Visa vs Climate: which one will push more expats out of Thailand?

Brunolem

2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

It seems we spend less when in the UK than when in Thailand. Medical costs are a major concern.

Get rid of the wife and you'll spend a lot less in both countries.

As for medical costs, die when your time is up and it'll cost you nothing.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Spare a thought for Australians. 38C would be a welcome relief.

To answer your question, IMHO the tipping point for many expats will be if Thai health insurance becomes a mandatory part of the visa system.

Weather in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai is quite tolerable with the occasional spot of aircon.

32 Celsius today-now 23 (9 pm) with a late shower in the afternoon in marginally overcast NSW (which is a hell of a big place)

Sorry deranged propagandist...how's the filth and the smog going?

Edited by Odysseus123

Global climate change is fairly slow; the hoops and red tape involved with a visa extension process is quicker and seemingly never ending. The climate change will affect all eventually but the visa bother is here and now.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IAMHERE said:

Global climate change is fairly slow; the hoops and red tape involved with a visa extension process is quicker and seemingly never ending. The climate change will affect all eventually but the visa bother is here and now.  

Yes it is.

It is the arbitrary nature of the changes-poorly thought out police orders-that have my mates worried.

I will only visit again as a "tourist"-much better as I remain in control (as much as possible)-to hell with being an expat.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

China has about 2.3 trillion US dollars in foreign reserves, which are the world's largest. It bought Smithfield Foods in the USA for 4.7 billion dollars, so it owns the world's largest pork producer. It is the world's leading producer of gold. Also 95% of rare earths, critical in every smartphone and computer. It produces 11 times more steel than the USA.

Somehow, that doesn't sound like a Ponzi economy to me.

All finanaced by printing money and debt... we shall see if it holds up.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

One can't just take a snapshot of weather and conclude the climate is changing.  Does the recent cold spell in the USA and Canada indicate we are entering a new ice age.  Hardly. 

Not a snapshot... this has been going on for years. 

My best indicators are the winter clothes left untouched in a closet for years, and the electricity bill which is largely influenced by the use of aircon and of the fridge and freezer. 

Meanwhile, the US cold spell is caused by a displacement of cold air from the North Pole, where temperatures are way too high while it's freezing in Dallas. 

Last year, there were days in the middle of the arctic winter when temperatures were above zero celsius! 

I think that within 10 years climate will create chaos in many parts of the world, but of course I could be wrong... yet until now the trend over the past 10 years has proven me, and most scientists, to be right, and even too optimistic... 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I heard from an informed source that the world as we know it will end in twelve years. Not much point in moving now...

I've been here a while and it seems like it has always been hot.

i  heard  that  too...........13  years  ago

21 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Maybe not in 10 years but 25 IMO. North...the effects of climate change will force millions to migrate. Immigration to Europe will be pushed to limits and then full stop...just think when South Asia, South East Asia, India etc. starts on the long walk North due to drought and crop failures.....better start planning for departure already.

Thank <deleted> I shall not be around then.

Edited by metisdead
8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Climate change can't hold a candle to what immigration is doing to rid Thailand of westerns.  Immigrations visa changes will be the clear winner for sure.  

I doubt Immigration will ever be forthcoming about how many expats are leaving Thailand over their clever plot to get westerns to deposit their money into Thai banks.  

Thai politicians will be laughing about this for years to come. It is mind boggling to see how many foreigners are actually trying their best to comply with this nonsensical banking scheme immigration came up with. This reminds me of P.T. Barnum who famously said, "There's a sucker born every minute." ????   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Hmmmm find out who is paying your ‘best scientists’ - when it comes to independents the scales are more evenly balanced.

Also, I though the best scientists studied particle physics and genetic manipulation.

Climate scientists are the ones too lazy (or stupid) to learn serious science.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

32 Celsius today-now 23 (9 pm) with a late shower in the afternoon in marginally overcast NSW (which is a hell of a big place)

Sorry deranged propagandist...how's the filth and the smog going?

You obviously don't look at the heat cells which have been forming in central Australia, and setting new records over the past couple of years. 45 - 46 - 47 - 48. Not propaganda, unfortunately fact.

Weather is fine in Chiang Mai, although I must admit we are not into the full smoke season yet.

Deranged? Possibly true, I still suffer fools gladly.

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You obviously don't look at the heat cells which have been forming in central Australia, and setting new records over the past couple of years. 45 - 46 - 47 - 48. Not propaganda, unfortunately fact.

Weather is fine in Chiang Mai, although I must admit we are not into the full smoke season yet.

Deranged? Possibly true, I still suffer fools gladly.

I have no problem with those who like Thailand (as i do) but i have a major  problem with renegadoes who consistently (often in the face of fellow Australians stating otherwise) put crap on their own home countries to justify their decision in moving here.

To repeat..lovely 23 degrees-you have a major problem with reality-enjoy your golf (and senescence) in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

I have no problem with those who like Thailand (as i do) but i have a major  problem with renegadoes who put crap on their own home countries to justify their decision in moving here.

To repeat..lovely 23 degrees-you have a major problem with reality-enjoy your golf (and senescence) in the middle of nowhere.

I moved here because I don't like American politicians.  You have a problem with that?  

12 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I have no problem with those who like Thailand (as i do) but i have a major  problem with renegadoes who consistently (often in the face of fellow Australians stating otherwise) put crap on their own home countries to justify their decision in moving here.

I justify my decision to move here on the basis of economics. I would be living a very constrained existence in Australia. In Thailand, I live very well. Rent costs in Australia would take 50% of my income. Here, it's about 15%. It's that simple. Car registration, insurance, food, liquor, phone, internet, electricity, water - all cheaper.

I'm just stating facts in relation to average temperatures in Australia. They are climbing, and 23 C will increasingly be an aberration. But stick your head in the (hot) sand if you want.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Also, I though the best scientists studied particle physics and genetic manipulation.

You're a scientist? Didn't think so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

There is no such thing as best scientists! 

No one is studying all sciences, only to decide which one is worthy of one's talent. 

People study a field in science which is of special interest for them, and some become good in it, while some don't. 

Your statement is like saying that the best sportsmen go play football, while the mediocre ones play tennis... ridiculous! 

• Like 1

Just now, Brunolem said:

People study a field in science which is of special interest for them, and some become good in it, while some don't. 

Most people end up studying the highest level of science their high school qualifications allow.

Climate science is reserved for those that failed all their high school exams, yet still want a place at University.

(that or women's studies)

• Confused 1