Immigration rules led me to attempt suicide, says long term Belgian expat

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

10 minutes after we left the station, I had to ask the driver to stop and let me out. I was in full panic attack mode.

so you disintegrated ? 

how did you get home in such a state ? 

Did you receive help from some one ?

Knowing you had this condition, would you not use your brain to try and sort out your medical condition by contacting family , embassy, local hospital ,police 

self help yourself before blaming the system.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember well, before these new rules on overstay arrived,

Thai Immigration gave a delay of several months for people in overstay

to leave while paying the 20'000 B fine, but without ban.

People doing so were able to come back immediately and are probably still here today.

Waiting and hiding - the choice of the person in the OP - was absolutely not a wise one...

He is 38 years old , what was he doing in Thailand in the first place?  No work by the sound of it. So he is receiving some sort of welfare money from Belgium ?  Clearly a mental case who should get help in his home country , not Thailand.

If he is homeless in Belgium it is his own fault. Last time I checked Belgium offer free accommodation and healthcare to people in need.  

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I somehow suspect that the number of sad stories related to immigration issues are likely to rise dramatically in the next year or so. Genuine medical issues aside, there are undoubtedly many out there right now experiencing anxiety or worse over the current situation.

I guess they could have raised the bhat amount to one million then there would have been some real moaning and groaning

21 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

There's always sad stories when humans mass migrate, this time expats out of Thailand.

Doubt very seriously there will be that many other than a few of the complainers here the people I talk to are making adjustments.

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Odd, how the term "loser" is always defined as a person who does not make enough in his home country and is doing quite well in a country with a lower cost of living.

The use of the term loser goes beyond the financial characteristic. It just so happens that the characteristic of loser in Thailand includes those who live  hand to mouth.  The issue of cost of living has been discussed many times over the years, and I don't know about you, but my cost of living in Thailand is as high as it would be in my home country. I maintain a similar quality of life and  the reality is that it costs money.  It's not much of a life  living in a hot stinky fan room, eating 7-11 hot dogs and  Mama noodles. It is not unreasonable to term such people losers. Perhaps, they are winners to you and that's your perspective. 

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Sadly, many with psychiatric disorders "escape" to Thailand but only end up getting worse.

Don't think the immigration will change due to any sad stories. Rather the contrary, they're on the right track.

In hunting expats away, and the country losing a lot of foreign funds coming in, yes, they are on the right track.

Coupled with the nearly daily razzias, the ever more difficult rules and regulations, yes, other countries will step in gladly.

49 minutes ago, balo said:

He is 38 years old , what was he doing in Thailand in the first place?  No work by the sound of it. So he is receiving some sort of welfare money from Belgium ?  Clearly a mental case who should get help in his home country , not Thailand.

If he is homeless in Belgium it is his own fault. Last time I checked Belgium offer free accommodation and healthcare to people in need.  

Well, maybe you look again?

5 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Well, maybe you look again?

https://www.brussels.be/homeless

https://www.brussels.be/winter-plan-homeless

planurgencesansabri.jpg?itok=2UKHk0Qr

"Homeless people can call the free number 0800 99 340.

Samusocial offers homeless shelter during the winter. Every evening, about 1,000 people can find shelter when it is very cold. This care includes rooms, sanitary furniture, psychosocial and medical aid and a restaurant room (hot meals and breakfast).

Every evening, mobile teams also provide assistance to city dwellers on the streets of the Brussels Capital Region."

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"I understand the need to enforce immigration laws. But immigration officers should have the discretion to take personal situations into account"

Well, they do have that discretion, but you'd need to use an agent to 'persuade' them to use their discretion.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Few years ago i took the visa-run bustour from BKK. 

In the bus was a totally tattooed farang who said he overstayed because he felt sick and couldn't do the visarun. He didn't go to a doctor.

At the border he was charged 20.000 baht for overstaying but he couldn't get the cash out of the atm. So he went begging the other visarunners to help him paying his fine. Which they did. So we all arived back in BKK at the end of the day. It was his lucky day i guess.

That's a good one.   I must remember that ruse !

If you are sick and unable to get to immigration, immigration will come to you.   Over the years, I've been aware of them doing that for a few expats who were unable to visit the office.

4 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I have never believed in the term "attempted suicide".  It either is suicide or not. If you really want to, it isn't difficult.  I call them attempts at attention.  Which is truly what he needed.  Some attention and help.   Next case......

Never had depression have you??? How many attempts at suicide have you attempted? It isn't difficult according to you. 'Attempted suicide is 'attention seeking'? You're havin a larrrfff mate. You know naff all about depression and I hope you never get it. 

The bottom line: if you’ve never truly experienced clinical depression, don’t try to relate

1 minute ago, Rally123 said:

Never had depression have you??? How many attempts at suicide have you attempted? It isn't difficult according to you. 'Attempted suicide is 'attention seeking'? You're havin a larrrfff mate. You know naff all about depression and I hope you never get it. 

Really?  Are you sure?  You know nothing about me or my life experiences.

38 minutes ago, hansnl said:

In hunting expats away, and the country losing a lot of foreign funds coming in, yes, they are on the right track.

Coupled with the nearly daily razzias, the ever more difficult rules and regulations, yes, other countries will step in gladly.

If they would really  bringing in a lot of funds they would be eligible to stay....

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I somehow suspect that the number of sad stories related to immigration issues are likely to rise dramatically in the next year or so. Genuine medical issues aside, there are undoubtedly many out there right now experiencing anxiety or worse over the current situation.

That prediction is obviously 100 percent correct. I've already written the recent set of radical rule changes, cut off of embassy letters for many, done in a short time frame, with massively unclear directions as to enforcement and consequences will be directly negatively life changing for many people, and in some cases, life ending. People don't want to hear that or think such real talk just shouldn't be spoken. But it's obviously true. Governments have the right to make policies and change policies, but there are consequences and you don't need to be an Einstein to predict the consequences of these changes for many people. 

5 hours ago, Myran said:

The immigration rules are hardly the problem here. He should've gotten medical help to deal with his anxiety.

Seeking help with anxiety and or depression is a difficult thing for those without real supports, or a person who understands the complex issues around anxiety.

I am also unsure about his language skills to seek professional help.

One would think the Belgium authorities could assist him in his home country, or maybe he needs a skilled social worker support there.

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

To be perfectly honest, I would rather be back in my home country if I had the same condition, where treatment would be more accessible.

Can't see the fun staying here stuck indoors practically full time. 

This story isn't about you though, is it?

5 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

So having worked all his life I assume he had a work permit for Thailand for 10 years. Something smells a bit here. 

Add to that "in 2015 at the age of 38" statement.  I don't have a lot of sympathy for a 40 year old who thinks working for 20 years constitutes a lifetime of work.  

Archived