Video of children in Muay Thai fight sparks renewed debate among social media users

webfact

Video of children in Muay Thai fight sparks renewed debate among social media users 

screenshot_8639.jpg

video screenshot

Opinion among Thais and foreigners was sharply divided after a video showing two very young children was posted online. 

In the video a girl and boy were seen belting each other with fists and kicks in a ring as adults screamed their approval. 

Neither child was wearing head protection. 

9pm.jpg

video screenshot

Some said it was Thai culture and not foreigners' place to question it. 

Many Thais themselves disagreed with children fighting in this way. 

Others thought it was excellent preparation for women in an increasingly dangerous world. 

While yet more said it would not be so bad if the youngsters had protection. 

But amid tens of thousand of shares, three and a half million views and a whole raft of comments, there was little agreement or consensus on the rights and wrongs of child Muay Thai.  

The issue created great public comment last year when an older boy, in his teens, died as a result of a Muay Thai fight.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-07

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

Some said it was Thai culture and not foreigners' place to question it.

Nonsense, if something is clearly wrong, then question it at will.

This is a perfect example of when it is 100% right to do so.

I can see why people may disapprove, then I did karate as a young kid. I got a few bumps and bruises but I learned discipline and how to defend myself. As long as they're safe and taught some restraint it'd be hypocritical of me to say they shouldn't be allowed to practice Muay Thai. Yes, I had crowds of people watching at kumite tournaments too.

I played football from 8yrs old. Tackle. Things have now changed, but the parents on the side line are still the same. My son is Downs Syndrome and he played in the under 12's for three years. His coach was fantastic. My son won a medal in his first game. I was proud of his achievement. The other kids knew of his disability and treated him accordingly. Some may disagree but he also wanted to challenge his limits. That you need to respect. He is now 34. He suffered no ill effects from full contact sport. 

1 hour ago, Greyhat said:

I can see why people may disapprove, then I did karate as a young kid. I got a few bumps and bruises but I learned discipline and how to defend myself. As long as they're safe and taught some restraint it'd be hypocritical of me to say they shouldn't be allowed to practice Muay Thai. Yes, I had crowds of people watching at kumite tournaments too.

All martial arts, if taught correctly, improve health, mental as well as physical, increase confidence and therefore self control and provide self defense techniques.

Competition or sport sparring gained in popularity after martial arts started being marketed in Western developed countries. I've been lucky (and very selective) when choosing my instructors in various countries. They taught real martial arts not some quick sports sparring focused creation aimed at promoting competitions to attract paying customers i.e. learners.

It's wrong, IMO, to teach really young people in this way. Bones and bodies are still developing. There was a trend in the UK a while ago to have really young children in Tae Kwondo or Karate competions - usually some jerk who'd formed his own association with all sorts of ways to make money off the parents.

Muay Thai is a competitive sports sparring competitive art derived from traditional Thai martial arts. If children want to start training young then I'd prefer them to be taught the traditional martial arts first which would also condition their bodies as they develop; rather than being pushed into a ring and walloping someone while they wallop you back!

I tried school boy boxing at 12/13. My opinion is that's about right for contact sports. Any younger should be very strictly regulated  

28 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

I played football from 8yrs old. Tackle. Things have now changed, but the parents on the side line are still the same. My son is Downs Syndrome and he played in the under 12's for three years. His coach was fantastic. My son won a medal in his first game. I was proud of his achievement. The other kids knew of his disability and treated him accordingly. Some may disagree but he also wanted to challenge his limits. That you need to respect. He is now 34. He suffered no ill effects from full contact sport. 

I'm guessing from the term "Tackle" you played American Football?

We played soccer from 6-11. I went to a Rugby Football playing senior school. We started contact Rugby at 11. No protective gear. Very few if any even had gum shields! Things were indeed very different then.

I let my then step-son take up martial arts at 13. Shotokan karate was his choice. We put him straight in with the adults, so he attended the same training nights as me, with same people and went all the way to his black belt. There was a junior section but too be honest many parents seemed to regard it more as a Saturday creche to leave the kids while they went shopping! The instructors was excellent, a PE teacher and great coach, who really looked after them and ensured they didn't just batter one another.

I agree that you need respect. And some physical contact. But also with some common sense. Letting kids kick and punch one another, to the head, with no protection isn't sensible,

Well, with the pillows on their hands nobody is going to get physically injured, but this type of aggressive behavior will do nothing for their social development. The problems will occur in a few years when they fill out and strengthen. Then damage can and will occur. Both looked to be well trained and focused. The girl being the aggressor. I don't see a bright future for either of these two. Parents living off their children's ring fighting when they should be focused on their schooling. Jesus wept.  

How pleasant to see how parents,  turn there children into retards

like themselves.

The only thing missing, is the new Fighting Fish logo, on everything.

Just to keep that message of,  fighting is good,  out there to the world.

Hope to see this on, the world news in the next few days

Disgusting behaviour Thailand.

You will do anything for money  :bah:

2 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

How pleasant to see how parents,  turn there children into retards

like themselves.

The only thing missing, is the new Fighting Fish logo, on everything.

Just to keep that message of,  fighting is good,  out there to the world.

Hope to see this on, the world news in the next few days

Disgusting behaviour Thailand. :bah:

Yes, because turning kids into obese materialistic no skilled creampuffs is not disgusting.

What can you say...  Parents here, drive motorcycles without helmets for their kids, drive vehicles with their children not wearing seat-belts (god forbid a proper carseat), or free range (as in wandering chicken or soi dog) in the back of a truck.

A lot of us here, played contact sports.  It's healthy part of growing up.  I played hockey, lacrosse, football (real football), had to wear a helmet and PPE, and learn to deal with the tears, breaks and bruises.  

Personally, I can't imagine subjecting my kid to, or making the choice to condone unprotected head beatings and potential trauma for them.  But hey, I'm not Thai....  

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

I'm guessing from the term "Tackle" you played American Football?

Rugby League and Union.

I was concussed once in 11 years of playing football. Sore body the next day sometimes. But I saw it as exercise and challenging my self belief, without being a goon. I saw some people go in with the intent to hurt, but that sickened me and most of my team mates.

Parents are usually the worse ones at the field. 

The original post appears to be grandstanding to create hype among the xpat community. 

I see nothing wrong with this. I am an ex Tae Kwon Do black belt and I teach my 7-year old daughter what I can remember and what my ageing body let's me. Unfortunately we are living in a politically correct, namby pamby world full of pussies nowadays and this sort of thing clearly gets the goat of those that are of that ilk. Kids start any kind of sport at a young age nowadays and this is no different. Why should we interfere in other peoples cultures.

You should worry more about the way kids are treated in the West by the likes of American and Australia who lock them up away from their families. And also what about the poor kids in ware-torn countries like Syria and the Yemen. All of the bloody West's doing and who don't give a 5h1Te about the killing. At least these kids are alive and seem to be OK with what they are doing. The only one thing that's missing is head guards.

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Until someone dies. But even that is not enough to understand whats right or wrong.

Only in November 2018:

The death of a 13-year-old boy knocked out during a kickboxing match in Thailand has prompted renewed calls for a ban on bouts involving children.

Anucha Tasako died of a brain haemorrhage after a Muay Thai, or Thai boxing, charity fight near Bangkok on Saturday.

Culture???

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

All martial arts, if taught correctly, improve health, mental as well as physical, increase confidence and therefore self control and provide self defense techniques.

Competition or sport sparring gained in popularity after martial arts started being marketed in Western developed countries. I've been lucky (and very selective) when choosing my instructors in various countries. They taught real martial arts not some quick sports sparring focused creation aimed at promoting competitions to attract paying customers i.e. learners.

It's wrong, IMO, to teach really young people in this way. Bones and bodies are still developing. There was a trend in the UK a while ago to have really young children in Tae Kwondo or Karate competions - usually some jerk who'd formed his own association with all sorts of ways to make money off the parents.

Muay Thai is a competitive sports sparring competitive art derived from traditional Thai martial arts. If children want to start training young then I'd prefer them to be taught the traditional martial arts first which would also condition their bodies as they develop; rather than being pushed into a ring and walloping someone while they wallop you back!

I tried school boy boxing at 12/13. My opinion is that's about right for contact sports. Any younger should be very strictly regulated  

As a long time martial artist I have been in contact with eastern ideas of fighting. Practically every country in the west has its own form of martial art too...and as for making a show of it that goes back a long long way. Even today we have full contact martial art sport...and how about the boxing matches where one sees blood often. No I think western foreigners have just as good idea about what's going on as Thais do. A comparison with modern day Taekwondo video with 5 year old boys where the emphasis is on safety. However another difference is that while the parents want their children to be good at sport they also want their children to be able to go to school the next day. Thai parents would seem to be unconcerned for their child's safety.

A criticism against modern contact sports is that they are far removed from the original ancient idea of self defense and unarmed combat. There are no rules in a street attack/fight.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In the video a girl and boy were seen belting each other with fists and kicks

Some said it was Thai culture

Definitely Thai culture. And perpetuated in Thai soap operas. And enacted in many families and relationships.

Yes, worth saving.

It seems that anyone having had experience when they were young of doing contact sports is basically in favour of it (with certain controls in place).  Whilst all the whingers have not had such experiences.  I would say - don't knock something until you have had experience of it.  My Sifu (I studied Kung <deleted> - though I was a lot older when I took it up), used to take students out to China to train there.  There were a lot of injuries there and many students fell by the wayside.  But those that made it through were seriously talented, tough MFs. Again - a different outlook on life.

Salve for egos of lame parents, oops, well placed but accidental kick...there go his/her liver/kidney. I boxed in High School, three 2 minute rounds, 16-ounce gloves. Learned great respect for professional boxers who routinely went 10 rounds.

Archived