Newbies Guide to Surviving Thai Driving Style

freedomnow

3 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Although I have yet to drive in Thailand and plan to avoid it if possible - If I did drive a car,  I would definitely get a front and rear dashcam recorder.

best settle for nothing less than a 360

36 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Although I have yet to drive in Thailand and plan to avoid it if possible - If I did drive a car,  I would definitely get a front and rear dashcam recorder.

And then you can watch the video in the hospital: I was right, so bad the other guy didn't care and didn't stop...

Here is a few from me:

1- Thais love to cut corners,  no matter what corner and what speed,  they change lanes,  even go to opposite incoming lane,  just to cut that corner, at 40km/h....! ? No idea why,  they must learn that from somewhere,  so beware...

2- Do not change lane as much as possible,  as long as you're going straight they viz by you from left and right,  but you are safe,  if you change lane then they hit you,  in their driving assumptions book nobody suppose to change lane,  even with indicators,  they don't see or care... I had many close calls due to that,  now very careful... 

3- Motorbikes go up one way streets all the times,  or even on the left shoulder,  in the damn motorway...!!!? They think is quite fine,  why would you go two kilometers up the road for a u-turn when you can go into opposite traffic for a few hundred meters, after so many years it still surprises me when I see them and many F words in my head when pass them closely, or see them late....  

4- Never loose attention or day dream or watch the sites etc. while riding or driving,  watch the road like a hawk, even one km ahead and one km behind,  it's just like you are in a Grand Prix circuit, you need to anticipate the worst at all times and prepare to avoid it,  that one second that you do not pay attention could be your last here,  it's that bad... 

On 2/8/2019 at 2:13 PM, Damrongsak said:

41 years ago I went over the bars by hitting two stupid kids who ran an intersection on a scooter outside town. There was virtually no traffic back then in Loei.  I wasn't exactly a newbie.  I did my best Superman impression and flew through the air.  The locals were so impressed that they straightened out a couple bent parts of my bike and gave me a push start toward town.

Off topic but I had a mate in Loei.Big Bob an American .He had  Fat Bob Harley.One of natures gentlemen .Just wondering if he is still around.Used to have coffee with him everytime I was in Loei.He wasn't in the best of health and

I'm talking about 15 yrs ago so chances are he's not around anymore.

4 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Off topic but I had a mate in Loei.Big Bob an American .He had  Fat Bob Harley.One of natures gentlemen .Just wondering if he is still around.Used to have coffee with him everytime I was in Loei.He wasn't in the best of health and

I'm talking about 15 yrs ago so chances are he's not around anymore.

I met him over 15 years ago on a visit.  My Thai brother-in-law was his local mechanic.  I think he had a Honda Gold Wing (?) back then.  As far as I know, Bob's still around.  He lost a leg due to health and is not riding anymore AFIK.  His wife died last year.  You might see some recent pictures on Facebook - Saloon Loei or Loei Gentleman's Motorcycle Club. 

Pics from Oct/Nov 2018.  Others at https://www.facebook.com/bigbob.loei

44339278_1912921258802644_23255975008382

46706080_1961646497263453_31732534446726

10 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I met him over 15 years ago on a visit.  My Thai brother-in-law was his local mechanic.  I think he had a Honda Gold Wing (?) back then.  As far as I know, Bob's still around.  He lost a leg due to health and is not riding anymore AFIK.  His wife died last year.  You might see some recent pictures on Facebook - Saloon Loei or Loei Gentleman's Motorcycle Club. 

Pics from Oct/Nov 2018.  Others at https://www.facebook.com/bigbob.loei

44339278_1912921258802644_23255975008382

46706080_1961646497263453_31732534446726

Wow.Thanks for that.That's the man.He has lost a ton of weight.I always thought his wife would outlive him.He had a Valkyrie when I met him then an 1800 VTX then the Harley.He only had one working eye in those days due to diabetes so the leg is understandable.

If you see him please say hello for me Paul the Aussie I had a Blue 600VLX in those days.I'll look him up on FB

EDIT.   Thanks again I just looked him up on FB and sent him a message. 

Yeah, maybe it was a Valkyrie. What do I know about big bikes?  Bob liked and trusted my bro-in-law, because no one else up there in Loei at the time knew anything about care and feeding of big bikes.  My kid brother cared, read all the books.  Now he's in USA and works as a cook. Still get his hands dirty ... that makes for authentic Thai cuisine, LOL.

image.png.068a7a7f6f28a17cbf221e6c0f4f6601.png

For the first few weeks I would advise not to lane split and just sit back with the cars unless there's a massive gap which is easy to make.

Once you feel confident enough and learnt your bike and can master the balance at low speeds and quickly shifting your weight between the left and right( to avoid car mirrors ) then back to center in a fast motion then try lane splitting/filtering. 

It's very rewarding and will cut a lot of your journey time by 1/3rd or a half . 

Unless you've been to and driven in one of Indonesia, Vietnam or India I think you can't really prepare for Bangkok driving as it's so much different to western countries and only similar in some way to the ones I've mentioned above . So best to play it safe for the first few weeks or months, then you can drive like a local.

Nod your head if someone gives way to you and if you do by accident hit a mirror slightly while filtering apologise to the driver, it's not a big deal as it's just moved the angle (unless youre driving fast and smash it off or break the glass), but they will be okay if you acknowledge your mistake. 

I've been driving nearly 10 years now and I would call myself a good motorcycle driver, but still when I'm in Bangkok especially as I rent on Sukhumvit road near asok area, so always busy. once a week I would maybe touch a car mirror accidently. If you just drive off then expect a thunder of horns from the victim , if you stop and reposition the mirror back for them or put your hands up they will be fine . 

Just treat others how you would like to be treated , there are tons of bad drivers but don't sink to their levels and keep cool , remember you're on a bike and theyre in a big car, who's going to come out top in a game of break checking or road rage. Any bad drivers I experience, I just get away from them ASAP, try to accelerate past or go the other side of the road. When I first came here I made the mistake of horning a taxi as he was going to slow at night on a empty clear road . I went past him then I had him up my ass so I accelerated to the point we're both  doing about 130kmph for 5 minutes straight and following my every lane change, he was trying to run me off the road, like I had slept with his wife or something , it was a pretty scary experience  . After that I learn just to use the horn only in emergency and as said just not to engage and just try to get as far away possible from any bad drivers.  

I do like giving a rev bomb to some people though if they're day dreaming, it wakes them up fast and nearly soil themselves. 

On 2/8/2019 at 10:12 AM, freedomnow said:

Has any thread like this been done ?

It is obvious that there is a 'certain way' that we learn first-hand on Thai roads to be mentally prepared for that the FOBs don't know who end up mangled in hospital after renting scooters who assume they drive same as back home.

As in...all the quirks/crazy habits that occur on the roads...

A top 20 (or 50 !) things to watch out for here....if it can save one life it would be worth it !

My top :

1) Overall rule Never take anything for granted, red light, green light, one way, priority doesn't means anything here.

2) Always check your mirrors and blind spots when you change of lane and use your turning lights (basic right ?)

3)  Watch out for the "widow makers" u-turns, every 1km in the countryside and everywhere in Bangkok

4)   It's not because someone is driving in the 2nd or 3th lane in a x4 that's he's not gona turn left or right straight in your face at the next intersection

5)    When you stop at a red light and there's no or few cars behind you in the countryside, keep your eyes on the mirrors, truck's maybe coming for ya.

6)     Do not honk unless it's absolutely vital or you'r sure that you can win a fist vs machete fight. Preventive honking is fine, angry / abusive honking and get ready for a fight

7)      Do not shout / insult people whatever they did or say for the same reason as point 6)

8 )      What's done is done, you won't travel back in time, don't get upset, don't take the others bad behavior too personal, same as 6)

9)        Always keep your eyes on the road, dirt, bumps, oil, slippery roads are everywhere

10)        If you avoid a close crash, don't waste time looking at the car and complaining while driving, keep your eyes straight on the road you don't know what's coming in front of you.

11)         Never drive on the first left lane if you can, that's where the road is <deleted>*** up and where every buses / taxi / tuk tuk / songteo are gona pull over.

12)         Watch out for the cars door opening if you'r overtaking a car by the left (sidewalk side), i know you shouldn't do it, but it just happens.

13)          If you drive a manual bike, not an AT scooter always use the proper gear in order to have some engine braking, I've too often seen crashes where guys are doing 60 in 4-5th gear and they just crash as a fat ass buffalo because they can't brake properly.

14)           Do not listen music with earphones, you need to hear what's around you (i know right, but i know many people who do this)

15)            You can't always be wearing full gears (jacket, backpack, gloves, boots, pants) but at least ride with a proper helmet and some gloves, if you hesitate to put your hands on the ground when you crash because you don't have any gloves, it's not gonna end well for you.

16)            Keep your bike in a good shape, don't be cheap on brake pads / chain and sprockets at least.

17)             Do not ride too close to a vehicle too high where you can't see what's coming in front of it, they often pull hard left / right at the last second to avoid something on the road and you won't have time to avoid it.

Okay i think it's pretty solid list already, i'll edit later if i find something else.

I was in a bad situation just the other day, a few bikes and cars going fast at a green that turned yellow, I was in the middle with car coming fast from behind, I said what the hell I go through yellow, then even that turned red... !!!?

There was plenty of time to stop, but the bikes and a nasty car behind me didn't want to, I had to make a quick decision and decided I'm not going through a red with all these behind, fortunately managed to pull to the left and slow down and stop without an accident,  all the others behind went right through the red like it was green, even sped up, only a miracle nothing happened...feeeww.

Always slow down before traffic lights, and check behind...

7 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I was in a bad situation just the other day, a few bikes and cars going fast at a green that turned yellow, I was in the middle with car coming fast from behind, I said what the hell I go through yellow, then even that turned red... !!!?

There was plenty of time to stop, but the bikes and a nasty car behind me didn't want to, I had to make a quick decision and decided I'm not going through a red with all these behind, fortunately managed to pull to the left and slow down and stop without an accident,  all the others behind went right through the red like it was green, even sped up, only a miracle nothing happened...feeeww.

Always slow down before traffic lights, and check behind...

Yah sometimes it's the other way around 

You'r the bike behind a car and the guy is like yah you know what, i can do it, starts to rev, plenty of time to go through, you'r like that's my boy let's do it bro, gear down, revs UP, and then ...then the car guy would be yaaah you know what ? changed my mind, i'm good, stopping now..

And you'd be like, Oh-boy i see how it us, UH-OH okay, okay, fine well tell my kinds i love theeeeem.

Eventually you manage to stop your bike on time, you're just gonna need fresh underwear and pants.

So basically don't do that ! It would be the rules 16 (yours) and 17 (that one) on my list ???? 

On 2/22/2019 at 1:52 PM, hello55060 said:

For the first few weeks I would advise not to lane split and just sit back with the cars unless there's a massive gap which is easy to make.

Once you feel confident enough and learnt your bike and can master the balance at low speeds and quickly shifting your weight between the left and right( to avoid car mirrors ) then back to center in a fast motion then try lane splitting/filtering. 

It's very rewarding and will cut a lot of your journey time by 1/3rd or a half . 

Unless you've been to and driven in one of Indonesia, Vietnam or India I think you can't really prepare for Bangkok driving as it's so much different to western countries and only similar in some way to the ones I've mentioned above . So best to play it safe for the first few weeks or months, then you can drive like a local.

Nod your head if someone gives way to you and if you do by accident hit a mirror slightly while filtering apologise to the driver, it's not a big deal as it's just moved the angle (unless youre driving fast and smash it off or break the glass), but they will be okay if you acknowledge your mistake. 

I've been driving nearly 10 years now and I would call myself a good motorcycle driver, but still when I'm in Bangkok especially as I rent on Sukhumvit road near asok area, so always busy. once a week I would maybe touch a car mirror accidently. If you just drive off then expect a thunder of horns from the victim , if you stop and reposition the mirror back for them or put your hands up they will be fine . 

Just treat others how you would like to be treated , there are tons of bad drivers but don't sink to their levels and keep cool , remember you're on a bike and theyre in a big car, who's going to come out top in a game of break checking or road rage. Any bad drivers I experience, I just get away from them ASAP, try to accelerate past or go the other side of the road. When I first came here I made the mistake of horning a taxi as he was going to slow at night on a empty clear road . I went past him then I had him up my ass so I accelerated to the point we're both  doing about 130kmph for 5 minutes straight and following my every lane change, he was trying to run me off the road, like I had slept with his wife or something , it was a pretty scary experience  . After that I learn just to use the horn only in emergency and as said just not to engage and just try to get as far away possible from any bad drivers.  

I do like giving a rev bomb to some people though if they're day dreaming, it wakes them up fast and nearly soil themselves. 

Good points....  although I’ve only ‘touched’ a cars mirrors with my bike mirrors twice... once the car (a pickup didn’t like it and belted his horn - my mistake, I wouldn’t have liked it either)... it can happen when splitting traffic on a motorcycle and not having your mirrors folded in (which I never do because I like to use them !)....

In a car I’ve had my mirrors touched a couple of times... it doesn’t bother me as its only ever an accident and its at a time I’ve not given enough room for a motorcycle to pass on one side or the other (or the car next to me hasn’t).

I’ve also had a worrying encounter hitting my horn at a crazed driver while driving back from the South part of Hua Hin in two lane traffic on route 37. Following the car in front in the right hand lane I was about to pass a bus in busy traffic. The right hand lane flowing slightly quicker than the left. A car (older BMW - not that it matters) was zipping through the traffic changing lanes...  He came up my inside (left side) and cut in front of me, I would have hit his rear quarter if I didn’t brake hard... I hit the horn. He didn’t like that at all and slammed on his brakes, he then accelerated away to the next car and as I caught up behind him in busy 80kmh traffic he slammed his brakes on again and slowed to about 30kmh, so I moved to the now clear left lane, he moved left, I moved right, he moved right... so I just slowed more to about 20kmh and he slowed almost to a stop... I kept about 20 meters from him.... traffic had built up behind us. I was wondering what happens if he stops - I figured I’d just stay in the car, but what if he has a gun?... If so the options become limited but one of them was to just run him over (yes, quite extreme)... Fortunately he then wheel-span away and swerved violently from left to right and back a few times before coming up the the next pocket of vehicles and cutting them up.....  I caught it all on Dash-Cam and considered posting it here, but figured I’d only be on the receipt of some abusive comments from a handful of imbalanced posters and couldn’t be bothered with the ensuing discussion...  I considered sending the video to he BiB but figured they wouldn’t do anything. I considered having my Wife post the video on Panthip, but to post on Panthip ID has to be registered and then the same nut job could catch up with my Wife... it was easier to just leave it and remind myself not to use the horn when a tool is being a tool on the roads.... 

When out of on the motorcycle I find most cars to be quite courteous... its the other motorcyclists who get my goat when hovering in my blindspot or when zipping past me at speed and living mere inches....   thus, the biggest advice I have for both motorcyclists and drivers is ‘No sudden movements’.... 

10 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

My top :

1) Overall rule Never take anything for granted, red light, green light, one way, priority doesn't means anything here.

2) Always check your mirrors and blind spots when you change of lane and use your turning lights (basic right ?)

3)  Watch out for the "widow makers" u-turns, every 1km in the countryside and everywhere in Bangkok

4)   It's not because someone is driving in the 2nd or 3th lane in a x4 that's he's not gona turn left or right straight in your face at the next intersection

5)    When you stop at a red light and there's no or few cars behind you in the countryside, keep your eyes on the mirrors, truck's maybe coming for ya.

6)     Do not honk unless it's absolutely vital or you'r sure that you can win a fist vs machete fight. Preventive honking is fine, angry / abusive honking and get ready for a fight

7)      Do not shout / insult people whatever they did or say for the same reason as point 6)

8 )      What's done is done, you won't travel back in time, don't get upset, don't take the others bad behavior too personal, same as 6)

9)        Always keep your eyes on the road, dirt, bumps, oil, slippery roads are everywhere

10)        If you avoid a close crash, don't waste time looking at the car and complaining while driving, keep your eyes straight on the road you don't know what's coming in front of you.

11)         Never drive on the first left lane if you can, that's where the road is <deleted>*** up and where every buses / taxi / tuk tuk / songteo are gona pull over.

12)         Watch out for the cars door opening if you'r overtaking a car by the left (sidewalk side), i know you shouldn't do it, but it just happens.

13)          If you drive a manual bike, not an AT scooter always use the proper gear in order to have some engine braking, I've too often seen crashes where guys are doing 60 in 4-5th gear and they just crash as a fat ass buffalo because they can't brake properly.

14)           Do not listen music with earphones, you need to hear what's around you (i know right, but i know many people who do this)

15)            You can't always be wearing full gears (jacket, backpack, gloves, boots, pants) but at least ride with a proper helmet and some gloves, if you hesitate to put your hands on the ground when you crash because you don't have any gloves, it's not gonna end well for you.

16)            Keep your bike in a good shape, don't be cheap on brake pads / chain and sprockets at least.

17)             Do not ride too close to a vehicle too high where you can't see what's coming in front of it, they often pull hard left / right at the last second to avoid something on the road and you won't have time to avoid it.

Okay i think it's pretty solid list already, i'll edit later if i find something else.

Solid list. Found a lot of these issues as well. Should keep a compiled sticky list at top of motorbike forum...will save some new biker guy from the worst.

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A car (older BMW - not that it matters) was zipping through the traffic changing lanes...  He came up my inside (left side) and cut in front of me, I would have hit his rear quarter if I didn’t brake hard... I hit the horn. He didn’t like that at all and slammed on his brakes, he then accelerated away to the next car and as I caught up behind him in busy 80kmh traffic he slammed his brakes on again and slowed to about 30kmh, so I moved to the now clear left lane, he moved left, I moved right, he moved right... so I just slowed more to about 20kmh and he slowed almost to a stop... I kept about 20 meters from him.... traffic had built up behind us. I was wondering what happens if he stops -

Your mistake was letting this situation go too far.

At the first opportunity to pull along side him, you should have let him have both barrels of your sawn off shotgun.

When in Rome and all that... :ph34r:

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but what if he has a gun?...

Archived