Video: Thousands of Thais say tearful farewell to celebrity stray cat "Maew Asoke"

webfact

Video: Thousands of Thais say tearful farewell to celebrity stray cat "Maew Asoke"

8pm_VI.jpg

Nearly 400,000 Thais have gone on to a Facebook page to say farewell to a celebrity cat. 

The tom, known as "Maew Asoke" (the cat of Asoke) gained celebrity status after often being seen by passengers using the BTS in the area. 

The moggie was looked after in his later years by admin at the Kingdom of Tigers Facebook page. 

But after a tear-jerking video of Maew Asoke's final moments was posted he has now succumbed to feline kidney failure. 

Sanook said he was never the same after a mate of his died and he lost the will to live. 

Within minutes of his death 50,000 had gone online to express their sorrow. 

Praise was heaped on the independent cat for being very much his own pussy. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-07

There was a recent commotion concerning whether dogs were more important than people.  Cats and dogs are animals.  Yes, they live, breath, live, eat, and die but should not be treated as part of the family because they are only animals.  I know that many people reading this will become irate but learn to be realistic.  Why would so many "mourn" or care about for something they never knew until it goes on social media?

'nuf sed

2 minutes ago, YTP said:

Had the pleasure of seeing this lil guy at Asoke once in awhile a few years back.  Chilling at the top of the escalators, taking pictures with the ladies.  Was a good kitty.

Good you remember him with affection.

I have over 40 and love them all.

SN850581.thumb.JPG.514f155d431077eff542555b748ed03e.JPG

I see the thread has brought out the socially dysfunctional who wish to share their anti social sentiments.

23 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Crazy Thai people. Try care of your homeless people 

It's called compassion. How many times does it need to be explained, that the people most likely to show compassion for  animals are more likely to be the people who volunteer at charities and who donate to charities. Thailand has relatively few homeless people.

20 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Meanwhile, just down the road..............

Cute stock photo, but those are not homeless Thais.

5 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

But no compassion or empathy for fellow humans.

How do you know that the people who are expressing their  sadness have no compassion or empathy? You are projecting. The people expressing their feelings here are also the ones who show respect to the elderly, who volunteer at the wat and turn out for  clean up days. It's the angry foreigners mad at the world who do not give of themselves or their time and who are resentful that the Thais show concern for a dying cat, instead of making a fuss over them.

42 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

There was a recent commotion concerning whether dogs were more important than people.  Cats and dogs are animals.  Yes, they live, breath, live, eat, and die but should not be treated as part of the family because they are only animals.  I know that many people reading this will become irate but learn to be realistic.  Why would so many "mourn" or care about for something they never knew until it goes on social media?'nuf sed

So many socially inept people that are clueless as to the concept of kindness. These people care, because they are caring people. I care too, although not enough to go on line and share in a social catharsis. However, I do understand this is what people do today, and they hurt no one with their sentiments. 

Here's a news flash, our dog and cat is more important to me than a great many people I see walking around. They bring me happiness and joy and  are a cohesive member of the family unit, that unites all of us. Their ability to bring peace and happiness is of value to me, much more than the  angry sentiments of embittered lonely coots who still don't understand that they are all alone and unloved because they are not nice people. Hundreds of millions of people around the world have been befriended by a cat or dog or other critter and that creature has helped them deal with family crises such as sickness, death or financial collapse. The death of an animal reminds us of our own frailty and how fast time passes.

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I see the thread has brought out the socially dysfunctional who wish to share their anti social sentiments.

As a Registered Clinical Psychologist, functioning at a high social level, please let me know how you arrived at your conclusion about my anti-social sentiments.  Also, provide your academic and professional qualifications to make such a statement, about people you have never met nor do not know.  As well, you castigate others yet believe your animal loving sentiments should be shared by others who have never had the desire to "own" animals of the ilk you refer to as members of your family not because they are "embittered lonely coots" but often because they are too busy with other matters, as I am with my occupation of helping people which is very often done pro bono as many clients are too impoverished to contribute to the meagre amounts in my coffers.  By the way, I am retired and no longer live in Thailand due to the pressures put on by the government but continue helping others here in Canada, and I am more than a little conversant with how useful animals can be in assisting people in their daily lives but their deaths never remind me how fragile our tenure on this earth is.

'nuf sed

15 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

As a Registered Clinical Psychologist, functioning at a high social level, please let me know how you arrived at your conclusion about my anti-social sentiments.  Also, provide your academic and professional qualifications to make such a statement, about people you have never met nor do not know.  As well, you castigate others yet believe your animal loving sentiments should be shared by others who have never had the desire to "own" animals of the ilk you refer to as members of your family not because they are "embittered lonely coots" but often because they are too busy with other matters, as I am with my occupation of helping people which is very often done pro bono as many clients are too impoverished to contribute to the meagre amounts in my coffers.  By the way, I am retired and no longer live in Thailand due to the pressures put on by the government but continue helping others here in Canada, and I am more than a little conversant with how useful animals can be in assisting people in their daily lives but their deaths never remind me how fragile our tenure on this earth is.

'nuf sed

You have previously made the claim that you are a registered clinical psychologist and demanded my academic and professional qualifications. Now, you also claim to provide pro bono work for the impoverished, but then offer the statement that you are retired and no longer live in Thailand due to the "pressures put on by the government".

You make a claim as to your professional qualifications, but are unable to substantiate it, and seek to transfer the burden of proof to  me. It doesn't work that way. You have the burden of proof.  As this is a non academic forum, one is unable to verify another person's academic and professional qualifications.

How odd that the government of Thailand put pressure on you, such that you were "forced" out. One can only guess at what the "pressure" was. If you were a successful professional, I don't think it would have been due to financial reasons. Perhaps, it was due to something else. Whatever, the reason, it does sound interesting and I suggest that you start a thread and  provide the story of how the government of Thailand forced to you leave.

You offer an inconsistency that undercuts your claim: You say that you live in Canada. Okay. In order to be a practicing "clinical" psychologist, one must be licensed by his or her provincial professional order or "college".  If one has retired, one is not licensed and therefore, cannot practice.  Those are the rules. 

You have previously espoused opinions suggestive  of a person who is basing his views on notions and ideas that are 40 years+ out of date. The world has changed and there are updates to common practices. That is why professional orders/colleges require active licensees to undergo compulsory continuing education. I have to do 40 hours every 2 years to satisfy my professional licenses and it's a hassle. What you may have learnt in your psychology class 50 years ago, has most likely changed or been dropped since then. For example, my uncle was left handed. The teachers tied his left arm behind his back so that he would use his right arm. That was the   psychology school of thought of that era. Today we know that was  wrong. I don't think you have taken any continuing education courses in the past decade or so.

I do not claim to be a psychologist, however, I know enough to be able to identify wackos when I see one. It's common sense, and for the majority of well adjusted people, they can  pick up the cues quickly. The impression you leave me with is that your sentiments are those of an elderly white European male aged between 75 and 80. I expect that you grew up in an era where you probably still had rationing and were focused on where your next meal would come from, As such, you developed an emotional coldness reflective of that upbringing.  Despite your living in Canada, I doubt very much that you are Canadian bred as your sentiments are quite contrary to Canadian culture. This then brings me to my final conclusion: You do not seem to have learnt anything about Thai culture and its ability to engage in unabashed sentimentality. It is unfortunate that you are unable to understand the compassion that the Thais showed for the dying animal. 

Archived