Chaengwattana affirmation to marry problem

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why didn't you get permanent residency?

I never had to worry about extending my visa before and honestly the thought never crossed my mind. 

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Why do you need an affirmation to marry if you are already married? Perhaps a translation problem?

This is the bit I don't understand either. You need to submit the translated affirmation in order to obtain kor lor 2 and marriage certificate. Apparently the affirmation is needed the first time you apply for an extension based on marriage. I guess most people get married and then do some kind of visa/extension the first year they get married so the affirmation is easy to get.

8 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

And If you see a man going ape shit in Chaengwattana on the news next week, you'll know they refused my visa.

The answer (as always), pay a VISA agent.

PS. I always kept photocopies of every document I ever had in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The answer (as always), pay a VISA agent.

PS. I always kept photocopies of every document I ever had in Thailand.

Yeah I was thinking about that last night. Can you recommend a good one? 

I never throw anything away so it must be here somewhere but I turned our apartment upside down last night and so far the affirmation remains hidden. I did find the affirmation receipt from uk embassy though. Great!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corruption 101 said:

Jesus Christ.  My last extension was a stack of A4 pages at least two inches thick.

What storage facility do you use and how much per month?

I think I am responsible for the loss of many forests due to the amount of paper I've used during visa preparation over the last 15 years.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Apparently the affirmation is needed the first time you apply for an extension based on marriage. I guess most people get married and then do some kind of visa/extension the first year they get married so the affirmation is easy to get.

That is a on and off again requirement at Chaeng Wattana immigration.

There have been a few other offices that decided they wanted one after a person was already on a extension.

Some Amphoes have gotten indignant about the request as well and asking why now. Some have written letters to immigration informing immigration that they did not have a copy of it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

(We were concerned about this when the list they gave us, mentions this in Thai but not is English.

Craig, did someone at CW Immigration give you a printed list of their current marriage extension requirements? If so, who? 

If you kept that paper, can you post a copy or photo of it here?

Thanks....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

18 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Yeah I was thinking about that last night. Can you recommend a good one? 

I never throw anything away so it must be here somewhere but I turned our apartment upside down last night and so far the affirmation remains hidden. I did find the affirmation receipt from uk embassy though. Great!

I would ask the lady wanting the affirmation copy for her recommendation. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Craig, did someone at CW Immigration give you a printed list of their current marriage extension requirements? If so, who?  Thanks....

We got a list from an L8 booth. That's where they sent us the first time and we also got the same list handed to us a different time from the L queue desk. Some requirements seem a little bit hidden.

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would ask the lady wanting the affirmation copy for her recommendation. 

She told us to get a copy of the blue book of our apartment owner and try again without affirmation. Maybe her boss will let it go, but she was not willing to ask him/her until we come back.

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you still have that list, can you post a copy or photo of it here?

Also, what do you mean about, "seem a little bit hidden"?

I am on an old iPad at the moment which is very slow, will try an upload a pic of both sides in a bit when I switch to my pc.

when I say hidden I mean things like...

there is no mention of the affirmation in English.

and from the form

6) Family picture of applicant with Thai wife and child/children.

which actually translates to this...

6) a picture of you and wife outside apartment building, outside front door where you can see apartment number, inside kitchen, living room and bedroom. All the other pictures I had with my family and wife's family were discarded.

• Thanks 1

I am on exactly the same situation as you Craig. Although I haven't started the process yet. But I'm willing to get out of Thailand first, get my non-o, come back and apply for extension before 90 days expired. But your post is helpful that I learned about another possible requirement for a first timer like us. I only have 1. Marriage Certificate and 2. Registration of Marriage.

I don't have and never heard about the third, "Affirmation to marry".

Can anybody kindly share how this document looks like?

Many Thanks

[mention=301867]CraigInBangkok[/mention], when you said you have 20 days left, did you mean after you got cancelled you non-immig IB visa extension (I assumen its IB) and work permit they give you 20 days to stay? In what I understand, they only give 7 days after they cancelled WP and visa extension.

I am considering (if possible) to change my non-immig ib extension and apply for 1 year extension based on marriage before I quit work then cancel work permit. Do you think that's possible?

I am on exactly the same situation as you Craig. Although I haven't started the process yet. But I'm willing to get out of Thailand first, get my non-o, come back and apply for extension before 90 days expired. But your post is helpful that I learned about another possible requirement for a first timer like us. I only have 1. Marriage Certificate and 2. Registration of Marriage.

Many Thanks

I'm quoting myself as I did some research. "Affirmation to marry" is the document we got from our embassies certifying we are not currently married in our home country. In my embassy, we call it certificate of legal capacity to register mariage (I know it's long [emoji4]). If that's the case, I still have a copy of this document. But the original and translated with stamp are submitted to amphur when we register our marriage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mpchamp said:

@CraigInBangkok, when you said you have 20 days left, did you mean after you got cancelled you non-immig IB visa extension (I assumen its IB) and work permit they give you 20 days to stay? In what I understand, they only give 7 days after they cancelles WP and visa extension.

I am considering (if possible) to change my non-immig ib extension and apply for 1 year extension based on marriage before I quit work then cancel work permit. Do you think that's possible?

Sent from my vivo 1609 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The 20 days extra is the date my company told boi I was leaving. I am not sure what my origianl visa class was but it was some kind of B. On the extension stamp it just says non-imm, but I guess your visa is tied to your company anyway.

My situation became a pain because i had to cancel my visa and work permit before starting the new process for extension. It may be because my visa extension and permit were done through BOI but I guess that it applies to all non-B's. My company gave me enough time to try and get this done. Pretty sure alot of companies wont do this though. 

I have been thinking about an agent to get this process done, but I resent paying all that money. I have been in a real relationship for 14 years and tried to do everything by their rules, so I think an agent asking for 15000bht is taking the piss.

1 minute ago, mpchamp said:

I'm quoting myself as I did some research. "Affirmation to marry" is the document we got from our embassies certifying we are not currently married in our home country. In my embassy, we call it certificate of legal capacity to register mariage (I know it's long emoji4.png). If that's the case, I still have a copy of this document. But the original and translated with stamp are submitted to amphur when we register our marriage.

yeah I cant find any copies of these, we dont think we have copies (we must have, we have copies of everything)  and our district office has thrown them away.

The 20 days extra is the date my company told boi I was leaving. I am not sure what my origianl visa class was but it was some kind of B. On the extension stamp it just says non-imm, but I guess your visa is tied to your company anyway.

My situation became a pain because i had to cancel my visa and work permit before starting the new process for extension. It may be because my visa extension and permit were done through BOI but I guess that it applies to all non-B's. My company gave me enough time to try and get this done. Pretty sure alot of companies wont do this though. 

I have been thinking about an agent to get this process done, but I resent paying all that money. I have been in a real relationship for 14 years and tried to do everything by their rules, so I think an agent asking for 15000bht is taking the piss.

I see. For sure we have same kind of visa. Consulates giving non-immig IB to companies under BOI. Non-B to normal local company. Yes, my wp and visa extension are tied together, thus, cancelling wp will also cancel the visa extension. You're lucky allowing you and give you leeway to arrange something first. I will not get the same treatment so I am okay to leave first and apply non-o. I'm happily married with 1 lovely daughter (2 months old). We can do this ourselves not relying to agents.

Sent from my vivo 1609 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

yeah I cant find any copies of these, we dont think we have copies (we must have, we have copies of everything)  and our district office has thrown them away.

This is an example how the Swiss Embassy does an "Affirmation to marry".

Hope it helps.

Marriage Application Hans Meier.jpg

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You could always go to Suvannakhet and get a multi-entry non-o, no financials, no affirmation.

I think this maybe the way to go if all fails at chaengwattana.

for TallGuyJohninBKK ...

here are pics of the list ... sorry they are not in pristine condition and a little blurry, but should be able to read. These are printed on one piece of paper.

EDIT :- the crossing out of lines was already printed. Not edited by me

list_english_side.jpg

list_thai_side.jpg

Edited by CraigInBangkok
extra info
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mpchamp said:

Many Thanks

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

After getting it stamped by the BE...

The MFA had to process it, before zooming round to Laksi in a taxi, to do the legal marriage before closing time..

Edited by johnwf1963

Immigration has no business asking an applicant for a marriage extension for the affirmation of freedom to marry. With such a request they are asking the applicant to prove that at the time he married he was not already married or otherwise legally prohibited from marrying. In other words, they want evidence that he was not then and is not now a bigamist.

Indirectly, immigration is also throwing suspicion on the district office that performed the marriage that they did so without being in possession of this affermation.

I am quite sure that if the Immigration Commissioner heard about this and knew the implications, he would not put up with it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Maestro said:

thanks for that Maestro! If any problem on Tuesday we will be contacting atleast one of the above if not all.