BANGKOK
phuketsub

Vulgar speech and gestures in the classroom

19 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Well I didn't. I spoke to my daughter as if it was her first language from the day she was born just as my wife did when speaking Thai to her.. Kids can easily pick up several languages at the same time. Why should they need to learn to speak in different ways? 

Before my Boy turned three , he could string long sentences together in English "I dont want to go to the supermarket , I want to go swimming" , I did have to teach him English quick , as my Thai isnt good , English is our only form of communication 

• Like 1

I have 4 cats in my home, they are mostly bilingual although they respond to English more readily than Thai. 

3 minutes ago, anterian said:

I have 4 cats in my home, they are mostly bilingual although they respond to English more readily than Thai. 

yes! to say from Thai, asking "let(Me-ow)t" would have really have been a trans(litter)ation

Chairman Meeow only needs 7 different ways to say (demand) whatever he wants!

the first sentence should comes out as "good mee-ate buddy pal, where's my'eow food?"

I bet they respond to a kick up the bum better than Thai or English.😁

Posted (edited)
On 2/7/2019 at 7:35 AM, Spidey said:

He's 6 and he's Thai. I want him to learn Thai first. Starting to teach him Lao/Issan now.

Not the best way of doing it. Kids around 2 or 3 are like sponges and can pick up two of three languages at that age. They will end up speaking like natives. Depending on who they have been learning from of course.😁

If you leave teaching anybody English much beyond 6 or 7 they will never learn all of the verb forms and tenses. As Thai verbs have no tenses it will become a barrier to learning them properly in English.

Edited by rasg

6 minutes ago, rasg said:

Not the best way of doing it. Kids around 2 or 3 are like sponges and can pick up two of three languages at that age. They will end up speaking like natives. Depending on who they have been learning from of course.😁

If you leave teaching anybody English much beyond 6 or 7 they will never learn all of the verb forms and tenses. As Thai verbs have no tenses it will become a barrier to learning them properly in English.

Firstly, that's untrue. Secondly, why would I be desperate for him to learn English? Thirdly, he has an English lesson at school every day and naturally picks English up from me.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Firstly, that's untrue. Secondly, why would I be desperate for him to learn English?

We speak English in the house, the kids speak Thai at school.

Both kids are fully bilingual, my son is 7, my step daughter is 20.

The boy also speaks an Issan village dialect with his grandmother.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1