Tried to open Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya - The Saga - Update

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes I can see that in your link. But the coverage is only 30K, the same you get on the compulsory mc- insurance.

Yes but the compulsory motorcycle insurance doesn't cover your medical expenses at all.  It's compulsory liability insurance.  It covers other parties' injuries and damages.

8 hours ago, balo said:

You can open an account without insurance. Ask for a savings account next time, they can't force you to sign up for an insurance. 

That’s true I opened my savings account at SCB in my name only and we also have a joint account at Bangkok Bank.  I didn’t even know that the insurance at the bank was even actually a thing.  I prefer my insurance because it covers almost everything and for the rest of my life regardless of my age, but I’m retired military so our coverage is really good even living overseas it’s still pretty good.

I opened my own savings account at SCB in only my name because I found out that apparently next year when I do my next extension that my monthly wire transfers supposedly have to be going into my own account and not a joint account with my wife’s name on it as well.  I don’t understand why that is since it’s my money being transferred every month from the States in my name but I went ahead and opened my own savings account at SCB in my name only because if those are their rules then that’s what I’ll do.  It wasn’t that much trouble to open the account in only my name at SCB my local SCB branch is awesome.  My local Bangkok Bank branch was okay but apparently the local manager there isn’t because he gave me a hard time about opening a savings account in my name only.  He wanted to see an embassy letter, a letter from immigration, and my Social Security Card.  So I went to SCB and I didn’t need any of that to open my own personal savings account.  Just the Tambien Baan, lease agreement, my wife had to be present and show her Thai ID card but the account is still in my name only, of course I had to show my passport, and all I needed for documentation was stuff that I already had readily available.  They were really nice at my local SCB branch, they even set up my online banking for me on their app on my iPhone and provided me with a Master Card Debit Card unlike Bangkok Bank.  I did have to provide my SSN on their forms at SCB but I didn’t need to bring my Social Security Card or an Embassy Letter, or an immigration letter.  They used common sense at SCB because the Tambien Baan and our lease agreement was sufficient to verify my address to open the account in my name only.  

I honestly didn’t even know the insurance was even a thing when opening a Thai bank account 

Edited by Jim7777
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

no but they can say' can not open'

I don’t know about that I have both a joint account with my wife at Bangkok Bank and my own personal savings account at SCB in my name only for immigration purposes as per immigration rules for my monthly income wire transfers from my bank in the States.  When I opened both bank accounts neither bank even mentioned the word “Insurance” to me, and I honestly didn’t even know that was a thing until I read this topic.  Neither of my Thai banks even mentioned insurance when I opened both accounts.  I opened my Bangkok Bank Account back in 2015 though, but I just recently opened my SCB Bank Account in my name only just only last January literally less than a month ago and there was never even any discussion about insurance between me and the bankers.  I’ve honestly never even heard of this.  

Although I have my own medical and life insurance for both my wife and I, my wife is covered medically as well as I am as my dependent we married in the States 20 years ago and it’s free and it’s really good because I’m retired military after 21 years and a 100% permanently disabled veteran.  So my coverage doesn’t stop when I turn 70.  I’m covered for life since I’m retired military even overseas.  

I’ve also heard about how insurance companies here don’t want to cover people over 70 which I don’t understand and I think should be criminal.  I mean I get why they do it that way but it’s wrong.  The Insurance companies don’t want to cover people over 70 here because obviously your risk goes up at that age in this country but it’s the Insurance company’s job to cover people they sure don’t mind collecting that monthly payment from people though.  I’m just glad I’m retired military so I don’t have to worry about it for my wife and I.  

But seriously when I opened my Thai bank accounts the word insurance was never even said.  I think the person you replied to is right just open a savings account and it’s just as good as a checking account and I still have a Master Card Debit Card with mine at SCB and online banking, it works just as well and there are almost no fees very very minimal fees.  

I think it just depends on what bank you go to or really what branch you go to when opening your account, and that’s really not any different when dealing with any other business in life including back in the States.  It always just depends on who you’re dealing with that’s just my personal experience with lot’s of things.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

Yes, but PA 1st Smart Plan (ages 6-65) does specifically cover motorcycles:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/My-Family-and-Me/Bancassurance/Non-Life-Insurance/PA-1st/PA-1st-Smart

This is the most worthless insurance I have ever seen. On a positive note, it is clear and concise in its worthlessness, and the footnote at the bottom excluding all coverage, if you are opperating or riding pillion on a motorcycle, makes this doubly worthless.

• Confused 1

Many years ago I opened an account with Kasikorn bank near/at the Avenue complex in Pattaya. The girl did the opening bit ... as she started a sales talk regarding me taking out accident insurance. It was cheap and she was quite charming not pushy. She was very dissapointed when I at first said no.

I asked if it was compulsory to buy if opening an account and she replied yes .. but with a cheeky smile.  

I think I paid 5,000 baht for a years coverage .... in the end. I was just so pleased I had an account and taken another big step towards getting  a "visa" extension .. I didnt care.

Later I realised she had charmed a stupid old man with a pretty face and cute smile (her not me had the pretty face and cute smile????) and gained some commision. It was never compulsory ... it was a little perk for her.

In bars you get hit for lady drinks .... in banks sometimes its accident insurance it seems. But it was genuine insurance not coloured water ????.

After 1 year I was not asked or reminded to renew.  Health insurance obtained elsewhere.

Edited by PAWNEESE
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ulic said:

This is the most worthless insurance I have ever seen. On a positive note, it is clear and concise in its worthlessness, and the footnote at the bottom excluding all coverage, if you are opperating or riding pillion on a motorcycle, makes this doubly worthless.

What in the world are you talking about?  Respectfully, I suggest you look at the link again.  It does not say what you stated.  If you're looking at something other than the PA 1st Smart Plan, you're looking at the wrong thing.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/My-Family-and-Me/Bancassurance/Non-Life-Insurance/PA-1st/PA-1st-Smart

I've received the full 30,000 baht coverage for a motorcycle accident from this policy.

Edited by skatewash
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

OK, you clearly don't understand their motorbike conditions. These are not excluded, only medical expenses are limited to 10-20 or 30k, depending on the cover.

20 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Wrong, the compulsory motorcycle insurance covers medical expenses up to 30k Baht. My son-in-law came off his bike a couple of months ago and the emergency services took him to the Bangkok hospital, didn't cost him a thing and they even filled the necessary forms out for him. The only thing he had to do was provide a copy of the police report the next day.

Well, I learned something new today.  You're right.  Thanks!

In my case, it was hitting a pothole and when it happened I didn't think to call the police or call emergency services.  I drove myself home and when the adrenaline wore off I ended up taking a tuk-tuk to the hospital.  So I didn't follow any of things I guess you're supposed to do.  The Bangkok Accident Insurance PA 1st Smart Plan worked instead.  But it's good to know that the compulsory motorcycle insurance covers the driver and passenger for medical emergency services.  When I've seen it described in English they always emphasize it covers 3rd party liability, but I had missed the part about coverage for the driver and passenger.

4 hours ago, skatewash said:

Yes but the compulsory motorcycle insurance doesn't cover your medical expenses at all.  It's compulsory liability insurance.  It covers other parties' injuries and damages.

I was wrong.  It does cover medical expenses for the driver and passenger.  See

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1083110-tried-to-open-bangkok-bank-account-in-pattaya-the-saga-update/?do=findComment&comment=13823146

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Well, I learned something new today.  You're right.  Thanks!

In my case, it was hitting a pothole and when it happened I didn't think to call the police or call emergency services.  I drove myself home and when the adrenaline wore off I ended up taking a tuk-tuk to the hospital.  So I didn't follow any of things I guess you're supposed to do.  The Bangkok Accident Insurance PA 1st Smart Plan worked instead.  But it's good to know that the compulsory motorcycle insurance covers the driver and passenger for medical emergency services.  When I've seen it described in English they always emphasize it covers 3rd party liability, but I had missed the part about coverage for the driver and passenger.

Until the son-in-law had his accident I also had no idea that it covered medical bills. My daughter reckons that the compulsory car version of the insurance has a higher limit than 30k. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Until the son-in-law had his accident I also had no idea that it covered medical bills. My daughter reckons that the compulsory car version of the insurance has a higher limit than 30k. 

Yeah, much better coverages for car than motorcycle:

Compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance (CTPL)

Compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance or Por Ror Bor is basic insurance that all cars are required to get every year under the Road Protection Act. Being the minimum requirement, CTPL covers only medical expenses with limited coverage when you cause the accident. It is up to 80,000 baht for injury and 300,000 baht for death–if it’s not the driver’s fault. When the driver is the cause of the accident, the coverage decreases to 30,000 baht for injury and 35,000 baht for death.

-- 

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/lifestyle/car-insurance/#Compulsory_Third-Party_Liability_Insurance_CTPL

I found some old information about the motorcycle coverage, which used to be 15,000 per person and 30,000 max for each accident.  Your information would suggest that it has been raised to 30,000 per person max.  I need to check-out my policy.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jesimps said:

Meant to mention that, she said that if I decided not to continue with it after a year, I could just let it run out. As I said, I think I could've gotten away with the insurance if I'd argued the toss. Maybe it's cheaper for you younger chaps, as I said I'm 74.

I'm curious if they explain why you having insurance is important for them. I don't see it.

12 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I'm curious if they explain why you having insurance is important for them. I don't see it.

It's not required, but the bank clerk signing you up for the insurance gets credit (probably a commission) for doing so.  By rights, you shouldn't need to spring for the insurance.  It's your right to insist that they open the account for you without requiring the insurance, especially in the case of Bangkok Bank which actually has spelled out the policy on opening accounts for foreigners on their website.  But in the real world, some people like to have an incentive to do the right thing.  It's your call how you want to handle it.

I was able to open my savings account with Bangkok Bank without any inducements about six years ago on a non-imm ED visa.  Ironically, I ended up getting accident insurance from Bangkok Bank at a later date but it was not pushed on me at the time I opened the account.  I may have been lucky as I was fresh off the boat (actually off the plane).  Maybe things have changed over the years.  The rules still say it isn't required, but on the other hand, you actually need to find someone who is willing to follow the rules.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 8:40 PM, KhunBENQ said:

For how long is that or when can you terminate it?

Thanks for the report, as (expect for the insurance extortion) it follows the rules as they write it on the net.

I opened Bangkok Bank account last March using only tourist visa and gf address they also gave me life ins for 5k Bhatt didn't argue as many had told me that I couldn't have account with tourist visa so just assumed it was a way around 

On 2/8/2019 at 7:33 AM, jesimps said:

Meant to mention that, she said that if I decided not to continue with it after a year, I could just let it run out.

I suspect that, unless you intervene proactively (according to the terms and conditions you agreed to, which likely include a challenging notification of cancellation process) your account will be debited 5,000, or more, every twelve months.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:40 PM, KhunBENQ said:

For how long is that or when can you terminate it?

Thanks for the report, as (expect for the insurance extortion) it follows the rules as they write it on the net.

I paid about 2,000 for the insurance when I opened my account, annual renewal not compulsory. But I still have mine, made two claims the first year - no problems just give the hospital the card and that is it.

Renewal due next month, you have reminded me that I want to increase it to 5,000.

22 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I suspect that, unless you intervene proactively (according to the terms and conditions you agreed to, which likely include a challenging notification of cancellation process) your account will be debited 5,000, or more, every twelve months.

No, you have to go in and sign a load of forms.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your post, exceedingly helpful. I followed in your footsteps this morning and it went just as you said. A very helpful customer service staff member. She did ask why I had come all the way from Jomtien but I explained that my experience with Kbank put me off big branches in malls. I think she knew! Particularly when I made no comment about the insurance. Good luck to her for making life easy.

Anyway, I am in the UK for the month of March. Now I have a BKB account I can have a discussion with their London branch about their transfer arrangements to see what options they have.

Thanks again.   

10 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Thanks a lot for your post, exceedingly helpful. I followed in your footsteps this morning and it went just as you said. A very helpful customer service staff member. She did ask why I had come all the way from Jomtien but I explained that my experience with Kbank put me off big branches in malls. I think she knew! Particularly when I made no comment about the insurance. Good luck to her for making life easy.

Anyway, I am in the UK for the month of March. Now I have a BKB account I can have a discussion with their London branch about their transfer arrangements to see what options they have.

Thanks again.   

Lots of good information on the Bangkok Bank website about that:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch