Poll -- new confusing retirement police orders giving you stress?

Stressed out retirees in Thailand?  

342 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

For examples suppose you want to do a conversion from a tourist visa or 30 day stamp to an O visa in Thailand to get set up to then apply for a retirement extension. 

How is that effected by all the rule changes for retirement visas?

If people must get O visas or O-A visas abroad, what changes are in store for those?

The rule changes don’t change anything. 

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The rule changes don’t change anything. 

Not yet. PM sent.

BTW, if you ever get all those questions you mentioned before on combo applications without letters answered, please post everything you find out. We're still in the dark about details about those. 

Edited by Jingthing

11 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Zero stress.

I think the writing is on the wall for many, rather than moan about it day and night find a solution in your home country or some other cheap location. I read the but but but but excuses, frankly, the Thais don't care and with the rabid posts I lost interest and compassion.

Quite correct. THe Thais DON'T care,,,,and that's the problem. What REALLY makes my blood boil is all of the "their country, their rules" posts, which ignore the massive pressure from China while also ignoring the incredible generosity shown by the USA and other western powers toward Thailand. There was a time, during the sixties when the Thai government feared a communist insurgency, from Laos and Vietnam, and were quite happy to allow the USA to build bases on their soil.  None of this largesse matters in the least in 2019. The battle cry is "pay us off or get the hell OUT". The ever-present spectre of the Yankee dollar is darkening Thai skies.

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Whats funny is after all the so called riff-raff is cleaned out you rich guys and elite visa holders will have no one left to talk to but the Chinese and Indians...lol

That's OK -- even now all I prefer to talk to is young non-English speaking Thai females.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Whats funny is after all the so called riff-raff is cleaned out you rich guys and elite visa holders will have no one left to talk to but the Chinese and Indians...lol 

Per what I found for last post: There was 2,800,000 foreigners working and living in Thailand in 2007" while in retirement were all of 22,388.

Here's some more current numbers

https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/04/11/18/in-aging-thailand-developers-race-to-supply-locals-and-elderly-expats

"The number of foreigners over 50 who have applied for retirement visas to stay in Thailand almost doubled to nearly 73,000 in 2017 from fewer than 40,000 in 2013, according to immigration bureau data."

meanwhile

https://www.ucm.es/data/cont/docs/119-2018-04-10-Natthaya Sattayaphongphan.pdf

"2015 Number of migrant workers reached to more than 3,000,000 (6% of Thai population)"

I don't know what percent of that western but the same site says 1.8 million from other SEA countries if I'm reading their graphics right so maybe about 1 million western working expats?

By my highly inaccurate google data gathering, that's a ballpark 7% of the resident western expat community in retirement.  Fewer of them riff raff.

So at least 93% of the conversation you had yesterday should still be there tomorrow.

This site shows higher number of retirees. Answer from poster 

Visoot Phongsathorn, MBA Answered Oct 14 2018 

https://www.quora.com/How-many-foreigners-live-in-Thailand

"The IOM estimate around 4–5 million. The number of registered migrant workers is 2.2 million. About 100,000 live here on retirement visas."

9 hours ago, Corruption 101 said:

So when a senior member like Sheryl does not trust your advice. Why wouldn't their be fear, confusion and stress among us mere mortal members.

It s all down to the individual, some are born worriers, some go through life without a care in the world. Some deal with pre-planning and worse case scenarios, others drink a beer and put their feet up. I attended a meeting yesterday that moved me a little towards the latter. 

(And a recent post @BritManToo)

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I was a bit stressed when these changes appeared but after thinking about it I’m more relaxed now.

Plus, last night I had a dream about the lottery and went out searching for tickets ending in 800 and 400 !!

Keep this to yourself though, don’t want to split it too many ways !!

Just writing this post has changed my outcome from relaxed to quietly confident !! emoji51.png

I looked for 65 !

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It s all down to the individual, some are born worriers, some go through life without a care in the world. Some deal with pre-planning and worse case scenarios, others drink a beer and put their feet up. I attended a meeting yesterday that moved me a little towards the latter. 

(And a recent post @BritManToo)

Care to enlighten us as to what was said at the meeting?

2 hours ago, thaicurious said:

Per what I found for last post: There was 2,800,000 foreigners working and living in Thailand in 2007" while in retirement were all of 22,388.

Here's some more current numbers

https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/04/11/18/in-aging-thailand-developers-race-to-supply-locals-and-elderly-expats

"The number of foreigners over 50 who have applied for retirement visas to stay in Thailand almost doubled to nearly 73,000 in 2017 from fewer than 40,000 in 2013, according to immigration bureau data."

meanwhile

https://www.ucm.es/data/cont/docs/119-2018-04-10-Natthaya Sattayaphongphan.pdf

"2015 Number of migrant workers reached to more than 3,000,000 (6% of Thai population)"

I don't know what percent of that western but the same site says 1.8 million from other SEA countries if I'm reading their graphics right so maybe about 1 million western working expats?

By my highly inaccurate google data gathering, that's a ballpark 7% of the resident western expat community in retirement.  Fewer of them riff raff.

So at least 93% of the conversation you had yesterday should still be there tomorrow.

This site shows higher number of retirees. Answer from poster 

Visoot Phongsathorn, MBA Answered Oct 14 2018 

https://www.quora.com/How-many-foreigners-live-in-Thailand

"The IOM estimate around 4–5 million. The number of registered migrant workers is 2.2 million. About 100,000 live here on retirement visas."

All your in dept analysis is missing the most important issue.  The stress is arising out of the way this change (and the income affidavit one) was implemented. No formal dissemination of information and just 1 month notice in both instances.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not yet. PM sent.

BTW, if you ever get all those questions you mentioned before on combo applications without letters answered, please post everything you find out. We're still in the dark about details about those. 

He needs to go for a little sleep so that he can dream some answers up.

3 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Quite correct. THe Thais DON'T care,,,,and that's the problem. What REALLY makes my blood boil is all of the "their country, their rules" posts, which ignore the massive pressure from China while also ignoring the incredible generosity shown by the USA and other western powers toward Thailand. There was a time, during the sixties when the Thai government feared a communist insurgency, from Laos and Vietnam, and were quite happy to allow the USA to build bases on their soil.  None of this largesse matters in the least in 2019. The battle cry is "pay us off or get the hell OUT". The ever-present spectre of the Yankee dollar is darkening Thai skies.

I can see your blood is boiling, but please turn BOLD off.

• Haha 1

Just now, Spidey said:

Didn't that just contain a couple of bullet points from the meeting? Something a little more in depth would be appreciated.

To be honest little more to report other than stuff that has been bashed out here ad-infinitum. The guy forgot his notes! ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Orders. Not order.

Implementation/enforcement specifics for income method without embassy letters. Applicants are not told what they need to do to expect a successful application as they are a combination of bank and income the guidelines need to be very specific, yet we are basically told NOTHING

Not enough detail on the flexibility possibilities for full income method without embassy letters. Many examples. Such as if one monthly transfer is 64,999, is it game over?

Implementation/enforcement of the new seasoning rules for 800K. They say the rules. They say nothing of enforcement mechanics or the consequences

That's a start and I make no claims of covering everything. 

65,000 is 65,000 not 64,999. Same for 800/400k. 

if I'm reading their graphics right so maybe about 1 million western working expats?

Why do you assume they are western workers? There will be large number of Chinese, Japanese, and Indian workers also. They are not in SEA. 

Thailand is trying attract wealthy western retirees who can afford to buy an all inclusive retirement home for $150K USD, and have retirement income of $3,000 USD. I wonder why people with that kind of wealth and retirement income will come to Thailand to inhale smog filled air. May be it is still cheaper than Western countries? Of course, these people don't have to see an immigration office during their stay in Thailand as the agents employed by home care facilities will take care of these mundane affairs. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Care to enlighten us as to what was said at the meeting?

Oh, and he started off by expressing a lot of irritation at that post that set off all this discussion. This one I believe....

Perhaps because it also set his phone off and a Central American style caravan to his office! Seemed to feel it was fear-mongering.

Edited by jacko45k