Has anyone tried studying Thai at Chiang Mai University’s Thai language program?

Lemonlime

It's a beginners Thai course, so you can expect that they teach stuff like ordering food, taking a taxi, going to hospital etc, i would consider this as useful. I doubt they dive deep into any topic, so probably all they teach can be considered as useful.

The bigger question would be how they teach and if this matches your style, but to figure this out you should probably just attend a class and see if you like what they do.

It's very basic Thai.

It will enable you to buy food, ask for direction but you won't be able to watch videos in Thai and understand.

Another option is YMCA Thai classes which allows you more flexibility on whether you want to continue to the next level. Each level is only 1 month and you can stop anytime.

Chiang Mai Thai course will bind you for the whole year.

The problem with all these Thai classes is that they teach formal Thai and not everyday Thai where people use slang.

Most people stop after level 3 in YMCA because they find Thai language too difficult to learn.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's very basic Thai.

It will enable you to buy food, ask for direction but you won't be able to watch videos in Thai and understand.

Another option is YMCA Thai classes which allows you more flexibility on whether you want to continue to the next level. Each level is only 1 month and you can stop anytime.

Chiang Mai Thai course will bind you for the whole year.

The problem with all these Thai classes is that they teach formal Thai and not everyday Thai where people use slang.

Most people stop after level 3 in YMCA because they find Thai language too difficult to learn.

So, what is the difference between 2 and 3? I want to start from 2 but they are like, sorry it only starts at May and u need ur crime record but I cannot get it until April but they said everything needs to be submitted 2month in advance... so now I cannot take it 

Have u been to cmu?

7 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

So, what is the difference between 2 and 3? I want to start from 2 but they are like, sorry it only starts at May and u need ur crime record but I cannot get it until April but they said everything needs to be submitted 2month in advance... so now I cannot take it 

Have u been to cmu?

CMU is a one year course where you pay for the whole year and have to study the whole year. I thought CMU only has two levels, the first year and second year.  I've sat for a class at CMU before.

YMCA is a one month course for each level where you pay for each month and you can stop anytime. The writing course is separate from the speaking course at YMCA as most people find the writing overwhelming for beginners. You only need to attend 3 days per week with 2 hours per day.

Another option for fast learners would be Payap University. It is 4 days per week with 3 hours per day.

Thai language is completely  different for European speakers because it's nothing like Indo-European languages where there are many similarities.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

CMU is a one year course where you pay for the whole year and have to study the whole year. I thought CMU only has two levels, the first year and second year.  I've sat for a class at CMU before.

YMCA is a one month course for each level where you pay for each month and you can stop anytime. The writing course is separate from the speaking course at YMCA as most people find the writing overwhelming for beginners. You only need to attend 3 days per week with 2 hours per day.

Another option for fast learners would be Payap University. It is 4 days per week with 3 hours per day.

Thai language is completely  different for European speakers because it's nothing like Indo-European languages where there are many similarities.

sry, not interested in YMCA so stop recommending it

6 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

sry, not interested in YMCA so stop recommending it

Then you don't have much choice, either take Chiang Mai uni Thai course or AUA course.

The advantage of Chiang Mai uni Thai course is they also immerse you in Thai culture and everything is slow. I sat for half an hour there and I fell almost asleep.  

Payap university is usually for intense learners.

Everybody has different taste.

Archived