Where Should I Go?

Nyezhov

I have been thinking about wending my way to the States a week or two early and taking a chance to see something on the way.

Now for about $275 I can fly to LAX from here via a layover to see my brat in Shanghai. So it makes me nuts when I see how much airfares are.

That being said, its all good and I am wondering who here has been there so to speak and wants to chime in as to what would be a cool trip.

Trip 1. BKK or Shanghai to Katmandu, then NYC.

Trip 2 BKK or Shanghai to Frankfurt, get wheels and drive around Europe, then NYC

Trip 3 India or Phillipines?

Trip 4  Seychelles or Madagascar, then NYC?

Who has been to the Seychelles or Madagascar, or Katmandu.

7 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

There's more to see in any single town in Europe than Seychelles, Madagascar, Katmandu all together????.

If it was me, I'd pick Frankfurt, get a BMW and drive around on a ww2 museum tour.

Last time I was there I did Verdun, the Vosges, Metz....Im thinking of Ypres on this one ????

10 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Bangkok-Rome-NYC? Rent bike. Italian. Motto Guzzi?

Pompeii/Herculaneum, Anzio, Monte Cassino, Sorento-Salerno. (not necessarily in that order)

I dont like driving in places other than the US Canada and germany

I am quite fond of Kathmandu and Nepal in general - partly due to my interest in climbing/mountaineering and my pseudo-academic interest in Buddhism. I've even lived in KTM for a month in December 2017, mostly to get a better feeling of the city and decide, whether I would like to move there for a longer while.

So, it is quite dusty and chaotic, there will be a lot of smog and dust in the winter (Dec to early Mar) and little less in the remaining seasons. It is a developing country, so definitely don't expect another Singapore (or even another Bangkok). Having said that, it is fascinating, friendly and has a great vibe. You can visit the temples, do short trips to the Himalays (e.g. fly to Lukla for a day or two - just check with your doctor first, as, if I am not mistaken, you had heart surgery recently and Lukla is at almost 3000 m), check out the ancient city of Bhaktapur, spend some time around Boudhanath and mingle with the Tibetan pilgrims around the stupa (or better even stay there - IMO Boudhanath has a wonderful atmosphere), maybe do a short trek in Langtang or Helambu (you can hire a guide / porter, so it can be safe and easy).

Definitely lots of things to experience and it is def worth doing, if you never been there before.

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont like driving in places other than the US Canada and germany

Italy has fantastic freeways, autostrada, with very courteous and intelligent drivers (mostly). 

I rented a 458 Iltalia a couple a xmases back and drive from Venice to Rome via Florence, a fantastic experience. Inner city is hectic but I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe even in a rented $270Kusd super car. 

I put my mom & fiancée in an Audi and the had a blast tootling along & 160km/h+

Rome is a must visit city if you ever get an opportunity in my opinion 

8C2861A3-48EE-44E5-B42E-475DE3A4E3E5.jpeg

E6717674-2D92-4615-8DDE-0597AECCAEED.jpeg

Perhaps it's worth considering a move to a country where it is acceptable to discuss the new leader of a political party.

Haven't been there for years, but the mountains of Nepal are a nice contrast to the steamy heat of Thailand and it's inhospitably over-priced currency. 

Goodness me...you are at it again.

Even you and your fellow belly button gazer "KhunProletariat" must know that your time is up.

Stay in your broom closet Bangkok condo and watch Thai lakorns.

Congratulations on overcoming ,your heart attack,your piles,your lousy feet,your halitosis and your desperate desire to commit frotillage on a stuffed koala bear...

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Last time I was there I did Verdun, the Vosges, Metz....Im thinking of Ypres on this one ????

Really?

Did you turn left towards Langemarck,proceed east towards Passachandaele or turn slightly to the right and climb to the top of the ridge at Menin?

One of my ancestors died on the Menin Road in furious battle..October,1917.

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Perhaps it's worth considering a move to a country where it is acceptable to discuss the new leader of a political party.

Thats the last thing in the world I care about

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Goodness me...you are at it again.

Im in your head now hahahahaha. 

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Ypres is a great base for a battlefield tour WW1. The last post ceremony at the Menin Gate at 8 pm every evening is very moving. We also did day trips to Ghent (my fav better than Brugge) and Lille. We also got the Eurostar from Lille to London. One of the best trips I've ever been on and the beer in Belgium is fantastic.

11 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Who has been to the Seychelles or Madagascar, or Katmandu.

Been to Seycehelles and Katmandu. Seychelles, beautiful but boring unless you're addicted to beaches. Katmandu, chokka block with backpackers. Plenty for you to photograph there. Now, it's a backpacker tourist trap, similar to Bali with mountains.

I would go with the Frankfurt, a night in the FKK will blow you away. option and drive down through Italy. You could get the train to Milan (great trains) and pick a hire car up there. Don't miss the Ferrari factory/museum. Food is amazing everywhere in Italy and the people are the friendliest in Europe. Girls are stunners too. Only problem with Europe is that its freezing at this time of year.

Just now, Spidey said:

Been to Seycehelles and Katmandu. Seychelles, beautiful but boring unless you're addicted to beaches. Katmandu, chokka block with backpackers. Plenty for you to photograph there. Now, it's a backpacker tourist trap, similar to Bali with mountains.

I would go with the Frankfurt, a night in the FKK will blow you away. option and drive down through Italy. You could get the train to Milan (great trains) and pick a hire car up there. Don't miss the Ferrari factory/museum. Food is amazing everywhere in Italy and the people are the friendliest in Europe. Girls are stunners too. Only problem with Europe is that its freezing at this time of year.

He's going nowhere other than his broom closet-a fact that you know very well.

49 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Im actually leaning to Frankfurt, its central and I could run to Prague. Car rentals for a Benz is like $40 a day....FKKs are where its at thats for sure...

Wont be to April. Almost in time for Spargl season.

50 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

He's going nowhere other than his broom closet-a fact that you know very well.

Doesnt it suck dude that Im in your head...that you have to follow me about to make little comments....Im in your head hahahahahaha

You do know it's winter? New York any other time. Better off in New Orleans. As for L.A., a clogged mess. Try San Diego to the south or beach cities north from Malibu to San Louis Obispo. Want cheap prime rib? Vegas.

37 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

You do know it's winter? New York any other time. Better off in New Orleans. As for L.A., a clogged mess. Try San Diego to the south or beach cities north from Malibu to San Louis Obispo. Want cheap prime rib? Vegas.

Hey thanks for the America tour, never knew I could get cheap meat in Vegas......

Archived