Setting Up Phone for Leaving

Nyezhov

I got my SIM in September and bought a 6 month AIS unlimited net package. Every once in a while I top up  for the phone calls.

Im leaving soon, and want to keep this number active. I might not be back till November. How do I make sure my number doesnt expire. And, for one time codes, do I set up text message roaming?

I got my SIM in September and bought a 6 month AIS unlimited net package. Every once in a while I top up  for the phone calls.

Im leaving soon, and want to keep this number active. I might not be back till November. How do I make sure my number doesnt expire. And, for one time codes, do I set up text message roaming?
Maybe top up your credits and opt for the cheapest monthly package to be automatically deducted from your account or last resort is the yearly package for 1200 baht .I'm in the same boat as you but I'm just putting some credits but letting my package lapsed and hopefully when I'm back Im still eligible for the Mao Mao package.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

last time I went outside Thailand for a holiday (2 years ago) I called the AIS customer service number and set up roaming for the bank SMS OTP messages and regular phone calls to my thai phone number...seems to me that you can call them and tell them what you wanna do and they can advise the best arrangement for yer purposes re: keeping yer number active when gone long term and etc...call 1175, very helpfull with good english language skill...

10 hours ago, rhodie said:

http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/ 

If you go to one of those phone top up boxes you can add 10 baht and extend validity by 1 month with AIS. Do as many times as required to get 1 year validity.

It's 12 baht per top up, but that will do the trick.

Get loads of coins and head to a Family Mart or 7/11. Get a friendly passerby to help you out with the machine. Usually orange, sometimes purple. 

Keep topping up until your validity shows one year from that day.

Don't let your SIM die, as any new SIM registered from the 1st of Feb(apart from DTAC) gets the new limited plans.

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Isnt there some auto thing? Cant I set up my bank account to pay every month? ot just pay once abd ne done?

Yes you can. 

Hope you will still be on TV cos we shall all miss some of the rubbish you post.   LOL 555

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes you can. 

Hope you will still be on TV cos we shall all miss some of the rubbish you post.   LOL 555

I think Im going to blow out of here a bit early (I was planning around Songkhran) and go somewhere. Ill probably do a fast trip to China, then somewhere else, then head back to the States.

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I think Im going to blow out of here a bit early (I was planning around Songkhran) and go somewhere. Ill probably do a fast trip to China, then somewhere else, then head back to the States.

Well you certainly kept busy. Averaging 550 posts a month. 

14 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

last time I went outside Thailand for a holiday (2 years ago) I called the AIS customer service number and set up roaming for the bank SMS OTP messages and regular phone calls to my thai phone number...seems to me that you can call them and tell them what you wanna do and they can advise the best arrangement for yer purposes re: keeping yer number active when gone long term and etc...call 1175, very helpfull with good english language skill...

Friend told me Some banks can do the otp code to your email instead of sms

Seems like a better option but i Haven't had time to set it up yet

Enable International Roaming. *125*1# send is just one method.

Disable mobile data. *129*1# send is just one method.

Go to a Boonterm machine (orange machine in front of every 7/11) and do twelve (12) individual 10-baht top-ups, which at 12 baht each yield 360 days expiry, 120 baht credit for 144 baht.

Register with AIS, myAIS and install the mobile app.

Even consider getting a new SIM before leaving.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/other.html

Look into AIS VoWiFi calling, see if your phone supports it - this obviously simplifies things a bit. If applicable, install/set-up the app and register.

http://www.ais.co.th/4g/vowifi/en/

Ask a friend in Thailand if they will top-up your number in your absence in a pinch. Obviously, give them the number and a couple hundred baht.

Familiarize yourself with the AIS contact points, online, chat, app, web, FB, LINE, +66 call center number, how to check voicemail.

Make sure your bank(s) have your current number in their systems.

Leave a voicemail greeting with as much detail, and contact info, as you need.

3 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Download the MyAIS app, link your debit card to it then top up 10 baht which will give you 30 day validity, do that 12 times.

thats what I wanted to hear. I have myAIS, wonder if I can do it automatically

I probably don't have to mention it, but I will anyway.

I am with DTAC, but same same.

I have been with DTAC for years.  Always had the same sim card.  Never a problem.  I upgraded my phone, in my home country, and then realized my DTAC sim was the old big sim card (I forget the name they are called) so I had to wait to get back to Thailand, to go to the DTAC shop, to get a nano sim for the new phone.  This meant carrying two phones for a while, because I had a new nano sim from my home country telecommunication company in my new phone, and the old big DTAC sim in the old phone.  

I know the bigger ones can be cut down, but if they made a mistake when cutting it, I've lost OTP for banking, and top ups for validity, so I just kept it in my old phone until I walked into the DTAC shop in Thailand. 

You got your sim card in September, so it would be a nano sim card with adapters, so no problem for you.

Just thought I would mention it for the benefit of other members reading this thread. 

Does anyone know if True, AIS and DTAC will give you a sim card as spare, in case you have your Thai sim card lost or stolen, outside Thailand? 

I do this with my telecommunication company from my home country, when I travel to Thailand.  They give me a spare sim card. It's not connected to their network, it's still in its package, but if my phone is lost or stolen, I can buy a new phone in Thailand, ring my telecommunication company in my home country, and tell them the phone number of the spare sim, and they wipe over that phone number with my usual number, and connect that spare sim to my account, now making it my primary sim card. 

Does anyone know if Thai companies can do the same?  If so, the OP should also get a spare sim card to take with them.

As said before top top to get the full 12 months of validity... If you are going to be away for more that a year you can use your online banking to continue to top up while away... say 50 baht a month that will just accrue to you sim card balance when you return.

Also to increase your validity without topup you can use these sms codes for a fee (but you will need to have the sim active and sms capable to use)

Sadly for the OP who has AIS the sms option to topup validity is hugely over priced! ;-(

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 12.58.32 AM.jpg

15 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Does anyone know if True, AIS and DTAC will give you a sim card as spare, in case you have your Thai sim card lost or stolen, outside Thailand? 

Not that I know. Typically service providers here need to scan the new/replacement SIM's IMSI details into their system (terminals have bar code readers or direct insertion readers now), which then links that new SIM to your number, and deletes the old SIM's details. They want to see the registered "owner" of the number in person, bearing ID, before making changes. I guess you could ask them if they'll give you a spare SIM before you leave but I'd submit that the odds of getting one approach zero. 

That said, there are some post-paid plans which allow up to five (5) different physical SIMs associated with a single number/account. One SIM is used for voice and data, the other four (4) used for data, and the customer can switch voice services from one SIM to another SIM on the fly with a USSD code.

Not that it helps the OP (AIS) but DTAC does have a robust VoWiFi offer, DTAC Call, which, in addition to VoWiFi calling, also allows one to manage and utilize up to five different numbers on one single device.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

On 2/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll look into it. 

Without a spare Thai sim card, I know I am screwed if I lose, or have stolen, my Thai sim card, whilst outside Thailand. 

If you are on post paid and get a Dtac data sim which is an extra about 150 baht per month9nc 1gb extra data and uses the data plan on your package if you lose your main sim you can upgrade the data sim to your main sim to include voice again.

What about I have2 pre paid sim cards. One is my main sim card, with all my contacts, and for daily use.  The other one I keep as a spare, just will little money on it.  If the main sim card is lost or stolen, doss any one know what is involved with changing your phone number in your online banking?  Do you have to go into the bank to do it?  

I am only think of when I am outside Thailand and need the online banking with OTP to pay bills.  

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Do you have to go into the bank to do it?  

Probably depends on the bank.

With Bangkok Bank, changing the mobile phone contact phone number requires a form, presented in person. At least that's what it says on my Bualuang iBanking contact change screen.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:46 PM, mtls2005 said:

Probably depends on the bank.

With Bangkok Bank, changing the mobile phone contact phone number requires a form, presented in person. At least that's what it says on my Bualuang iBanking contact change screen.

After some thought, if you don't have to go inside the bank, they would probably send an OTP to your old number, to effect the change to the new number, so I'd still be in trouble.

Do you you if any banks in Thailand have those little dongle things that you press a button and get an OTP code number?  'm wondering if these can be used as a back up.

Archived