKK said:

Goodie for you we don't all have that experience 

Jesus! There's always someone up for a whinge and a whine - for crying out loud - get a life - give it a rest!

We're all sick of hearing the usual moan, moan, moan!

CM Immigration are doing a good job at present - why grizzle?

I've never had a problem with Thai immigration services in ChiangMai. Sure I've had to wait for more than an hour more than once for visa renewal and I've even had to wake up early a few times. But in reality, when these are my biggest problems, I know I should be focusing on all that I have to be grateful for. Long Live the King and Long Live the Kingdom of Thailand.

and BTW FG-man, thanks for the report ???? it looks like I have even more to be grateful for this year ????

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

You need:

Old Passport

New Passport

Arrival cards and TM30 slip

Photocopies (signed) of every page with info from old passport; photo page plus all stamps. (You do NOT need to copy blank pages.)

Copies of Arrival cards, TM30 slips, etc.

Letter from your embassy/consulate (I don't think the IO looked at these, but she certainly looked carefully at everything else.

Simple application form (2 minutes to fill out) from Information Desk inside the front door. They will give you the application form and a queue number.

That's it. We sat in front of her for about 5 minutes for each of us, while she filled in the relevant entry info into the new stamps. Done in less than 10 minutes. Waiting time less than 10 minutes. 20+/- minutes entry to exit. Smiling, friendly IO. Didn't hurt a bit. Nice experience.

Letter from embassy/consulate saying what? Any use-by date on that?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Letter from embassy/consulate saying what? Any use-by date on that?

Basically, just a sentence or two saying to the effect;  please accept this new passport that we officially issued.

Didn't seem to be any sort of expiration date. I had to wait three weeks from the time I got my new passport (and letter from my consulate) until my wife received her's (different consulate) so we could go to Immigration together. The IO never said anything about that.

11 hours ago, namatjira said:

That’s why they hate farang and I do not blame them, what sort of mentality have you got ?

you are the type of fool they are trying to get rid of......small minded idiot 

I’m thinking he was joking and didn’t mean it as you see it. Let’s not fire off the cannons quite yet. Yea yea I know I’m a believer but 

most the time except with wife I beat the odds. 

Thanks Krup 

12 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Jesus! There's always someone up for a whinge and a whine - for crying out loud - get a life - give it a rest!

That is an interesting comment.  The rest of us are sick of hearing the apologetic comments about an agency that is making it more difficult yearly for expats to remain in Thailand.

Reporting yearly for a one year extension, 90 day reports, and TM forms for moving, returning, and any other movement you may be having is nothing short of laughable, unless you are the one who is effected by this nonsense.

Although, I have to give the ring leader of this circus credit for the latest goal post move for expats living in Thailand.  The latest ruling requiring foreigners to deposit their money in a Thai bank is nothing short of brilliant.  

This move is going to be a windfall for Thai banks and the government at the expense of any foreigner who wants to live in Thailand.  The most amazing thing about this clever scheme is there are some foreigners who think it is a great idea, lol.  You just can't make stuff like this up.      

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

That is an interesting comment.  The rest of us are sick of hearing the apologetic comments about an agency that is making it more difficult yearly for expats to remain in Thailand.

Reporting yearly for a one year extension, 90 day reports, and TM forms for moving, returning, and any other movement you may be having is nothing short of laughable, unless you are the one who is effected by this nonsense.

One year... each year... I spend less than 3-4 hours doing my visa extension (myself, not with an agent,)  another 30 minutes every three months filling out and mailing my 90-day report, and another hour two or perhaps three times a year for the TM-30...

A grand total of 4-5 hours out of my YEAR taking care of the requirements of my host country.  I can live with that. No apologies needed.

The latest ruling requiring foreigners to deposit their money in a Thai bank is nothing short of brilliant.  This move is going to be a windfall for Thai banks and the government at the expense of any foreigner who wants to live in Thailand.

No... just for 'some' foreigners. When the 800,000 baht rule was imposed 5 years ago, requiring us to have it in the bank for a month or two before renewal (or show income,)  I made a separate account at Bangkok Bank, put in 800,000 baht, and forgot about it. Once a year I go to the bank, spend 10 minutes updating the passbook, and getting a bank letter, then promptly forget about it for another year. If $25,000 is an financial imposition on someone, perhaps they can't afford to ask permission to live in a host country... Because PERMISSION is what is required. It's not a 'right' as you seem to imply.

4 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

One year... each year... I spend less than 3-4 hours doing my visa extension (myself, not with an agent,)  another 30 minutes every three months filling out and mailing my 90-day report, and another hour two or perhaps three times a year for the TM-30...

A grand total of 4-5 hours out of my YEAR taking care of the requirements of my host country.  I can live with that. No apologies needed.

I spend 4-5 weeks visiting foreign countries to do my immigration paperwork.

It's more fun, but costs a lot more money.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I spend 4-5 weeks visiting foreign countries to do my immigration paperwork.

It's more fun, but costs a lot more money.

When I had my business here in Chiang Mai, I too used to go to S'pore, Malaysia, Myanmar, or the US once a year to do my paperwork. But in those days, with a business, I had a stack of paper an inch thick rather than just a few photocopies. Then I had to do it all over again at the Labor Office, although that was never such a long wait. With a retirement visa, the renewal is a cakewalk in comparison. And now, with the new Immigration office and procedures, it's almost pleasant... almost. ????

53 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

No... just for 'some' foreigners. When the 800,000 baht rule was imposed 5 years ago, requiring us to have it in the bank for a month or two before renewal (or show income,)  I made a separate account at Bangkok Bank, put in 800,000 baht, and forgot about it. Once a year I go to the bank, spend 10 minutes updating the passbook, and getting a bank letter, then promptly forget about it for another year. If $25,000 is an financial imposition on someone, perhaps they can't afford to ask permission to live in a host country... Because PERMISSION is what is required. It's not a 'right' as you seem to imply.

I would imagine the Thai bankers love guys like you.  Before immigration came up with this Thai banking idea, there were few people who ever entertained the thought of banking in Thailand.

As far as "the 800,000 baht rule being imposed 5 years ago," that is not exactly true.  Up until now, we could simply show our monthly pension deposits going into a western bank to obtain a one year visa extension.

The new ring leader of this circus changed that by now forcing foreigners to bank in Thailand, if they wanted to live here.  All over Thailand, expats are starting to leave for other countries.  This is why Thailands immigration offices are so expedient now in processing the expats who are staying.  The expat numbers are decreasing monthly.  

Your pompous remark about not being able to afford to live in Thailand is laughable.  For most foreigners this loonie idea of banking with Thai banks is not about affording or not affording to live in Thailand.  It is about intelligent money management.  For people who are not interested in this concept, then bank in Thailand. ????   

3 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I would imagine the Thai bankers love guys like you.  Before immigration came up with this Thai banking idea, there were few people who ever entertained the thought of banking in Thailand.

It's true, you did have the choice.

there were few people who ever entertained the thought of banking in Thailand.

Really? You took a poll of all foreigners in Thailand, and came up with that result? Or did you just ask your three friends?

For most foreigners 

More results from you well-thought out poll? Or just your guessing in the wind?

Please... stick to facts.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:47 AM, BobBKK said:

Goodie for you we don't all have that experience 

First reply and its negative- gotta love Thaigeezer.

Why not be happy someone got decent service in Chiang Mai, as well as increased proactive service in Phuket.

Immigration are trying to sort things out- believe it or not it makes things better for THEM as well

Better just to grump, eh?

20 hours ago, namatjira said:

That’s why they hate farang and I do not blame them, what sort of mentality have you got ?

you are the type of fool they are trying to get rid of......small minded idiot 

You should save your bile for an issue that matters. You: "Let's see, child hunger or 'she's stylish'? Ohh, 'stylish'! (Now if I could get this twist out of my panties... ")

Went to Nakhon Phanom to do my 90 report. I had to park a long way from the office as the road was closed near the office for some festival. I have a lung disease so it took me a long time to get to the office and recover, the immigration Lady noticed my situation and asked my wife what happened. When we were done with the report the Lady came round the counter took my arm and led me to a Police pickup, helped me in and drove us back to my pickup saying "we have to help our friends" what a lovely experience having had 10 years reporting to Phuket.

10 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Dante is not the only one who sailed thru the IO no storms.

Most definitely not! We never had a problem. At Prom, we did hire a sitter so we only needed to arrive at 8:30, then finished by 9:30... total cost 350 baht. Hardly a financial imposition.  Never had a problem with the IO at Prom either. Same fellow filed our forms for the past three years. Always pleasant and professional. Never needed any 'extra special' documents, always had what we needed. No... no storms for us either.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

5 years of being complete bastards.

2 weeks of pretending to be reformed.

It'll be hell again in a month of two and we all know it.

You could be right. Of course, you could be wrong, too.

Personally, I prefer to be optimistic. It doesn't cost anything extra, and leaves one feeling much more comfortable than the alternative.

Your choice.

19 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Oh goodie an Immigration apologist!  well done  ????

4 hours ago, Psimbo said:

First reply and its negative- gotta love Thaigeezer.

Why not be happy someone got decent service in Chiang Mai, as well as increased proactive service in Phuket.

Immigration are trying to sort things out- believe it or not it makes things better for THEM as well

Better just to grump, eh?

Your location is Phuket* so go to that forum and sing your pro IO song there I use CM IO and they are a pain in the ****

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Your location is Phuket* so go to that forum and sing your pro IO song there I use CM IO and they are a pain in the ****

Have you considered the possibility that they just don't like you? That perhaps you give off a real negative vibe? (Wait one... no perhaps about it. ) And they react to that negativity. Try being a bit more positive and see what happens. It works for lots of us.

9 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

It's true, you did have the choice.

Really? You took a poll of all foreigners in Thailand, and came up with that result? Or did you just ask your three friends?

More results from you well-thought out poll? Or just your guessing in the wind?

Please... stick to facts.

One does not need to take a poll to see the impact on the expat community over immigration's new financial requirements.  

40 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

One does not need to take a poll to see the impact on the expat community over immigration's new financial requirements.  

That's very true.

One can always just make up data.

That seems to work for some folks. The rest of us would prefer facts.

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

5 years of being complete bastards.

2 weeks of pretending to be reformed.

It'll be hell again in a month of two and we all know it.

Fortune teller BritManToo tells the future to CMNightRider, OneZero and BobBKK and any other believers.   After the smoke clears, coming next week online palm reading based on submitted pictures of feet, light blue background required.

Archived