Virginia lieutenant governor denies second sexual assault allegation

rooster59

Virginia lieutenant governor denies second sexual assault allegation

By Katharine Jackson

800x800 (8).jpg

Justin Fairfax, the Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, drinks before opening the state's Senate meeting during a session of the General Assembly in Richmond, Virginia, U.S, February 8, 2019. REUTERS/Jay Paul

RICHMOND, Va. (Reuters) - Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax, who earlier this week was accused of a 2004 sexual assault that he has denied, on Friday faced a new allegation that he raped a fellow Duke University student in 2000, according to a law firm representing his accuser.

Fairfax, 39, who is first in line to succeed the state's embattled governor, Ralph Northam, a fellow Democrat under intense pressure to resign for his admitted racially offensive behaviour, denied the latest accusation as "demonstrably false."

In a statement from his spokesman, Faifax said he has "never forced myself on anyone ever" and demanded a "full investigation into these unsubstantiated and false allegations."

"I will clear my good name and I have nothing to hide," he wrote, branding the allegations as part of a "vicious and coordinated smear campaign ... being orchestrated against me." He concluded by declaring: "I will not resign."

The woman who made the new accusation, Meredith Watson, was "reluctantly coming forward out of a strong sense of civic duty and her belief that those seeking or serving in public office should be of the highest character," the law firm that is representing her said in a statement.

The firm, New Jersey-based Smith Mullin, said Watson was "not seeking any financial damages," and said her attorneys had notified Fairfax through his lawyers "that Ms. Watson hopes he will resign from public office."

The latest accusation deepened a political crisis in Virginia that began with the revelation last Friday that Northam's medical school yearbook page contained a racist photo, followed by admissions from Northam and the state's attorney general, Mark Herring, that each had darkened their faces to imitate black performers in separate incidents during the 1980s.

Should all three men be forced to resign, Democrats would lose the governorship to the state's Republican speaker of the House of Delegates, who is third in the line of succession, after Fairfax and Herring.

In its statement about Watson's accusation, Smith Mullin said the attack by Fairfax "was premeditated and aggressive," while also saying that Fairfax and Watson "were friends but never dated or had any romantic relationship."

The law firm also said Watson had "shared her account of the rape with friends in a series of emails and Facebook messages that are now in our possession."

Additionally, the firm said it has statements from former classmates corroborating that Watson had immediately told friends about the alleged rape.

In the uproar immediately following revelations last weekend about Northam's 1984 blackface appearance and a racist yearbook photo of two individuals - one in blackface and the other dressed in white robes of the Ku Klux Klan - calls for Northam's resignation quickly escalated.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-09

Just what is it with all these democrats and their sex crimes? At this rate Trump will walk the election because the dems will have nobody left to stand against him. Absolutely shameful behavior. Probably a bit late now, but I bet they are regretting their witch hunt against poor Kavanaugh seeing as they are now getting hoisted by their own petard. 

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Just what is it with all these democrats and their sex crimes? At this rate Trump will walk the election because the dems will have nobody left to stand against him. Absolutely shameful behavior. Probably a bit late now, but I bet they are regretting their witch hunt against poor Kavanaugh seeing as they are now getting hoisted by their own petard. 

Any and all who are accused of sexually assault others should be investigated, regardless of their political allegiances. 

Any cases proven should result in the harshest sentences possible. 

Those who believe their position gives them the right to, grope, sexually harass or abuse others in any way are scum. 

could it be that the outgoing racist Govnr's cronies, simply upped the ante? and re-focussed...

- the LtGovnr being a suitable target to further their old boss's quest of villifying according to Race?

and their reichious thinking that they are continuing to maintain whatever the ex Govnr was aiming for!

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Any and all who are accused of sexually assault others should be investigated, regardless of their political allegiances. 

Any cases proven should result in the harshest sentences possible. 

Those who believe their position gives them the right to, grope, sexually harass or abuse others in any way are scum

The Democrats used a technique against Kavanaugh that can be attributed to Joseph Goebbels, Hitlers Minister of Propaganda.  Tell a lie, make it a  big one and tell it often enough and people will believe it to be true. The media has known and practiced it for years that they can make blasphemous statements and if they are proven false the retraction receives very little notice and is not featured predominately but is buried.  With the Lt. Governor, I don't know if he is guilty or not.  However, unlike Kavanaugh I would hope that they investigate the charges fully and have corroborating evidence before labeling him as a sexual predator.  I am a staunch conservative but believe the law should apply equally to all.  Charges and accusations should never be leveled ruining a persons reputation before the authorities have a chance to investigate and determine if the accusations have some basis.  If they do, he should face the consequences.  It is wrong of someone to sully another persons reputation merely because you disagree with them. 

15 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The Democrats used a technique against Kavanaugh that can be attributed to Joseph Goebbels, Hitlers Minister of Propaganda.  Tell a lie, make it a  big one and tell it often enough and people will believe it to be true. The media has known and practiced it for years that they can make blasphemous statements and if they are proven false the retraction receives very little notice and is not featured predominately but is buried.  With the Lt. Governor, I don't know if he is guilty or not.  However, unlike Kavanaugh I would hope that they investigate the charges fully and have corroborating evidence before labeling him as a sexual predator.  I am a staunch conservative but believe the law should apply equally to all.  Charges and accusations should never be leveled ruining a persons reputation before the authorities have a chance to investigate and determine if the accusations have some basis.  If they do, he should face the consequences.  It is wrong of someone to sully another persons reputation merely because you disagree with them. 

If sexual allegations are made they must be investigated. 

If multiple complaints are made against the same individual, more so. 

Groping, unwanted touching, inappropriate sexualised language and any type of assault are utterly unacceptable and the scum involved in such behaviours should be punished harshly. 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

If sexual allegations are made they must be investigated. 

If multiple complaints are made against the same individual, more so. 

Groping, unwanted touching, inappropriate sexualised language and any type of assault are utterly unacceptable and the scum involved in such behaviours should be punished harshly. 

And if the complaints are found to be false then the complainer should receive the same or harsher penalty as the accused would have received if he/she had been found guilty.

Many peoples lives have been destroyed by false accusations.

7 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

And if the complaints are found to be false then the complainer should receive the same or harsher penalty as the accused would have received if he/she had been found guilty.

And many, many more by sexual assaults and then by not being believed.

And the chances of not being believed because their abuser was more powerful, famous or wealthy, until recently, was almost a certainty.

13 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I feel I do take your side of this debate. As such bluffing practices can be abused and there can be continual conspiring through this same method.

I think everyday people wouldn't do such things but wealthier people and those that could play in court are more willing to try  such things as false accusations.

Archived