Storage Unit in Chiang Mai

CangguSurfer

I need to store some furniture and personal items for several months in Chiang Mai.  Can anybody recommend a business offering storage units?  Found one company called "Chiang Mai Storage" (http://www.chiangmai-storage.com).  Their website looks decent.   Just wondering if anybody has used them, or if you can recommend one you've used.

I started a similar thread awhile ago. You've done better than me - I think I got zero responses.

I researched online and the few places I found kept the stored items in an open area - no personal lockers or rooms.

And the prices seemed absurdly high.

Nothing like getting a storage locker in the US, which are plentiful, privately locked, and a lot cheaper.

I may need one for several months later this year - please post your impression if you end up using one.

Actually, I think you'd find the real market for this service in CM is a lot less of an opportunity than you'd think.  About nine years ago, a friend and I did a lot of research (including leafleting a very large building with tons of rented apartments) and providing anything approaching the kind of service available in the US or even BKK was not financially viable.  Convenient access times in a reachable location, a reliable delivery and pickup service, humidity control, proper security, English speaking management or office staff able to actually respond to emails and accept payments from overseas are just some of the hurdles, not to mention the grim possibility of ensuring that a customer doesn't store anything that would render the company liable to criminal prosecution.  It's doable but it's not cheap and to add to that you have the enduring myth that sticking your stuff in a 2000 baht a month student type rental room is a viable alternative.  Unfortunately, too much of the demand still comes from a demographic that simply doesn't have (or want to spend) what's necessary to make it work.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:15 PM, LivinLOS said:

Thats about it.. Tho I was unimpressed with the zero security implications at that location. 

Its actually a business that would be very viable here IMO. 

Thanks for your input.  Was it relatively clean and no worries about mold, moisture?  I'm not too concerned with security (i.e.: theft) as the items are just a few pieces of furniture plus low-value odds and ends. 

Humidity control is a big item.  Books, clothing, furniture, leather goods, and everything else seem to be subject to mold, especially during the rainy season.  It's a big problem to clean up--if it's even possible.  That's one of the bigger downsides of living in the tropics.

• 1 month later...

I have not used ChiangMaiRemovals storage service, but I have had two very satisfactory experiences with moving house with the assistance of Khun John and crew. And, in this forum, over many years, I have seen high praise for his services.

~o:37;

On 2/9/2019 at 5:33 PM, MrBrad said:

Humidity control is a big item.  Books, clothing, furniture, leather goods, and everything else seem to be subject to mold, especially during the rainy season.  It's a big problem to clean up--if it's even possible.  That's one of the bigger downsides of living in the tropics.

Vinegar. Kills it dead. Non toxic.

This post might end up being useless, but I'll put it up anyway.;)

There's what looks like a US-style storage space rental place (24-something?  Something-24?) on the Middle Ring Road (on the right side as you head toward 118 from the Promenada area).  I passed it this morning while on my bike, but took no specific notice of it as I hadn't seen this thread.

It might be a complete wild-goose-chase and perhaps isn't even close to what you're looking for, but if you're in the area, keep your eyes open for it (or maybe someone else knows about it and can provide more info).

• 8 months later...

I left my stuff with CM Storage last year (for 11 months) and it worked out great.  We left 3 of those large rectangle plastic bags you see at the markets filled with clothes and a few small electronics.  When we got back a couple of weeks ago I just assumed we were going to need to powerwash all the clothes before we could wear them, but they were in the same state as when we packed them (no dust, still smelled like the fabric softener), and we just started wearing them.  The electronics also still worked fine. 

As far as dropoff and pickup, the owners guys were right there to pickup on the time agreed to, and when it came to the dropoff this year I just contacted the owner on Facebook, arranged for a time (which was like 6:30 pm on a Friday evening…not very convenient for him I am sure…but he was very accommodating) and the owner did the dropoff himself at the exactly the time we agreed to.  I couldn’t have been more impressed. 

I think I paid like US $120 for the storage, and US $15 each for the pickup and dropoff (a great deal!  I had considered taking Grab into Hang Dong but that would have just been stupid).

I totally understand the concerns that some people have stated here (that it doesn’t look very secure…kind-of an open floor plan with shelves) but the owner seemed honest and professional to me (we made a trip out there to have a look around before leaving our stuff, the warehouse looked brand new and very clean), and it really was perfect for our needs (we were not storing bricks of gold bullion or anything).

I don’t write a lot of reviews, but I had to do this same research last year, and I was having trouble finding info on this place (I was going to use Chiang Mai Buddy…but then they just stopped returning my emails, which concerned me) so I took a leap of faith (because…well…there didn’t seem to be a lot of options), and I am glad I did, and wanted to pass on my first hand experience.  Good luck with whatever works out for you. 

Archived