Where remove small cyst/bump from ingrown hair?

whitek

I've had a small cyst/bump on my leg from an ingrown hair for 5 years which I'd like to remove in Bangkok.

I'll be staying in the Khao San Road -area.

Where should I go to have it removed without being too expensive and time consuming?

Thank you both for your advice!

How does it generally work?

Should I somehow book online or do I simply show up at the hospital?

Will I need to wait for hours, or even get a time another date?

Ah, Mission Hospital seems fairly close to Khao San. Is it a public or private hospital, and can I be sure they even have a dermatologist?

I used their online booking page but today I got this response:

"Since this is your first time here we cannot put your name in our system, however you can walk-in and register and we will send you to the doctor after registration. We have a dermatologist in the afternoon from 2:00 - 4:00PM "

Oh well... I guess I'll just go there then.

Anyway, your answers have been really helpful. Thanks again! ????

I'd get the dermatologist to take a look at it first before you decide what it is.

I'd had a patch of what I thought was eczema under my eye.

I'd been self medicating, but my last steroid cream made everything super angry, went to get a real prescription.

Turned out it was Bowens disease, a mild form of skin cancer.

So be prepared for them to want to do a biopsy on the 'bump' but better safe than sorry.

I had all my stuff done at Bumrungrad

Oh on timing btw. 

So I saw the dermatologist on Friday afternoon, and she took the biopsy sample

Results were back on Tuesday

I had the plastic surgeon perform the removal of the underlying tissue on Friday of that week, all as an outpatient procedure

So it was all within a week

15 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Oh on timing btw. 

So I saw the dermatologist on Friday afternoon, and she took the biopsy sample

Results were back on Tuesday

I had the plastic surgeon perform the removal of the underlying tissue on Friday of that week, all as an outpatient procedure

So it was all within a week

Good to know. Thank you very much!

I'll be heading to Mission hospital today and we'll see how it goes.

8 hours ago, attrayant said:

If this is just a small cyst, why not have it removed at your local clinic?  For something like a lymph node, where they'd have to go through the muscle, I could see going to a hospital.  But a cyst?

Thing is, he know it's a cyst, he 'thinks' it a cyst.

I've been down that road, and old saying goes; 'assumption is the mother of all good f***k ups!"

So... went to Mission Hospital yesterday. When I registered I was told it would take 10-15 minutes, but all in all it took two hours of waiting and the 2 minute procedure. ????

The dermatologist said it would cost about 1 000 bath, but ended the bill said 2 400 ????

Equipment seemed to be from the 80's, but the little bump got removed and it looked good afterward, so yeah, I'm still happy I got it done

20 hours ago, attrayant said:

If this is just a small cyst, why not have it removed at your local clinic?  For something like a lymph node, where they'd have to go through the muscle, I could see going to a hospital.  But a cyst?

"Local clinic" = outpatient clinic in a hospital.

Most parts of Thailand (including Bangkok where he is) do not have many clinics as such, outpatient care is done in hospital outpatient clinics. For everything, even splinters, common colds etc (well actually a lot of people just go to pharmacies for the latter. But if they do so a doctor it will be in a hospital).

Going to a hospital does nto have the same connotation here that it does in some countries.  The overwhelming majority of patients in hospitals here each day are coming for simple, basic outpatient care and all hospitals have large outpatient clinics. 

It has advantages over the stand alone clinic model of care in that central lab, imaging etc can be readily accessed and shared by all the docs.

Archived