Retirement extension to marriage

Rob5060

I am thinking of changing my visa extension from retirement to marriage to avoid having to tie up the extra 400.000 baht

Interested if anybody has done this in Chiang Mai

I seem to remember people saying it was difficult in Chiang Mai

No, it's not difficult.
You only need to submit all requested forms and additional documents. That's all.
May be people who say it is difficult means the early queuing in order to get a ticket for the same day.
But so far that was not a problem - for me - as there were always nice people in the queue to have an interesting chat with them.
If you want to get first hand info, please go to the information desk (students work there) at immigration and they will handover a copy of all forms and docs required.
Good luck!

First task is to get married....but if its a case of getting married to save 400k then dont!, the costs will be far higher.

I have to say I am surprised more people do t do the marriGe extension and go down the retirement route.

I think its because someone has spread nasty rumours that the paperwork takes 10minutes longer to collate.

The paperwork nuisance really is no more than waiting at a photocopier, and maybe getting some togrether photos done.

Actually its a pissball and your accounts only need to be in order for two months.

Go for it, its easier now, the wife doesnt need to get up at 6am to go with you anymore

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, Rob5060 said:

Thanks for the advice I was worried they would not like the change from retirement 

Im not worried about the little bit of extra paperwork

Cheers

More than a little bit of paperwork. Have to take photos of everything in house outside house, draw map to house by hand, etc, wait till it's processed, have the cops come visit to see if you really live there, etc. I've even heard that some have to have local headman come to immigration to testify you are living with wife.

Far easier to get retirement.

However, if the 400,000 is that important, do you have the choice anyway?

I have heard the staff don't like it because it's more work for them.

However, it could have changed- I've heard the new place is more customer friendly.

As they say, up to you.

The big difference with a marriage extension is, that you become first a 28 day consideration stamp and you have to go to Immigration a second time. The additional paperwork I think is not that much of additional work.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:58 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

More than a little bit of paperwork. Have to take photos of everything in house outside house, draw map to house by hand, etc, wait till it's processed, have the cops come visit to see if you really live there, etc. I've even heard that some have to have local headman come to immigration to testify you are living with wife.

Far easier to get retirement.

However, if the 400,000 is that important, do you have the choice anyway?

I have heard the staff don't like it because it's more work for them.

However, it could have changed- I've heard the new place is more customer friendly.

As they say, up to you.

What a scaremonger....

There is nothing in your post that is true.

The photo consists of 1. outside with the address, and I have used same one 4 times.

Never had anyone visit me.

The map is drawn while the IO is doing small talk with the wife., takes one minute.

Head man is not involved, thats for a yellow book.

Staff dont like it as its extra work......well I will concede this as they dont have much work ethic to start with.

Was this your experience TBL?, no just hearsay I suppose

8 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

What a scaremonger....

There is nothing in your post that is true.

The photo consists of 1. outside with the address, and I have used same one 4 times.

Never had anyone visit me.

The map is drawn while the IO is doing small talk with the wife., takes one minute.

Head man is not involved, thats for a yellow book.

Staff dont like it as its extra work......well I will concede this as they dont have much work ethic to start with.

Was this your experience TBL?, no just hearsay I suppose

My information comes from the visa forum pages where such has been reported many times. I didn't do the marriage extension precisely because I didn't want those hassles. Even the retirement extension was becoming more difficult over the years, but I've posted all that before, so not going to repeat.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. No such was needed when I got my yellow book. Very easy.

That goes to show that just because YOUR marriage extension was easy, it ain't necessarily so for others.

Talking about the yellow book.  Did you have to show proof of income translated in Thai when you applied for your yellow book?

On 2/9/2019 at 3:27 PM, Rob5060 said:

Thanks for the advice I was worried they would not like the change from retirement 

Im not worried about the little bit of extra paperwork

I don't think immigration cares whether you are on marriage or retirement visa.

You are lucky to be able to choose whereas most retirees don't have that option.

So do take marriage visa route.

It's a pain in the ass to tie up 800k for 5 months just because some people cheated immigration by borrowing from agents. 

Archived