Seek Clarification with respect to Marriage visa Financial requirements

Today I visited Pattaya Immigration .

They gave me a document detailing the conditions which have to be satisfied in order to qualify for a  ‘Extension of stay to support Thai spouse’

Section 5 under the heading –Criteria for consideration-

reads:

Applicant must earn an average annual income of no less than THB 40,000 per month  or have funds for annual expense of no less than THB 400,000 deposited with a bank(s) in Thailand for the previous 3 months.

Section 5.2 under the heading -Supporting Document-

Reads:

If having funds deposited with a banks(s) in Thailand (saving /fixed account)

Must have balance of no less than THB 400,000 remaining in the bank account for the past two months from the date of submission.

Letter from the bank in Thailand attesting that the current balance is no less than THB 400,000 Baht

My query is the wording under 5.2 ‘past two months’

Should it read ‘following two months’?

I attach the entire document provided by Pattaya immigration

MARRIAGE VISA INFO -ENGLISH_07022019.pdf

Edited by Delight

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to have 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage. There wording is not exactly the best way to say it.

And yet it states 3 months under earlier section 5

Applicant must earn an average annual income of no less than THB 40,000 per month  or have funds for annual expense of no less than THB 400,000 deposited with a bank(s) in Thailand  for the previous 3 months.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps that is used to mean keep money in account until your application is approved (1 month after application with money in account at least 2 months - total 3 months)?

Now it makes sense-Thanks

6 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

Money in the bank for 2 months before application.

Lopburi 3 suggests 3 months. I now think 3.  After the 3 if can-if required-  all be  spent.

This is preferable to the new financial requirements of the retirement visa where THB 400,000 can never be spent

Edited by Delight
additional info.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Delight said:

Lopburi 3 suggests 3 months. I now think 3.  After the 3 if can-if required-  all be  spent.

This is preferable to the new financial requirements of the retirement visa where THB 400,000 can never be spent

It’s only 2 months before the date you apply. They have written 3 months — by mistake — under “Criteria for Consideration (5)”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Delight said:

Applicant must earn an average annual income of no less than THB 40,000 per month  or have funds for annual expense of no less than THB 400,000 deposited with a bank(s) in Thailand for the previous 3 months.

They should learn to copy and paste from the orders.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual

income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a
bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

5 hours ago, Delight said:

My query is the wording under 5.2 ‘past two months’

Past 2 months from the date of submission.

Past = before, previous

• Like 1

The requirement for application is 2 months but believe many are told at application not to spend any until after extension is issued one month later (so that review panel can confirm bank money) so total time for them would be 3 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I now have no problem showing 400,000 baht in a Thai bank but my question is "How easy is it to now get a visa based on marriage?"

I will explain:-

Back in 2004 when the Immigration office was in Soi 8, I wanted to change my extension to one based on marriage. I was told at Soi 8 immigration that I could not do it and was instructed to find other means to make extension using the 800,000 baht or pension method which I have been doing since.

I now want to use the visa based on marriage to Thai lady option but am worried that I will still run into this same problem.

We were married in Bangkok in 2000 and renewed our vows in the UK again in 2000 so we have 2 different marriage certificates. We have our own house and have been continuously together since.

Any help appreciated!

3 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

I now have no problem showing 400,000 baht in a Thai bank but my question is "How easy is it to now get a visa based on marriage?"

Back in 2004 when the Immigration office was in Soi 8, I wanted to change my extension to one based on marriage. I was told at Soi 8 immigration that I could not do it and was instructed to find other means to make extension using the 800,000 baht or pension method which I have been doing since.

I now want to use the visa based on marriage to Thai lady option but am worried that I will still run into this same problem.

We were married in Bangkok in 2000 and renewed our vows in the UK again in 2000 so we have 2 different marriage certificates. We have our own house and have been continuously together since.

Any help appreciated!

It appears you would qualify, the advice back in 2004 was probably advice that retire visa is an easier process, not a refusal, Immigration will often suggest retire extension over marriage because its less running around.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

Should not be any problem and you could do in the past - just more work for all involved - so if your financials and age allowed retirement was suggested method.

7 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

Any help appreciated!

14 years ago someone told you that didn't qualify. Why not try again?

20 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

The difficulties encountered vary by office.

If you are referring to Pattaya/Jomtien, I am not surprised they gave you bad information then.  If still living in that area, you can expect they will make it difficult - but it is not impossible if your landlord is accessible and very helpful, or you own your own condo.

I would not show the foreign certificate - just use the Thai one, plus an updated Kor Ror 2 from an amphoe, which proves the marriage is still valid per Thai records.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The requirement for application is 2 months but believe many are told at application not to spend any until after extension is issued one month later (so that review panel can confirm bank money) so total time for them would be 3 months.

I wish somebody told me that earlier...lol

I deposited 400,000 baht 3 months before the application and have started using my monthly budget after I lodged for my extension, as I have usually done.

I will take it on board that the next time I deposit the funds required, that I add an extra 100,000, still deposit it 3 months before hand (to be sure, to be sure) as the Irish say, and then make sure I don't drop below the 400,000 before I pick up my extension a month later, as I wouldn't want anything breaking during, to be sure, to be sure ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

I'm not struggling but don't have 400,000 in a Thai bank account at the moment. I will when the seasoning's due. Perhaps you should have said "Doesn't have 400,000 baht equivalent in accounts here and abroad" or something similar. So many "clever dicky" posts which are no use to anyone.

Mind you he did'nt follow it up with you should go home, which is the norm for these type of posters!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monsieurhappy said:

Any help appreciated!

The exact thing happen to me when I went to immigration to apply for the extension based on marriage, they said, you have enough money in the bank, retirement extension can give now, marriage extension, need more paperwork, photos, etc, etc and have to be approved by Bangkok, take one month, no guarantee, but retirement extension we can do now, here, right now, better sir.

So we did, but I told the Mrs, the next time we go, I want to apply for the extension based on marriage, i.e. what we originally went to do, and my reason was, who knows what these guys will get up to in the future with retirees, they might say, no more retirement extensions, bye bye, but with an extension of stay based on marriage, I feel I would have more weight to remain, just my reasoning, and we did just that, they weren't too happy, even had to pay them 1,500 baht to drive out to the house to take a photo with us for the original application, and last time we forgot to take photos, so the suggestion was 500 baht to our New Year party fund and you can send photos to me on his LINE account, I will get developed and send to BKK with your application, did me a favour as its 1 hour 20 drive each way. 

Extension based on marriage only has a couple of more docs to add then the extension based on retirement, so my wife tells me, as she does it all, lucky fella, I am ????

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Surely anybody living here would have a slush fund of at least 400,000 Baht in a bank account. If not, then you must be struggling. 

Of course, once they use the 400,000k baht that they surely had in a slush fund, they won’t have a slush fund for future unforeseen incidents

oh... sorry.... that’s what the other slush funds are for.... stupid me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

How can the Review panel confirm my bank account balance during the "under consideration" period??

3 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

How can the Review panel confirm my bank account balance during the "under consideration" period??

I don't believe it was normally done but believe they called person in to do so when they had serious question.  Being immigration are police I expect some bank managers might provide if asked.

16 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Your local IO stamp the extension.

After the 30 day under consideration period and approval, you'll have to reproduce your bank book/statement to your local IO to confirm the same balance, before they stamp your extension.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Your local IO stamp the extension.

After the 30 day under consideration period and approval, you'll have to reproduce your bank book/statement to your local IO to confirm the same balance, before they stamp your extension.

Is this your guess or a recently demonstrated reality? Didn't happen the first time I used the 400k method a few years ago before switching to the (now no longer available) Embassy letter.