Consequences of illegally using 800K for retirement extension after March 1, 2019

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

That is the point it should have been removed because everyone who was retired in 1998 by now, is over 60, first paragraph, 200,000/ 20,000 per month, this includes people in the second paragraph who were 'grandfathered' at 500,000 /50,000 per month!
What don't I understand?

You are misreading it. A person had do be 55 to 60 years old in October of 1998 to qualify.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
no less than Baht 20,000.
(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

This is really easy, first you can reserve the max cash allowance of around 10k USD to fly with, then a few K in gold coins. The remaining you spend in Pattaya.

you can send it out via swift, right?  you have the bank statement showing it came in FTT.

the hand-carry limit is 20k usd undeclared. (according to the googles)  you can carry more, but you have to fill out a form.

Edited by ChouDoufu

14 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

" It is almost impossible to transfer funds out of Thailand "

According to my bank if you can show you legally brought money in then you can transfer it out.

john

That's what I was told at the source, meaning the bank's international fund transfer department.

The lady said I could transfer 1.9 million baht.    

I'd love that as I only keep 900K baht in a Thai bank.     I showed her ATM withdrawals on my tablet but she showed little interest in it.     She just said to come and see her if I ever want to make the transfer.

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

" It is almost impossible to transfer funds out of Thailand "

According to my bank if you can show you legally brought money in then you can transfer it out.

john

You have obviously not heard of Dee Money then have you. Its been discussed at length on TV. Do a search and download the app. 150 baht fee thats all

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

I understand how confusing this must be, but we were discussing how the embassies could easily verify their citizen’s incomes.

So discuss how hard would it be for the Oz govt to verify the aged pension paid to an Oz citizen by the Oz govt. Easily?

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

So discuss how hard would it be for the Oz govt to verify the aged pension paid to an Oz citizen by the Oz govt. Easily?

Issue is not whether  Oz govt in general can do this (obviously the branch/dept that issues the pension can) but whether the Embassy can itself access that data.

I have no idea re Oz but US Embassy does not have any means of accessing Social Security data, it is a privacy issue. No branch of government outside of the Social Security Adminstration itself can access that database.

It sounds like some of the Northern European country Embassies do have access to government pension data.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:16 PM, Longcut said:

What if you plan on leaving Thailand in a year after your next extension. How is one to draw down their 800K over the year? It is almost impossible to transfer funds out of Thailand unless you use a service like DeeMoney.com. Will there be a penalty if one gets caught living on the 800K? If I were leaving, I would not want to be bringing more money into the country when I already have 800K in the bank. At one point possibly midyear, I would be dipping below the 400K baht threshold. How is someone suppose to draw down their funds before leaving?

Send your money to me. I will find good use for it; donating it to poor families, bribing the police, or maybe buying a few beers. Problem solved!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Issue is not whether  Oz govt in general can do this (obviously the branch/dept that issues the pension can) but whether the Embassy can itself access that data.

I have no idea re Oz but US Embassy does not have any means of accessing Social Security data, it is a privacy issue. No branch of government outside of the Social Security Adminstration itself can access that database.

It sounds like some of the Northern European country Embassies do have access to government pension data.

Precisely my point.Tax Dept  have access as well as Centrelink / pension dept, it’s not rocket science. The expat could easily grant permission for use in such a scenario.No will or attempt at a solution.Anycase it’s done now.

Precisely my point.Tax Dept  have access as well as Centrelink / pension dept, it’s not rocket science. The expat could easily grant permission for use in such a scenario.No will or attempt at a solution.Anycase it’s done now.

First, at least in the US the privacy issues would be a big hurtle.

Second, without some programming charges and granting access to people to do the Thai nationals that would actually do the checking.

Third, this would only work for people on a government pension that exceeds ฿65k a year. Average benefit in the US is under ฿50k.

Finally, how would you (or any of us) know what the embassies may be doing?

Yeah, if this was the movies they’d have it done in moments. But the US State Department?

Could they do it? Absolutely.
Will they do something? Perhaps.
Will it happen quickly? I think not.
  • Like 1

You may know that to be what the person who approved the translation intended it to mean but it does not say that. It states that the conditions of retirement extensions are related to a person’s age at the time of reading the Police Order.
I appreciate that this is not a place to discuss semantics and mention it only as an illustration of why there are endless disagreements over regulation and inconsistency in application of the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You may know that to be what the person who approved the translation intended it to mean but it does not say that. It states that the conditions of retirement extensions are related to a person’s age at the time of reading the Police Order.
I appreciate that this is not a place to discuss semantics and mention it only as an illustration of why there are endless disagreements over regulation and inconsistency in application of the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In any event, the English translation has no legal standing.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:18 AM, watso63 said:

The next extension will more than likely be refused in which case you would be required to leave the country. Never leave renewal to the last minute.

Plus the more folks try to cheat, twist the system the authorities will just make it harder and more strict. 

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus the more folks try to cheat, twist the system the authorities will just make it harder and more strict. 

The rule-changes are not based on cheating and twisting, except in cases where this is not done through their agent-partners.  Immigration encourage agent-use with sticks and carrots, though that allows maximum cheating and twisting.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The rule-changes are not based on cheating and twisting, except in cases where this is not done through their agent-partners.  Immigration encourage agent-use with sticks and carrots, though that allows maximum cheating and twisting.

And that's part of what I mean about the officials getting more serious. 

• Like 1