Hats Off to Chiang Mai Immigration!

FolkGuitar

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, jak2002003 said:

Do you know about a thing called a 'taxi', or even a 'bus'?  

Just been there for my 90 report today... at 11.45, and it was all done in less than 3 minutes.  This is a record for me... the best every in 12 years of going there.  They really seem to have got their act together!

I can't help it. 

DO YOU KNOW ABOUT A THING CALLED A TAXI OR A BUS?????

is that kind of like.....

everyone in Chiangmai speaks Pasa Thai, not Kam Muaeng!!!!!  but 'they' do sometimes talk in a 'hard' Thai 

holy jeepers Batman!

you BURN your TRASH?????  why don't you leave it out for the Garbage Man to pick up?

The Thai never go inside the temple because they don't really believe that stuff  

[the farlang, or other foreigner who arrives at 8 or 9 am after the temple building was jammed full.... by 6 AM!]

how about these instead:

Jiang Mai is a province.  and 'no one' lives in the 'Wee-aung' so

after spending 2 or 3 hours driving into the wee-aung... the parking is good!  excellent!  and that's near the airport!!!! that is good to know.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/8/2019 at 9:51 AM, Formaleins said:

Indeed, did my extension this morning, they started working on tickets before 7AM - I had to get the spouse extension, maybe 15 in the queue before me, I was 2nd spouse ticket. We were in before 8 and out about 9am. Spent almost as long waiting for that "young lady" who takes the photos and hands back the passports as we did to complete the application. Had a bit of a mess around - They didn't want my application form that I had neatly typed out and printed, they pointed out it had to be completed in person. So I had the two copies to write out by hand. There were a couple of photocopies they were not happy with, but the girl copied two a4 pages on her deskjet for me but we had to go and get a copy of long marriage cert. done outside as it is on weird sized paper.

Then there was something amiss with a photocopy of my son's birth cert. - still don't really know what it was but again the girl copied it for me on her printer.

Other than that it was almost back like it used to be 15 years ago when you could just turn up and get it all done there and then on the spot.

Hope it stays like this, there certainly is no need to be sitting on plastic chairs in the car park from 1 AM to get a queue number, and looking at the ticket numbers when I left, they were only processing the 3rd spouse extension as we left. So as some posters had already pointed out ( that I totally disbelieved) It looks like you could stroll up at 9 AM and get sorted out.

Hats off to someone, certainly not the person that was running this debacle for the past 4 or 5 years that's for sure.

They didn't want my application form that I had neatly typed out and printed, they pointed out it had to be completed in person. So I had the two copies to write out by hand.

Hi,

Was this the TM7  ?.  I did my extension few weeks back and had everything typed out, accepted no problem.  I hope this is not a new rule.

5 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

I can't help it. 

DO YOU KNOW ABOUT A THING CALLED A TAXI OR A BUS?????

is that kind of like.....

everyone in Chiangmai speaks Pasa Thai, not Kam Muaeng!!!!!  but 'they' do sometimes talk in a 'hard' Thai 

holy jeepers Batman!

you BURN your TRASH?????  why don't you leave it out for the Garbage Man to pick up?

The Thai never go inside the temple because they don't really believe that stuff  

[the farlang, or other foreigner who arrives at 8 or 9 am after the temple building was jammed full.... by 6 AM!]

how about these instead:

Jiang Mai is a province.  and 'no one' lives in the 'Wee-aung' so

after spending 2 or 3 hours driving into the wee-aung... the parking is good!  excellent!  and that's near the airport!!!! that is good to know.

Can anyone translate this? 

On 2/8/2019 at 5:09 PM, CMNightRider said:

Immigration is being able to process expats so quickly because so many expats have already left Thailand, and more are leaving every month. ????  

I doubt so. There are still many who took false income affidavits last year and can still use this year for the next 6 months.

We will only see the effect during the later half of the year.

On 2/8/2019 at 5:35 PM, cm17 said:

I still wonder if it is the beginning of a new era or just my lucky day: good experience anyway!...

No, it's not your lucky day bcos things have improved. You must thank Big Jok.

The only service which hasn't improved is the simple residence cert which takes up to 1 month to process and we have to go several times.

On 2/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, possum1931 said:

The only beginning of a new era will be when they stop the nonsensical 90 day reporting, but I won't hold my breath.

90 day reporting is not that  bad because we can do it  online. They should extend to 120 days instead because 3 months is just too short.

It's only that TM30 that is a  pain in the ass, I don't see why we need to update wiithin xx days when immigration already has that info when we come back.

25 minutes ago, EricTh said:

90 day reporting is not that  bad because we can do it  online. They should extend to 120 days instead because 3 months is just too short.

It's only that TM30 that is a  pain in the ass, I don't see why we need to update wiithin xx days when immigration already has that info when we come back.

I wonder just what the percentage is of retirees who actually can do this report online. There is no need for this 90 day reporting whether it is online, by post, or done personally.

Thailand only do this because they can.

How many countries apart from Thailand actually have this 90 day rule, or anything similar?

I have no idea, but it would be very interesting to know.

43 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I wonder just what the percentage is of retirees who actually can do this report online. There is no need for this 90 day reporting whether it is online, by post, or done personally.

How many countries apart from Thailand actually have this 90 day rule, or anything similar?

Didn’t need to do it when I was a student in Oz. Didn’t need to do it either when I was living/working in Switzerland, Hong Kong, Singapore or the UK 

On 2/9/2019 at 11:40 AM, BritManToo said:

5 years of being complete bastards.

2 weeks of pretending to be reformed.

It'll be hell again in a month of two and we all know it.

Hope not. I renewed my extension of stay (retirement) back in December for the first time (previously in Jomtien) and couldn’t believe that even though I got there at about 4pm, I managed it together with multiple entry (they actually extended closing time by about 10 mins just for me ☺️). It used to take me 2 days in Jomtien 

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

I doubt so. There are still many who took false income affidavits last year and can still use this year for the next 6 months.

We will only see the effect during the later half of the year.

Immigration is asking for proof along with the letter now.  Unless one can forge bank statements doctoring up the amount of their monthly pensions going into a western bank, the days of just showing an income affidavit letter is over.  I have no problem with any of that.  You should be required to show proof of your monthly income.  

I have a problem with immigration teaming up with Thai banks to force expats to deposit 800,000 baht in their banks.  This is insanity on steroids as far as I am concerned.  I'm surprised at how many expats are not only going to comply with this loonie idea but actually think it is a good idea, lol.  

I do agree with you in the later half of the year the number of expats leaving will increase dramatically.  This is when the only option available to expats to get a one year visa extension will be by depositing their money in Thai banks. ????

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yeah, it seems that Thailand is the only country we know of that does this.

If one doesn't  like this 90 day reporting, there are other options like Philippines, Malaysia or Vietnam.

But why do people keep on going to Thailand with all the hassles? LOL

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

Immigration is asking for proof along with the letter now.  Unless one can forge bank statements doctoring up the amount of their monthly pensions going into a western bank, the days of just showing an income affidavit letter is over.  I have no problem with any of that.  You should be required to show proof of your monthly income.  

I have a problem with immigration teaming up with Thai banks to force expats to deposit 800,000 baht in their banks.  This is insanity on steroids as far as I am concerned.  I'm surprised at how many expats are not only going to comply with this loonie idea but actually think it is a good idea, lol.  

I do agree with you in the later half of the year the number of expats leaving will increase dramatically.  This is when the only option available to expats to get a one year visa extension will be by depositing their money in Thai banks. ????

It's quite easy to edit and forge western bank statements using computer nowadays. I can even do it for you. LOL.

Anyway, immigration have no way to verify this because there are more than 10000 different bank statement formats around the world, they won't  be able to know which are genuine and also considering their lack of English proficiency.

However, forging Thai bank books is difficult because they are familiar with the limited banks in Thailand and can check the authenticity later.

So Thai bank books and letter is the most reliable document for immigration because few farangs can write and read Thai proficiently.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yeah, it seems that Thailand is the only country we know of that does this.

If one doesn't  like this 90 day reporting, there are other options like Philippines, Malaysia or Vietnam.

But why do people keep on going to Thailand with all the hassles? LOL

A lot of people came to Thailand, married Thai girls, bought houses, raised kids, at a time when they did not need to do this 90 day reporting, I would never have come to Thailand if I had to do this nonsense, as it stands, I have never done a 90 day report personally in five years, and would do now only as a last resort.

I do not want to leave my beautiful Thai wife who has been with me now for 13 years.

As for your last sentence, I just don't know.

Archived