BANGKOK 23 March 2019 15:35
4MyEgo

Where to move in Thailand to get away from the smoke

How about somewhere with high altitude?

Any good high mountain places?

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2019 at 9:04 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Yes of course, I have driven down further to through Krabi were we have stayed, and at Koh Lanta, Trang, and Songkhla, beautiful areas, but a little too close to the border for my liking with all the problems they have further down that way. 

Most of the problems down south are three provinces right on the border, cannot remember the names. Spent some time with educated Thai friends down Phattalung way, overnighted there & Nakhon Si Thammarat. Heavy rain & possible flooding down that way at times. My friend has a house in Hua Hin inland a KM or so. Seemed like a pleasant enough place/area.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, JayBird said:

How about somewhere with high altitude?

Any good high mountain places?

To be closer to Buddha no doubt 🙂

On 2/15/2019 at 4:32 AM, vinniekintana said:

..there's very little rice cultivation or other annual crops in the south...the biggest culprits for haze

The biggest culprit is not rice, it is sugar cane

21 hours ago, JayBird said:

How about somewhere with high altitude? Any good high mountain places?

Mountains are typically in the north of Thailand where the worst of the smoke problem is. I am about 1000 meters up. The air appears somewhat better visually, but some smog is certainly still evident. If you are an active outdoor person concerned with health I can't recommend high altitudes amid smoggy places.

6 hours ago, uhuh said:

The biggest culprit is not rice, it is sugar cane

Thai's will burn everything, not just rice or sugar. Every crop, every pasture, every forest, every bit of plastic, everything is burnt. Even if growing fruit trees they are known to gather all the dead branches and leaves to make big fires out of them. They just love to burn and they don't care.

• Sad 1

There was a lot of smog in Krabi this morning and yesterday too.

When you stick your head out of the window and smell, it is a toxic smell. It is not just grass being burned.

I think it is dust + smog that is forming a cloud, not dissipating, permeating more and more, covering a larger and larger area from Myanmar to Cambodia and Vietnam, down south Thailand way.

I doubt Hua Hin has clean air.

You need to go to Songkla! Lots of wind and clean air there.  Good location except the travel warning, your not covered there.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

There was a lot of smog in Krabi this morning and yesterday too.

When you stick your head out of the window and smell, it is a toxic smell. It is not just grass being burned.

I think it is dust + smog that is forming a cloud, not dissipating, permeating more and more, covering a larger and larger area from Myanmar to Cambodia and Vietnam, down south Thailand way.

I doubt Hua Hin has clean air.

You need to go to Songkla! Lots of wind and clean air there.  Good location except the travel warning, your not covered there.

Check this link on a regular basis for a few months - one year (if time allows and capture screen shots bi-weekly or so for comparison, the issue is a fluid one and many areas are affected at one point or another - some for more days per year than others, etc..

https://www.airvisual.com/earth

Right now, all of Thailand is much better off than a few weeks back, worst area now is Udon?Nong Khai, and sounds like you are in that area....