Tried to open Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya - The Saga - Update

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For how long is that or when can you terminate it?

Thanks for the report, as (expect for the insurance extortion) it follows the rules as they write it on the net.

I spent a coffee shop meeting with my Bangkok bank manager. She showed me the types of insurance available. I too had heard of this 4000 baht coverage after some Junta muppet was spruiking all expats who live here must have mandatory insurance for hospital in the future. This insurance they have is not covering the expenses say for an operation or admission, its a type of compensation payment. So if you lose an arm from accident and operation; you may get say up to 250,000 baht ( example dont quote me). For over 60's farang there is no TRUE hospital insurance scheme available you can buy today other than the rip off merchants such as B$$A. I suggested she could be the bank manager of the year if she made such a pact with a reputable insurance comapny. And yes all bank employees have targets one of those is insurance selling.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For how long is that or when can you terminate it?

Thanks for the report, as (expect for the insurance extortion) it follows the rules as they write it on the net.

Meant to mention that, she said that if I decided not to continue with it after a year, I could just let it run out. As I said, I think I could've gotten away with the insurance if I'd argued the toss. Maybe it's cheaper for you younger chaps, as I said I'm 74.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Is Bangkok bank the only Thai bank that would give accident insurance for the over 70s?  Most banks stop at the age 65 yrs,

I have found my answer:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/My-Family-and-Me/Bancassurance/Non-Life-Insurance/PA-1st/PA-1st-Senior

22 minutes ago, legend49 said:

I spent a coffee shop meeting with my Bangkok bank manager. She showed me the types of insurance available. I too had heard of this 4000 baht coverage after some Junta muppet was spruiking all expats who live here must have mandatory insurance for hospital in the future. This insurance they have is not covering the expenses say for an operation or admission, its a type of compensation payment. So if you lose an arm from accident and operation; you may get say up to 250,000 baht ( example dont quote me). For over 60's farang there is no TRUE hospital insurance scheme available you can buy today other than the rip off merchants such as B$$A. I suggested she could be the bank manager of the year if she made such a pact with a reputable insurance comapny. And yes all bank employees have targets one of those is insurance selling.

It's accident insurance and there is a limit as laid out in their terms which I'm not going to repeat here. I was very happy to take it as I've been looking for something similar for a while since SCB stopped mine. It's up to you whether you take it or walk out the door. I was also more than pleased to have succeeded in opening the bank account which increases my chances of my monthly income from abroad being accepted by TI, if I choose to go that route.

Just now, jesimps said:

It's accident insurance and there is a limit as laid out in their terms which I'm not going to repeat here.

Accident  insurance can be a cheap fallback for those who are unable to get medical insurance proper. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I voluntarily took out accident insurance with one of my banks (cost less than 5000 Bt. mind you). I think it's a great thing for the price.

Depends on age I reckon and yes, I was very pleased to be offered it and the price was very fair for an old goit like me. By the way, doesn't include car or motorbike accidents, but I have that anyway. I spend most days in the garden working with power tools, not to mention those slithery bitey things that sometimes appear. Lots of opportunities for accidents there.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

You're right the Senior Plan doesn't cover motorcycle but I think only the PA 1st Senior Plan would cover his age (50-100).  I take out the PA 1st Smart Plan covering ages 6-65 (voluntarily) because it's one of the few that cover motorcycle riding.  It's paid out twice.  Consider me a fan.  Of the policy, not driving in Phuket. ???? 

I opened a bank account at the Soi Boon Sampahan branch when it opened in 2007 or 2008, I think it was. No insurance was needed. The branch manager was a very nice and helpful lady. She has since left from that branch. When I wanted to open account in Surin about two years ago and was told by the branch manager that I need to have a work permit (I was 70 at that time), otherwise I can't open an account, I called the BOON Samphan lady and she settled everything with the branch manager in Surin in a matter of minutes. A bit later I walked out with a bank book, ATM card and connected to my Bualuang online accounts.

• Like 1

(1) My b/f & I took out accident insurance with BKK Bank here in Prasat a year ago. Because of my age - now 69 - my cover is less than his, and costs less. Given the way he drives, his is in any case the greater need.

(2) I opened a new account at Prasat BKK Bank a couple of weeks ago, dealing with the manager (as opposed to the argie-bargie which went on when dealing with junior staff behind the counter). No sweat, all done in about 20 minutes. He mentioned that he's under pressure to open x new accounts every month ...

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

This one seems reasonable to me http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/affordable-health-insurance-for-anyone-in-thailand/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, balo said:

You can open an account without insurance. Ask for a savings account next time, they can't force you to sign up for an insurance. 

I tried that, told her I did not need the insurance, becos I have my own and the officer told me, then she could not open the savings account.  Needless to say, I bought the insurance.

• Sad 1

I wonder if banks can refuse to open account for a Thai person and if so wether the ombudsman fines the bank. I'm guessing no, and if banks can do what they want then getting an account seems like pot luck to me. Not impossible but it seems the trend is to not allow the average falang without special reason to open an account.

8 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It does read as ambiguous. 

Does it mean driving "any" vehicle or specifically a motorcycle?

I regularly see my Bank Manager so will ask about it.

from this link: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/My-Family-and-Me/Bancassurance/Non-Life-Insurance/PA-1st/PA-1st-Senior

it says specifically:

Note: No coverage in the event of accident while driving or traveling on a motorcycle.