BANGKOK 16 February 2019 20:01
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Drunk driver tries to dance his way out of an arrest

This is the moment a drunk driver tried to dance his way out of a DUI arrest.

Christopher Larson, 33, was confronted by a police deputy in Holiday, Florida who found him sleeping behind the wheel of his running truck with his foot on the brake.

Larson appears to bust out some fancy dance moves to evade arrest – but needless to say, the deputy was not impressed.

According to police, Larson was found to have had a .28 blood alcohol content (BAC), which is triple the legal limit in Florida, which is .08.

When the officer found Larson asleep behind the wheel, he knocked on the window and shouted for some time before he finally woke up, according to Fox 13.

At that time, Larson seemed disorientated and waved to the police officer, the arrest report says.

When Larson got out of his truck, he did not realize that it was still running and it began to roll forward. The officer was able to jump in just in time to stop it from hitting a gate it was idling in front of.

The deputy administered a field sobriety test and asked Larson to complete some simple tasks to demonstrate his motor control – but instead Larson busted a couple moves.

‘This gentleman started to not take it seriously. He started dancing and while some citizens may find that funny, we don’t at the sheriff’s office.

Full article and video

Always find it amusing that they still do those field sobriety tests rather than using a portable breathalizer.

• Like 1

I wonder if he also tries to Skip Bail!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Always find it amusing that they still do those field sobriety tests rather than using a portable breathalizer.

Maybe it's because police officers have to have establish probable cause to suspect a driver is DWI or DUI before they can require a driver to submit to a breath alcohol test. If probable cause is not legally established, any subsequent test results would be inadmissible in court. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:
3 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Maybe it's because police officers have to have establish probable cause to suspect a driver is DWI or DUI before they can require a driver to submit to a breath alcohol test. If probable cause is not legally established, any subsequent test results would be inadmissible in court. 

Id like to know the Exact reason why also, any US police officers out there.

The fellow looks drunk but I'd challenge others to try to move as he does while drunk.

Definitely not a good idea to dance  when police demand a  sobriety test.

14 hours ago, Mukdahanman said:

What’s this got to do with Thailand?

Somebody always asks this question 😜

Easy answer is that TVF likes to add in World News as well as local. This is a good thing.

53 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Somebody always asks this question 😜

Easy answer is that TVF likes to add in World News as well as local. This is a good thing.

Take your point Doc but respectfully disagree. I look at Thai visa for Thai related news only

Found this article which sounds like the officer is making sure he’s making a solid arrest....

The standard for stopping a motorist in, well in all the states (3) I worked in was,“reasonable articulable suspicion.” What they heck is that (?), well it is an officer being able to explain to the fact finder (judge) why the behavior of the motorist warranted investigation. The standard for requiring a breathalyzer test is “probable cause,” which is a set of facts that an officer can show to the fact finder that taken together, make it more likely than not that the suspect has committed a crime. Field sobriety tests bridge that gap.

I’ll start with a traffic stop. Maybe a vehicle drifts over the fog line (white line on right side of the lane) two or three times. I, as an officer, observe this and think perhaps the operator is intoxicated, so I make a traffic stop. I approach the driver and begin making observations that serve as building blocks to get me over the space between my suspicion and probable cause. Does the operator understand and comply with my instructions? Does the operator seem confused? Can the operator easily produce a driver’s license or does he/she have trouble getting it out of the wallet window?

Do I smell alcohol? Does the operator refuse to roll down the window more than an inch or so (That’s fine, most judges will say that is a good reason to order the operator out of thhe car)? Are the operators eyes watery? How about speech, are there unusual speech characteristics? If I feel that I have enough cause to take convince a judge that it was reasonable to take the further step of requiring field sobriety tests then I can ask the operator to perform the tests

On 2/8/2019 at 9:45 PM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

Larson appears to bust out some fancy dance moves to evade arrest – but needless to say, the deputy was not impressed.

What is not clear, however, is whether said fancy dance moves were abruptly cut short when he fell flat on his face.....