Police threaten trash-burners with 7 years in jail

Rimmer

Police threaten trash-burners with 7 years in jail

image.png

PATTAYA:--Police are threatening up to seven years in jail for burning grass and garbage during Thailand’s air pollution crisis.

The Crime Suppression Division issued the warning online that outdoor burning carries jail time of 1-7 years in prison and fines of 2,000-14,000 baht, depending on the danger the fire poses to others.

The Pattaya fire department is enforcing the law, saying many people in the region are ignoring how the smoke is contributing to poor air quality and throwing toxic, microscopic dust into the air.

Bangkok, where the CSD is based, and to a lesser extent Pattaya, have been struggling with high amounts of airborne particulate matter measuring 2.5 microns or less that are too small for the human body to filter out before it reaches the lungs.

Garbage and grass fires, particularly those started with accelerants, are a major contributor to the so-called PM 2.5 problem, the department said.

While burning on private property doesn’t pose much of a fire hazard to others, it still contributes to air pollution, officials said. Those found violating the law will first be warned and, if caught again, prosecuted.

Penalties increase for fires started on open land that could spread to adjacent buildings or property.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-08-02--

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the village where I live, there is no garbage collection (My Old Man doesn't exist) so we must burn some of it in our back garden. But we do it in a concrete pipe lifted off the ground so air can get under the fire, so it's all done in a short time with not much smoke. No alternative.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

In the village where I live, there is no garbage collection (My Old Man doesn't exist) so we must burn some of it in our back garden. But we do it in a concrete pipe lifted off the ground so air can get under the fire, so it's all done in a short time with not much smoke. No alternative.

Then the village should be forced to start collecting garbage...and all inhabitants have to be forced to pay for it.

26 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Then the village should be forced to start collecting garbage...and all inhabitants have to be forced to pay for it.

Would love to see it, but being the only falang in the village.............

Don't be confused legend, it means there is F ALL I can do about it.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Jail a few and all others will think twice,a fine does not seem

to cut it, the Government needs to take this issue very seriously.

regards worgeordie

"jail a few"..you are quite correct..the local coffee shop man-a well known drunken driver-was,after numerous fines put in the slammer for 10 days.

He emerged a shaken and somewhat diminished man..

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why not make a suggestion to the headman of the village ?

He did 'suggest' several months ago that all households should have 4 'bins' for glass, metal, plastic and 'green', but at their own expense. I agreed totally.

As i said, I am the only falang in the village!

I have had an on-going problem with trash burners in the vicinity of my house in a Village about 20 Km from Pattaya now for about 2 years.

the local Administration Office are well aware of the issue, which is complained about regularly by all the Village residents, however, they chose to ignore the problem.

Recently, I have taken to Photographing these trash burners, ( who are mostly from Commercial Operations that collect and sort recycle materials ) and telling them that if I see them again, I will take the evidence to the Local Office, who will take them to Court where they will be fined 2,000 Baht.

it seems to be working, as the number of fires has reduced dramatically, and you would not believe the amount of pollution caused in getting a little bit of Copper wire from its PVC shield.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Can't they simply dig a big pit people can throw it in then cover it??? Requires some organization and minimal expense.  I fear that not allowing burning will simply lead many to throw the garbage into the wind.

4 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Can't they simply dig a big pit people can throw it in then cover it... .rinse and repeat.... I can't see why not????

That's called LANDFILL. In my village alone they would need a f****g big hole. And of course, all the plastic, glass & metal would go in and be there FOREVER.

My village is 30 km from Phitsanulok, which calls itself the Recycling City of Thailand. There is a War on Waste going on at the moment.

What a load of rubbish  5555

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

He did 'suggest' several months ago that all households should have 4 'bins' for glass, metal, plastic and 'green', but at their own expense. I agreed totally.

As i said, I am the only falang in the village!

They must have thought that he was speaking Swahili..

The last time the neighbours burned their trash (all relatives of my wife) directly under my dining room window I simply poured water over their jolly little bonfire..

Brains of titmice...

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

They must have thought that he was speaking Swahili..

The last time the neighbours burned their trash (all relatives of my wife) directly under my dining room window I simply poured water over their jolly little bonfire..

Brains of titmice...

If I drenched their rubbish fire, it would then simply stay there in a pile until next time.

Just suggested to my GF that we talk with the Big Chief of the Village. She said 'No good, his wife always burns her rubbish'

Head & Brickwall! 

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If I drenched their rubbish fire, it would then simply stay there in a pile until next time.

Just suggested to my GF that we talk with the Big Chief of the Village. She said 'No good, his wife always burns her rubbish'

Head & Brickwall! 

Yeah..I hear you..

Even with all the blue bins scattered about (and collected once a week) they still enjoyed their jolly little,lethal,carcinogenic bonfires.

They never anticipated on garbage as many Asian countries dont. With growing population and tourists, you will have the problem coming to you.

But even then , in Koh Samui they had  a trash burner and broke down, but maintenance and fixing? They are still carrying by ship the waste to mainland, still make garbage belts for transport? 

In SAtun they made an incinerator, power generator working on wood ok good, but nothing is done with the garbage. People burn it them selves as in many provinces.

However Thailand buys submarines ??!! Wasted money.   

Of course.  The irony being that our local forest service were burning leaves and undergrowth on what I assume is Thai government land just the other day within our Tambon.  And today on my way back home I'm greeted with half a mountain-side on fire.  It's a prime place for Het Dtop mushrooms.  Ain't nobody gonna be fined or arrested for burning the forests down.  Lots of hot air, no action other than moving some wind.

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You can always stop eating :tongue:

36 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Can't they simply dig a big pit people can throw it in then cover it??? Requires some organization and minimal expense.  I fear that not allowing burning will simply lead many to throw the garbage into the wind.

Well for instance in Canada many small municipalities dig a large open pit then fill it with garbage than cover it with soil and it is eventually broken down. 

Mea culpa. I regularly burn off trimmed limbs of trees and other assorted vegetation as there is no where else for it to go. And actually I am feeding the other trees here that need the CO2 to make the oxygen that we breath. Maybe Pattaya and Bangkok should knock down every second building and plant trees.

36 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Well for instance in Canada many small municipalities dig a large open pit then fill it with garbage than cover it with soil and it is eventually broken down. 

Plastic & glass bottles, and tin cans do not break down.

11 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Mea culpa. I regularly burn off trimmed limbs of trees and other assorted vegetation as there is no where else for it to go. And actually I am feeding the other trees here that need the CO2 to make the oxygen that we breath. Maybe Pattaya and Bangkok should knock down every second building and plant trees.

Thank you.

I rest content knowing that the happy little pyromaniacal sugarcane farmers (and you) are only poisoning us all to death to MAKE THE TREES GROW!

So this is how you make trees grow, huh? (rural Isaan)

DSCN0265.JPG

DSCN0578.JPG

Archived