Final phase of North Road wire-burying project begins March 11

Rimmer

Final phase of North Road wire-burying project begins March 11

image.png

PATTAYA:--The Provincial Electricity Authority will begin the final phase of its project to bury power and utility wires under North Road in March, with more traffic congestion to continue into 2020.

Pattaya Deputy Mayor Banlue Kullavanijaya and PEA Assistant Gov. Nukul Tupanitch briefed city officials, residents and business owners Jan. 30 about the 211-million-baht project that will span the entire length of North Road from Sukhumvit Road to the Dolphin Roundabout.

Preparations will get underway Feb. 19 with the installation of barriers, lights and signs on the inbound and outbound center lanes of the busy thoroughfare. Actual digging will begin March 11.

The work will see 115-kilovolt cables and 22-kilovolt distributors buried under the center of North Road. The initial phase will cause the most bottlenecks, as heavy machinery is needed for two or three weeks to drill holes in the roadway.

However, parts of the road will continue to be closed for another year, with workers closing segments of lanes during off hours to reduce congestion. At the end of the wire-submersion, empty utility poles will be removed.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-08-02--

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Does that mean the first two phases have been completed and now this third phase is starting?

Why are they burying them separately?

I am confused and agree with you. They had all the road ripped up the centre/outside lanes last year and then resurfaced  Why could they not have buried the cables at that time? 

Edited by topt

11 minutes ago, topt said:

I am confused and agree with you. They had all the road ripped up the centre/outside lanes last year and then resurfaced  Why could they not have buried the cables at that time? 

Or, why didn't they install ductwork along the road to begin with?

I know that smacks of being organised, but it's a practical way to do it. Then they could draw the cables along the ductwork later.

(Actually my original post was a play on words about the 'final phrase' - as in a 'three phrase supply'. I have no idea how many previous 'cable burying phases' there have been.)

Edited by bluesofa
addendum
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, mikebell said:

So expect more closures of businesses along this road which has become a no-go area for traffic since T21 opened.

I have actually not driven into town down North Rd since this happened. Is it bad? I have driven out of town that way turning right off 3rd onto North towards Sukhumvit and it is tailed back like any of the 3 main roads out. 

21 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have actually not driven into town down North Rd since this happened. Is it bad? I have driven out of town that way turning right off 3rd onto North towards Sukhumvit and it is tailed back like any of the 3 main roads out. 

It is bad.  The interminable lights at 3rd Road means a tailback on to Suk when heading towards the beach.  How hard can it be for a computer boff to synchronise the lights so you NEVER have to wait at three red lights as most do when using Pattaya 
Klang.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

It is bad.  The interminable lights at 3rd Road means a tailback on to Suk when heading towards the beach.  How hard can it be for a computer boff to synchronise the lights so you NEVER have to wait at three red lights as most do when using Pattaya 
Klang.

You're talking about technology I can remember in the UK from nearly forty years ago.

Here in Thailand they seem to have recently invented it for themselves, as I've read it's going to be launched in Bangkok. We'll probably have to wait a while for it to appear in the provinces.

14 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Klang.

It appears the Thai solution is to park a policeman in a box who seems to lose interest in the job frequently. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, DrTuner said:

Thais don't do project management, the Thai way is to do it, rip it open, do it, rip it open .. and so on, until they are satisfied the road resembles a rice field just like back home. All hope is lost.

They certainly learned the thing in France where the administration makes companies do exactly the same bulls.hits with the key equivalent corruption.
Do not believe that Thailand is the hub of corruption;
in France it is even much worse with sums at stake much more substantial.
Thailand is still in the playground for toddlers if we compare it to France or Italy where the sums spent on corruption are a thousand times greater than in Thailand.
See the Taiwan frigates, for example, where the sums diverted have exceeded one billion euros.

Edited by Assurancetourix