I used a bum gun for the first time

ghworker2010

It took my about 6 months to understand the bum gun was better, more hygienic and cleaner than toilet papers.

I have lived here almost 10 years, when I go back to Europe from time to time , I feel "dirty" down there after using only toilet paper.  I am thinking about bringing a portable bum gun with me on my next trip. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

I think the gun is still relatively new here. Question is, has anybody used the water tank and bowl ????

Sure. No choice sometimes. Awkward but also leaves u cleaner than toilet paper. But with this method there must always be some faecal contamination back to the bowl, and from the bowl to the tank so you get the contamination from previous users; Not a problem on yer bum and well washed hands, but Thais often use the same water tank for bathing and maybe even teeth cleaning. Not a nice thought really!

14 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Sure. No choice sometimes. Awkward but also leaves u cleaner than toilet paper. But with this method there must always be some faecal contamination back to the bowl, and from the bowl to the tank so you get the contamination from previous users; Not a problem on yer bum and well washed hands, but Thais often use the same water tank for bathing and maybe even teeth cleaning. Not a nice thought really!

I think you are trying to tip the water too precisely. This is what you do. Pull the T-shirt up your back and over your shoulder. Hold the end of the T-shirt in your teeth.

Now tip the water - from the bowl - down your back. Use the free hand to guide the water on to the parts you wish to wash.

Now, with the jet wash! Test the jet strength before the 'real deal'. A bar-girl friend of mine told me that the jet was so strong that it went right into her ring-piece; causing her problems for the next hour or so.

So, let's be careful out there people.

3 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

An Indonesian colleague of mine once told me that he was disgusted when he first heard about the real use for toilet paper.

Yes, it is a filthy habit when you think about it. We in the West, excepting the French and their bidet, have just taken it for granted as being the only way to do it and thinking it great progress from using newspaper.

31 minutes ago, balo said:

It took my about 6 months to understand the bum gun was better, more hygienic and cleaner than toilet papers.

I have lived here almost 10 years, when I go back to Europe from time to time , I feel "dirty" down there after using only toilet paper.  I am thinking about bringing a portable bum gun with me on my next trip. 

Portable? I suppose you could buy and carry a 1l garden sprayer in the West.

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I think you are trying to tip the water too precisely. This is what you do. Pull the T-shirt up your back and over your shoulder. Hold the end of the T-shirt in your teeth.

Now tip the water - from the bowl - down your back. Use the free hand to guide the water on to the parts you wish to wash.

Now, with the jet wash! Test the jet strength before the 'real deal'. A bar-girl friend of mine told me that the jet was so strong that it went right into her ring-piece; causing her problems for the next hour or so.

He he, aww that's where I went wrong, I jumped into the water tank and had a bath.

6 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Yes, it is a filthy habit when you think about it. We in the West, excepting the French and their bidet, have just taken it for granted as being the only way to do it and thinking it great progress from using newspaper.

Wet wipes! its not the 1950's. If you want to wash your ass, go for a shower.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think the bum gun gets you cleaner than toilet paper,

especially when your finger goes through the paper and

ends up covered in shit,

Then you have problem that maybe your toilet gets blocked

with the paper, so its bum gun for me everytime.

regards Worgeordie

the toilet gets only blocked in third world countries not in the civilized world

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Well its been awhile, guess we were due for this to come around again.

Take a shovel full of dirt and throw it on the patio, then try wipe it up with towels, or clean off using a hose pipe. The principal is the same, the hose will get it cleaner, faster, every time.

One of the best things to ever come out of Thailand "The bum gun" wouldnt care to use anything else now. Even installed one in my home in the UK.

The bidet appears to have been an invention of French furniture makers in the late 17th century, although no exact date or inventor is known. The earliest written reference to the bidet is in 1726 in Italy.

5 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

the toilet gets only blocked in third world countries not in the civilized world

Why do you think the toilet paper here is so flimsy? I know people who double and even four-ply it because of lack of trust in the stuff. Then the goodies will not flush down the loo.

On a positive note. Virtually all the modern malls and service stations have a paper and wash facility.

It was Yinluck Shin who wanted all toilets in government departments to have western style loos. A small step for farangs, a giant leap for Thailand. 

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I think most people/tourists who come to visit here on holiday, if they have a wet room type bathroom back home, the first thing they do is install a bum gun.

Every person who has ever visited us says the bum gun is a revelation compared to smearing shIt all over your crack...

Concur with all the above posts - far more hygenic than crappy paper (excuse the pun).

And another thing, going back to the motherland every couple of years for family visits etc - i dread the rigmarole of having to use bog roll to clean my poor, sore arse.

Yes that is another negative point about using toilet paper in such a hot sweaty climate; one's dirty arse gets sore very quickly; even more when u add in the chili ring of fire factor!

27 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A bar-girl friend of mine told me that the jet was so strong that it went right into her ring-piece; causing her problems for the next hour or so.

Yes you should test the pressure first . 

I like the Korean toilets installed at Terminal 21.  You can adjust anything and even a dryer so no toilet paper needed. In South Korea this is the normal public toilet standard. 

P1160274_2.jpg

19 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

That might be the very reason that the undeveloped 3rd world countries use water for this purpose since time immemorial.

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Why do you think the toilet paper here is so flimsy? I know people who double and even four-ply it because of lack of trust in the stuff. Then the goodies will not flush down the loo.

On a positive note. Virtually all the modern malls and service stations have a paper and wash facility.

It was Yinluck Shin who wanted all toilets in government departments to have western style loos. A small step for farangs, a giant leap for Thailand. 

I wont be going down on her then!

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

And another thing, going back to the motherland every couple of years for family visits etc - i dread the rigmarole of having to use bog roll to clean my poor, sore arse.

I have started taking along hygienic wipes, better than toilet paper in all ways. Just remember to put them in the waste basket.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

One of the reasons I shop at Home Pro is they have bum guns in toilet.  Try never to go anywhere that does not have them. 

Whatever happens to a shit,shower,shave the three Ss.Do you have to shit everytime you go out? One more thing if you use a bum gun you have to dry yourself with toilet paper I assume!

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

WARNING: Beware when using the bum gun with the water pressure too high or your brains might end up on the ceiling......????.  There is usually a valve just beyond the base of the hose with which u can reduce the pressure.

I'm such a tight-arse that's no problem.

Let me suggest people who need your advice are not going to be having a brain-splatter event.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think the bum gun gets you cleaner than toilet paper,

especially when your finger goes through the paper and

ends up covered in shit,

Then you have problem that maybe your toilet gets blocked

with the paper, so its bum gun for me everytime.

regards Worgeordie

Agreed about cleanliness, and having a towel for each person to wipe after use, saves the paper situation or dry with paper and have in a container dry for the disposal of paper, remember that Thai waste pipes are smaller in general that those in many euro/aust/usa homes, so block more easily.

It is quite obvious many westerners  are inept at the use of toilet paper.

One must be dimwitted or physically challenged to stick his finger through the paper or to smear feces over one's backside. One is not supposed to excavate or dig when using toilet tissue.   The spray gun  creates an aerosol of feces that leaves a coating of fecal material  everywhere the water lands. One may not see it, but the e.coli is sent flying everywhere.  If one wishes to spray, then invest in a Japanese creation, a Toto.

11 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

I have started taking along hygienic wipes, better than toilet paper in all ways. Just remember to put them in the waste basket.

Hygienic wipes should never be disposed of down a toilet though as you said, they cause massive blockages and never  biodegradable  

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The "trigger" on the apparatus is not an on/off switch. It can be squeezed gently. Also the apparatus may have a ball valve at the supply end which can be slightly closed to "tune" the water flow/pressure.

Also there are different nozzles available some have a finer gentler spray pattern. 

The Japanese have this down to a fine art, with a different angles for women and men, adjustable water pressure,  and a seat that fully encloses the top of the toilet bowl for further cleanliness.

36 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

This is due to differences in plumbing, most western countries use larger pipes (up to 4 inches in diameter) from toilets, while in Thailand the norm seems to be up to 2 inches.

27 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Is that a giant leap from the anals of history?

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Maybe so. But keeping  your  strides out of the collective previous dump puddle while taking  the shot is  no fun!

Would be ok if I wore  shorts  but if I do small children like to  pull the  hairs on my very hairy legs. Also no fun.

No, it's no more fun with shorts. I always take them off before entering the bathroom.

I wonder how all the Thai girls following their husbands back to farangland are dealing with only toilet paper?  Must be a horrible situation for the poor ladies.  

Archived