Import cigars - Do I need a license?

Yes, but it's more complicated than that. You need to submit each type/size of cigar for a burn test. You need to supply the approved laboratory with a list of ingredients and also a list of substances produced when the ingredients are burned. You have to pay for the analysis that checks your submission and supply a small quantity of cigars to be tested. You will find this in Article 37 of the attached translation of the Tobacco Products Control Act 2017. 

Should the products pass, you will need to purchase a Certificate of Tobacco Product Ingredients and
Burn Products. Each certificate costs 100,000 baht (see the Schedule of Fees on Page 21).

You will also have to submit your packaging for inspection to ensure it complies with the legislation surrounding visual warnings, etc.

Once you get your approvals, certificates and licenses you will have to deal with Thai customs who will want to see these to allow your future shipments to be cleared.

Thailand - TC Act 2017.pdf

5 hours ago, goatfarmer said:

How about for personal use? If I import a single box or a bundle for personal consumption will they be returned to sender at Laem Chabang customs?

No idea. Give it a try with some inexpensive cigars and keep us posted.

20 minutes ago, CGW said:

I have about a 90% success rate getting cigars sent here, there is one company will refund if cigars don't arrive.

Where is 'here'? Seems like there are different rules in Bangkok and Pattaya.

How many times have you imported cigars?

9 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

Where is 'here'? Seems like there are different rules in Bangkok and Pattaya.

How many times have you imported cigars?

I live in Udon, I have ordered cigars online at least ~60 or more times.

44 minutes ago, blackcab said:

No idea. Give it a try with some inexpensive cigars and keep us posted.

About a year ago or so they had a change of personnel at the Laem Chabang office where you open packages for inspection. Cigars used to be no problem but the new boss will not allow it. I was given one warning, but allowed to keep the cigars but was told "Never again". She was true to her word. about four months later i had a few cigars included with a package of all my forwarded mail. The entire package was confiscated, not just the cigars but letters, bills, everything. The mail package was received back at the sending origin in the US about four months later which shocked me as I didn't expect to ever see any of that mail again.

Similar thing happened to a friend who also decided to test it.

Any other office besides Laem Chabang and you're probably ok.

6 hours ago, goatfarmer said:

How about for personal use? If I import a single box or a bundle for personal consumption will they be returned to sender at Laem Chabang customs?

When I got busted the lady said it didn't matter if it was for personal use or not. She insisted that a license from the Excise Dept is required and even gave me the name of the local office and phone number. Not really feasible for an individual.

Archived