BANGKOK
webfact

Immigration rules led me to attempt suicide, says long term Belgian expat

This hot country is a cold cold place, emotionally. I hope he finds help, but this will not be the only one trying out stupid things and maybe succeeding. 🙄

5 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

live the life in Laos

Yes.  I don't know why those who live the life have stayed in Thailand.  The time to move on was long before now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wmccpa112253 said:

This story frankly sounds fishy and is short on facts.

The facts have all been posted in the post above yours .

6 hours ago, Myran said:

The immigration rules are hardly the problem here. He should've gotten medical help to deal with his anxiety.

Obviously, Thailand causes panic attacks in Belgians. Call M. Poirot, tout de suite!

I do not see how Thai Immigration had anything to do with the onset of your mental problems.  Did you get caught up in Thai Immigration's efforts to clamp down on Tourist Visa / Exempt Entry abuses?

Edited by 55Jay

Forget all the bloggers think so negative on this website all the time and think they are medical trained to give advice about medical issues. There are a lot of good positive people on this site.

Many medical problems happen slowly over time and not caught until its too late to figure out.

I am sorry for your circumstances and hope you can get the help and finances you need. 

Immigration does not make it easy to figure out what's going on or assure they will follow their own rules from place to place. Most, I guessing, have never had depression, or panic attacks. Find help fast and think positive. Never give up. Think of your heath first. You are not alone.

If he had panic attacks and it was a recognised condition then surely he shkjld have been going in anf out of hospitals fkr treatment 

I dont know about belgium but in Uk he would have been hospitalised.

Maybe if he seeked medical assistance first  then this may habe helped hks visa situation

There are allot of people in hospital technialy on overstay

I am not sure how they get round this and something i should look into 

I never had to overstay because i was in hospital  but i bet it happens allot

I am sure that if the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs heard of this serious issue, they would immediately address it by hiring an army of qualified psychotherapists to offer their services to foreigners living in this country. The services would preferably be free of charge to those who need them and one's personal opinion would be sufficient to qualify for a 10-year-long treatment. During which time the participant would be exempt from any disturbing visa formalities that may worsen his/her fragile mental health.

Edited by smtsetup
Edit
  • Haha 1

A Belgian man who lived in Thailand for ten years has said that the country's "harsher overstay rules" led him to attempt suicide. 

i feel like that every time i see the exchange rate for sterling. 😥

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to say something but I best keep my mouth shut tight.

If only humans were humane... sigh

(including all the Organisations's who says they are)

Edited by ravip

All he had to do was fly out and pay his fine during the long signaled blacklisting amnesty when there were no blacklisting penalties being enforced for overstaying. Just clear you overstay by leaving and paying the 20K fine. The coming blacklisting penalty for those that did not make their stay legal was understood by everyone. :coffee1:

• Like 1