Visa vs Climate: which one will push more expats out of Thailand?

Brunolem

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I justify my decision to move here on the basis of economics. I would be living a very constrained existence in Australia. In Thailand, I live very well. Rent costs in Australia would take 50% of my income. Here, it's about 15%. It's that simple. Car registration, insurance, food, liquor, phone, internet, electricity, water - all cheaper.

I'm just stating facts in relation to average temperatures in Australia. They are climbing, and 23 C will increasingly be an aberration. But stick your head in the (hot) sand if you want.

Enjoy the heat,the filth and the smog-where you live right now.

You seem to have a problem as presented in Thailand RIGHT NOW..and your chronic default position is to endlessly repeat "but Australia..Australia.."-on every subject whilst minimizing the ghastly environmental problems in Thailand.

You know that I disagree with your calculations and I live here RIGHT NOW.

Never mind-I would never have purchased a used car from the foreigners I met in Thailand,anyway.

Emjoy your life.Pace.

Just now, InsertNameHere said:

I do not see why everyone is so concerned with Climate control I like to go back to George Carlin on this subject......

George Carlin can recite the Second Law of Thermodynamics, and explain entropy?

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Most people end up studying the highest level of science their high school qualifications allow.

Climate science is reserved for those that failed all their high school exams, yet still want a place at University.

(that or women's studies)

Absolute BS. If you want to ignore empirical evidence of the Larsen Ice shelf, Greenland Ice Cap losses, and retreat of glaciers on the Tibetan Plateau, it just says to me you were crap at whatever field of science you were in. Homeopathy, perhaps?

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most people end up studying the highest level of science their high school qualifications allow.

Climate science is reserved for those that failed all their high school exams, yet still want a place at University.

(that or women's studies)

Meaningless... there is no highest level of science in general, only a highest level in every specific field of science. 

A scientist working on quantum computing is not higher than one working on a new vaccine... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Enjoy the heat,the filth and the smog-where you live right now.

You seem to have a problem as presented in Thailand RIGHT NOW..and your chronic default position is to endlessly repeat "but Australia..Australia.."-on every subject whilst minimizing the ghastly environmental problems in Thailand.

You know that I disagree with your calculations and I live here RIGHT NOW.

Never mind-I would never have purchased a used car from the foreigners I met in Thailand,anyway.

Emjoy your life.Pace.

What calculations? Do you know what the adjective empirical means?

I'm very comfortable where i live. it's my home most of the time now.

Frankly, I'm baffled by the reference to purchasing a used car. What does that mean?

I am continuing to enjoy my life. I trust you can do the same.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Any education in thermodynamics or chemistry?

Every engineering discipline (in the US anyway) requires thermodynamics, chemistry, and physics.

Engineers are in fact "applied" scientists. The difference between pure scientists and engineers is that engineers are held accountable for their mistakes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What calculations? Do you know what the adjective empirical means?

I'm very comfortable where i live. it's my home most of the time now.

Frankly, I'm baffled by the reference to purchasing a used car. What does that mean?

I am continuing to enjoy my life. I trust you can do the same.

Of course I understand the adjective "empirical" but we aren't talking empirical now are we-we are talking bias.

To wit-Thai sources state growing hotter-you ran straight to Australia.

Even worse when the subject came up about food poisoning...Thai..11 Australia five million.(or so).The end result is foolishness as one country has the data and the other does not (or invents the figures).

Let me clarify the used car example.."Oh it's a fantastic used car,the best,positively splendiferous-trust me I live in Thailand"

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Every engineering discipline (in the US anyway) requires thermodynamics, chemistry, and physics.

Engineers are in fact "applied" scientists. The difference between pure scientists and engineers is that engineers are held accountable for their mistakes.

Rubbish. I was a research chemist. Most academic courses nowadays omit the study of thermodynamics, too hard.

During my working career, I lost count of the number of times I had to correct problems with data, and establishing most probable cause. About 90% of the time it was because some hot-shot engineer thought he/she could save time or money by making a change in a process, meanwhile ignoring basic physics and chemistry. Can't remember anyone being held accountable for their mistakes, although some had the grace to be embarrassed. Others tried to BS their way out. So excuse me if I don't have a high regard for engineers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Rubbish. I was a research chemist. Most academic courses nowadays omit the study of thermodynamics, too hard.

During my working career, I lost count of the number of times I had to correct problems with data, and establishing most probable cause. About 90% of the time it was because some hot-shot engineer thought he/she could save time or money by making a change in a process, meanwhile ignoring basic physics and chemistry. Can't remember anyone being held accountable for their mistakes, although some had the grace to be embarrassed. Others tried to BS their way out. So excuse me if I don't have a high regard for engineers.

Nor do I for pompous liars. 

Thermodynamics is a lower division course and while it is difficult for some, virtually every degreed engineer in the US has to pass it. 

Correction, it is a 300 level course...

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Of course I understand the adjective "empirical" but we aren't talking empirical now are we-we are talking bias.

Even worse when the subject came up about food poisoning...Thai..11 Australia five million.(or so).The end result is foolishness as one country has the data and the other does not (or invents the figures).

Let me clarify the used car example.."Oh it's a fantastic used car,the best,positively splendiferous-trust me I live in Thailand"

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

AFAIK Thailand hasn't achieved 45 - 46- 47 C anywhere. Australia has. Thailand is probably getting hot. Australia is getting hotter. It's an empirical observation. If you want to call it bias, go ahead.

Granted, there aren't any stats on food poisoning in Thailand. Your point.

Your clarification is as clear as mud. I still don't understand what your point is.

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Nor do I for pompous liars. 

Thermodynamics is a lower division course and while it is difficult for some, virtually every degreed engineer in the US has to pass it. 

It's been taken off the syllabus of all chemical engineering courses in Australia.

Easy to call me a liar from behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's been taken off the syllabus of all chemical engineering courses in Australia.

Easy to call me a liar from behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

Particularly when you are being less than truthful.

I was specifically referred to the US, as (apparently unlike you) I try not to pretend I know everything.

41 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

George Carlin can recite the Second Law of Thermodynamics, and explain entropy?

I do not know if he does or not as it is irrelevant whether one does or not. People only know what they have been taught or learned. One can not speak on something not having any knowledge or first hand experience and even then its still up to interpretation from that individual(s) based on the persons environment. ???? 

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Particularly when you are being less than truthful.

I was specifically referred to the US, as (apparently unlike you) I try not to pretend I know everything.

I always take personal attacks by a poster as an indication they have lost the argument, and have resorted to shooting the messenger.

Engineers build stuff like ships, aeroplanes, vehicles and bridges. Most of the time, they do it very well.

A current example of an egregiously stupid engineering solution to a problem is Carbon Capture and Storage

(CCS ). It's a flat denial of entropy. A few billion dollars here and there have been wasted trying to make it work.  I must admit a leading thermodynamicist, Professor Tim Flannery, was a supporter of CCS. He has now recanted. CCS makes as much sense as a naturalist training crocodiles to be vegetarians.

You're an engineer, and don't like what I'm saying? Fine. I suggest you focus on intelligent refutation of that. You'll get more respect from me that way.

• Thanks 1

These new visa requirements debates are becoming as bad as Brexit,

shall we go, should we stay,plus the fear factor,90 year old has to leave,

Belgium man thinks of suicide over Thai visa requirements,post after post,

thread after thread,on and on it goes,I am up to my chin with Brexit and

the Thai visa requirements is becoming a very close second.enough

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

These new visa requirements debates are becoming as bad as Brexit,

shall we go, should we stay,plus the fear factor,90 year old has to leave,

Belgium man thinks of suicide over Thai visa requirements,post after post,

thread after thread,on and on it goes,I am up to my chin with Brexit and

the Thai visa requirements is becoming a very close second.enough

regards Worgeordie

One more reason to focus on climate instead... 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 7:04 PM, Lacessit said:

Spare a thought for Australians. 38C would be a welcome relief.

To answer your question, IMHO the tipping point for many expats will be if Thai health insurance becomes a mandatory part of the visa system.

Weather in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai is quite tolerable with the occasional spot of aircon.

So true and if it was a Bupa type insurance it would effect a massive goodbye from westerners living in Thailand . Right now I know of very few falangs who hold medical insurance in Thailand with most saying they would either elect to use a government hospital or fly back to their country of origin . AFAIK over 74 it is almost impossible to get insurance . I for one would happy to pay into a Thai Gov; medical insurance scheme but I fear that mandatory insurance will be the next tool to dilute the falang population . Why is that question , do you have medical insurance , asked on visa application forms ?