Poll -- new confusing retirement police orders giving you stress?

Stressed out retirees in Thailand?  

342 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

What is NOT clear in the police order?

Orders. Not order.

Implementation/enforcement specifics for income method without embassy letters. Applicants are not told what they need to do to expect a successful application as they are a combination of bank and income the guidelines need to be very specific, yet we are basically told NOTHING

Not enough detail on the flexibility possibilities for full income method without embassy letters. Many examples. Such as if one monthly transfer is 64,999, is it game over?

Implementation/enforcement of the new seasoning rules for 800K. They say the rules. They say nothing of enforcement mechanics or the consequences

That's a start and I make no claims of covering everything. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

The way I see it is.....you want to apply for a new or further  extension of stay then you must meet the criterion as published in the police order. there was NO mention of the combo method being changed only the 800k in the bank method. I think you are all stressing out because that is what you do about anything!!

Seems to be the accepted norm these days...black face...OMG...the end of the world is nigh!!!

Come on guys...we're mostly adults on this forum aren't we. Use some intelligence for once. It's not about good Thais Vs bad farangs. Its about dodgy people generally. They did it with visa runners, ED abusers, now dodgy retirement extensions and dodgy marriage extensions will most likely be next. Can hardly blame the Thai people for wanting to clean up their immigration procedures...Can you?

I call B.S. 

If you're such a smarty pants, detail right here and now the specific rules for doing a combination application without embassy letters that will definitely be accepted if followed. 
You can't. 

Nobody can yet.

They haven't told us. 

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Gee i thought it was crystal clear. 65k or 800K with the proviso of not dropping below 400k for the requisite time period to be eligible to apply for a further extension of stay.

What is so hard to understand?

I realise this may be stressing some people out...but the order itself is not that hard to comprehend it is?

That's a gross simplification and anyone that has been following these issues knows it. So you're playing to that crowd. Just for fun. But I don't consider that you're adding any value here. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, emptypockets said:

As far as I am aware nothing has changed with the combo method. IT WAS NOT MENTIONED in the latest order.  Neither was any marriage extension changes mentioned much to the chagrin of the perpetual sadsacks who frequent this forum.

IMHO this is all about dodgy retirees gaming the system using agents, but whether it is successful remains to be seen. Surely you don't have to be a Rhodes scholar to realise this?

You want them to tell you nothing has changed? Get off you keyboard and go to your local immigration office and ask, instead of scaremongering on TVF!

As I expected you don't even understand the basics of the specific issues that have been mentioned on the forum numerous times already. Please don't bother me further with your obnoxious, ill informed hostility. Find someone else to play with. I'm no longer amused. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Corruption 101 said:

Perhaps the baked in uncertainty in the new rules is not incompetence, but rather a well planned strategy to bolster corruption revenue.

It's a theory! What we do already know is that agents are already out with new (much higher) price quotes to game the new scheme. So compliers get punished. Impressive!

• Like 1

Considering all the hot air expended on other threads, a surprising score for those with no stress. 

I feel for those at the other end of the scale. I reckon circumstances beyond their control are a major concern, not least currency exchange rates. Maybe the main news story today offers a brighter future not too far ahead. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, champers said:

How are compliers punished by higher agent rates? Looks like non-compliers who are being punished to me.

Are you serious? The perceived intention was to stop the corruption. We already see that isn't happening. Sure the customers will be charged more but they'll get their extension if they pay. The people that have been following the rules to the letter for many years are now under much tougher rules and if they can't meet them, fail to understand them, or have some kind of foul (like going under 400K) they face very serious consequences. Much more serious than paying more into the corruption food chain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corruption 101 said:

If you stop working on a Non B you are on overstay.  If you get divorced when you are on a Non O marriage you are on overstay.  

Can someone please explain to me, like I was a small child, or a golden retriever, why, if you fail to keep 400K in your account, that you will not be viewed as an overstay.

what happens under the current orders for someone on monthly income?  if monthly xfers drop to 60k for a few months are they considered on overstay?  will they be rounded up and deported?  or will they simply be denied an extension next time they apply?

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

what happens under the current orders for someone on monthly income?  if monthly xfers drop to 60k for a few months are they considered on overstay?  will they be rounded up and deported?  or will they simply be denied an extension next time they apply?

yes....simply denied

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Are you serious? The perceived intention was to stop the corruption. We already see that isn't happening. Sure the customers will be charged more but they'll get their extension if they pay. The people that have been following the rules to the letter for many years are now under much tougher rules and if they can't meet them, fail to understand them, or have some kind of foul (like going under 400K) they face very serious consequences. Much more serious than paying more into the corruption food chain. 

Your perception is not the same as mine. We will have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

No stress yet, coz I'm still working, my biggest problem when I retire is going to be showing the lump sum came from outside Thailand (all my money is earned here). Not exactly difficult to fix with an out-in transfer but still a bind.

I'll just continue to worry where it's all going. Something to do with being married to a wonderful Thai lady who does not do "cheap".

One suggestion would be to try to open a bank account in HK, then carry out some converted cash to that account and then set up the transfers. Longer term also not a bad idea for some savings outside LOS.

Another suggestion is to put 800k in a thai bank  while you are still working and sleep soundly at night. Or since you are married...go the 400k route...nobody cares where it came from, and you can still keep working!

I can't see immigration hurting their own people i.e. a thai lady/man married to a foreigner as long as they can meet the pretty simple conditions.

All of the recent actions IMHO is to reduce the number of single elderly males in the country. They add nothing to the country apart from a pittance of a pension that Thailand won't miss if they leave and if I'm truly honest they do nothing for the culture of the country.

The old con stories about Isaan families going broke etc etc......I just spent two days in BKK before coming home to Isaan. Talked to 4 bar girls. One from Isaan....3 from Bangkok.

Not too many sick buffaloes in Bangkok from what I have seen.

And lets face it...what country as they develop want a bunch of elderly single blokes living there? There is no logical reason these days....may have been when Thaksin lowered the requirements, but not anymore.

I see many old fellows whining about how they bought land, cars etc etc ad nauseum. Why didn't you get married. Scared of commitment?? Well the chooks have come home to roost it seems.

Edited by emptypockets

unfortunately the ones who caused this stress, will still beat the system. The nets been cast badly, missing border bouncers, nomads, ed visa cheats, phoney teachers ,YOU TUBE vlogers. its stressed those who should be left alone imo and totally missed the bums no felang likes anyway

1 minute ago, fforest1 said:

I guess all you stress level #1 guys just are not getting that there is more visa trouble in the pipeline...

Yes.

For examples suppose you want to do a conversion from a tourist visa or 30 day stamp to an O visa in Thailand to get set up to then apply for a retirement extension. 

How is that effected by all the rule changes for retirement visas?

If people must get O visas or O-A visas abroad, what changes are in store for those?

• Like 1

Just now, fforest1 said:

Whats funny is after all the so called riff-raff is cleaned out you rich guys and elite visa holders will have no one left to talk to but the Chinese and Indians...lol 

Sounds fine to me. But I'm a little concerned about all the "elite" passengers in the airport limos that will have less class than the drivers. Do I need to dress up for the limo rides?

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

For examples suppose you want to do a conversion from a tourist visa or 30 day stamp to an O visa in Thailand to get set up to then apply for a retirement extension. 

How is that effected by all the rule changes for retirement visas?

If people must get O visas or O-A visas abroad, what changes are in store for those?

Meet the rules that exist at the time of application.

People seem to forget that they apply for  12 month extension of stay....not a lifetime pass. Even after forty years, unless you get PR or naturalization...you are still effectively a long stay tourist.

Edited by emptypockets