Visa vs Climate: which one will push more expats out of Thailand?

Brunolem

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I always take personal attacks by a poster as an indication they have lost the argument, and have resorted to shooting the messenger.

Engineers build stuff like ships, aeroplanes, vehicles and bridges. Most of the time, they do it very well.

A current example of an egregiously stupid engineering solution to a problem is Carbon Capture and Storage

(CCS ). It's a flat denial of entropy. A few billion dollars here and there have been wasted trying to make it work.  I must admit a leading thermodynamicist, Professor Tim Flannery, was a supporter of CCS. He has now recanted. CCS makes as much sense as a naturalist training crocodiles to be vegetarians.

You're an engineer, and don't like what I'm saying? Fine. I suggest you focus on intelligent refutation of that. You'll get more respect from me that way.

You did call me a liar first, remember?

You braggadocious blow-hards crack me up.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I've trawled through all the posts on this thread, and for the life of me I cannot see where I have called you a liar. Unless you are referring to an ancient thread.

I'd suggest one of us is going senile, and I don't think it is me.

When I first came here, a non elected general (Prem) was in charge, there were 25 baht to the US dollar, and it was a hot, humid, tropical country.  Now, a non elected general is in charge, there are 32 baht to the US dollar and it is still a hot, humid, tropical country.  Draw your own conclusions.  (Though I'd gladly go back to 25 baht to the dollar if I could be 32 years younger again).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Had to look that up just to confirm it meant what I thought it did.

The very first braggard I bump into is going to get this adjective both barrels. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

When I first came here, a non elected general (Prem) was in charge, there were 25 baht to the US dollar, and it was a hot, humid, tropical country.  Now, a non elected general is in charge, there are 32 baht to the US dollar and it is still a hot, humid, tropical country.  Draw your own conclusions.  (Though I'd gladly go back to 25 baht to the dollar if I could be 32 years younger again).

Ah..to be young again..

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

What  I find amusing it the number of people that (apparently) believe others are impressed when they go on about how smart they are...

A friend of mine once told me it doesn't matter how smart you think you are, there is always going to be someone out there smarter than you. Enough said.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Brunolem said:

The problem is not only about having an insurance. 

If you become sick, say a cancer for example, there is always time to go back to your home country and get treated. 

But if you are victim of a cardiac arrest, while outside in Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket, for example, a big danger lurks around... 

Because, you are a farang, the people who will come to your help while you are inconscious, will not think once about sending you to the public hospital, but they will rather send you to Bumrumgrad, Bangkok Pattaya and other money sucking hospitals, where you will wake up with a nice 800,000 baht bill waiting next to your bed. 

I am insured, but like with many affordable insurances, my policy excludes these hospitals, something that first aid helpers don't know because it is not written on my face... yet! 

That's the issue: how to make it known that you don't want to be taken to these hospitals under any circumstances? 

I have known a couple of foreigners who have found themselves trapped in such hospitals, one of them with a 500,000 baht insurance that the hospital had quickly eaten while he was sleeping, only to keep the bill running at a pace of 50,000 baht a day! 

There are extremely nasty people who run these hospitals and you don't want to become their hostage. 

I am thinking about getting a tattoo saying "public hospital only"... 

Now that is a brand new story for me and I guess for many others . So what would be the repercussions if you were taken to an expensive hospital that surpassed your policy limits ? not your fault if unconscious and delivered to the hospital by dodgy ambulance guys who are on commission but if you were accompanied by a friend then you would be liable ?  

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A friend of mine once told me it doesn't matter how smart you think you are, there is always going to be someone out there smarter than you. Enough said.

A friend of mine once told me: "Remember, and any given moment, exactly half the population is of below average intelligence. Enough said.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:40 PM, CMNightRider said:

Climate change can't hold a candle to what immigration is doing to rid Thailand of westerns.  Immigrations visa changes will be the clear winner for sure.  

I doubt Immigration will ever be forthcoming about how many expats are leaving Thailand over their clever plot to get westerns to deposit their money into Thai banks.  

Thai politicians will be laughing about this for years to come. It is mind boggling to see how many foreigners are actually trying their best to comply with this nonsensical banking scheme immigration came up with. This reminds me of P.T. Barnum who famously said, "There's a sucker born every minute." ????   

Well, it is possible that some folks here have enough saved money for retirement that they can easily afford to keep some in Thai banks.

Perhaps they also think Thai banks are as safe as their home banks and pay the same interest rate; that is, zero. 

Does that brand them as suckers? 

Arbitrarily narrow criteria wouldn't you say? 

Most everything about banks is non-sensical in my opinion. 

But hey, why should I care if you want to feel victimized and/or superior. Party Hearty dude! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

A friend of mine once told me: "Remember, and any given moment, exactly half the population is of below average intelligence. Enough said.

Hmmm. I think you meant 'median' . Your friend forgot his high-school math. But I get your drift. 

On 2/9/2019 at 7:25 AM, worgeordie said:

These new visa requirements debates are becoming as bad as Brexit,

shall we go, should we stay,plus the fear factor,90 year old has to leave,

Belgium man thinks of suicide over Thai visa requirements,post after post,

thread after thread,on and on it goes,I am up to my chin with Brexit and

the Thai visa requirements is becoming a very close second.enough

regards Worgeordie

I would think you be the first to say:

"Well, you can always stop reading it" 

As "Worgeordie disregards" 

????

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 9:03 PM, Lacessit said:

And Esarn. When will you learn spelling in the English alphabet of Thai words is optional, and the only non-variable spelling of Thai  is in Thai script?

But Esarn makes you look semi-literate to anyone who knows anything and has been here a while.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Actully no, I meant average, but I get your drift. 

For that, you would need to have the median and the average to be equal, which rarely happens because the average is generally skewed by extremes. 

The specific issue of intelligence makes things even more complicated, because you have to define how intelligence is measured. 

What is the average intelligence? 

Which unit do you use to express it? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

For that, you would need to have the median and the average to be equal, which rarely happens because the average is generally skewed by extremes. 

The specific issue of intelligence makes things even more complicated, because you have to define how intelligence is measured. 

What is the average intelligence? 

Which unit do you use to express it? 

I don't think intelligence can be precisely measured, but I do believe that if graphed, everyone's intelligence would form a continuous line, with the odds of someone being exactly average, or the odds of any two people being the same being zero.

You are welcome to believe anything you like.

23 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

"and" or "at"? Thanks for the information on yours.

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I don't think intelligence can be precisely measured, but I do believe that if graphed, everyone's intelligence would form a continuous line, with the odds of someone being exactly average, or the odds of any two people being the same being zero.

Is it a matter of faith (believing) or a matter of science (measuring)? 

If you can draw a line in a chart, then it means that intelligence can be measured, and expressed in some kind of unit. 

But if intelligence cannot be measured, as you think, then there cannot be an average or a median intelligence. 

One explanation, I think, is that, like many other things, intelligence is relative and not absolute. 

Its "measurement" depends as much on the observer than on the observed. 

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Thank you for the dispensation. 

15 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Well, it is possible that some folks here have enough saved money for retirement that they can easily afford to keep some in Thai banks.

Perhaps they also think Thai banks are as safe as their home banks and pay the same interest rate; that is, zero. 

Does that brand them as suckers? 

Arbitrarily narrow criteria wouldn't you say? 

Most everything about banks is non-sensical in my opinion. 

But hey, why should I care if you want to feel victimized and/or superior. Party Hearty dude! 

I read so many comments like you what you wrote, "some people have saved money for retirement and can easily afford to keep some in Thai banks."  This is not about expats who can afford to put their money in a Thai bank.  It is just poor money management. I'm so surprised at the amount of posters who don't see this as the scam it is.  

Anyway, I certainly don't "feel victimized or superior" but maybe a little more financially aware than many. ????

54 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Is it a matter of faith (believing) or a matter of science (measuring)? 

If you can draw a line in a chart, then it means that intelligence can be measured, and expressed in some kind of unit. 

But if intelligence cannot be measured, as you think, then there cannot be an average or a median intelligence. 

One explanation, I think, is that, like many other things, intelligence is relative and not absolute. 

Its "measurement" depends as much on the observer than on the observed. 

Why pretend to be confused? Clearly I said I believed, meaning I had faith.

It is intellectually dishonest (at best) to make things up and pretend I said them. I never said intelligence could not be measured. Do you want to have a discussion or do want to attempt to make me out a fool?

I believe (i. e. I have faith) that like many things, intelligence at any given point in time is both relative and absolute.

Is not everything relative?

36 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I read so many comments like you what you wrote, "some people have saved money for retirement and can easily afford to keep some in Thai banks."  This is not about expats who can afford to put their money in a Thai bank.  It is just poor money management. I'm so surprised at the amount of posters who don't see this as the scam it is.  

Anyway, I certainly don't "feel victimized or superior" but maybe a little more financially aware than many. ????

See what as the scam it is?

44 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It is intellectually dishonest (at best) to make things up and pretend I said them.

If I recall correctly from previous posts, you claimed I called you a liar when I said no such thing. Physician, heal thyself.