Going to phuket for 1- 1 1/2 months during burning season

watgate

I am   considering going to phuket nest year for 1- 1 1/2 months next year to escape the foul air in chiang mai. Myself and my g/f  have never been to phuket thus my posting. Although I understand phuket is expensive I was wondering of their are any reasonably priced accommodations one co uld book for a 1- 1 1/2 month stay? Also, since I am primarily a vegetarian I was wondering if their are any vegetarian restaurants there and how expensive are they? If we did decide to go to phuket what is the best way to go there? My guess is to fly from chiang mai. I also understand the transfers can be considerable for various reasons so are their any secrets to obtaining reasonably priced transportation from the airport to your accommodations? Where would be a good place to rent a motorbike for our stay? Thanks for any info concerning the viability of renting a place in Phuket.

I don't mean to be rude, but your going to be disappointed in Phuket if money is an issues to you.  Everything is much more expensive there than Chiang Mai.

Why are you waiting till NEXT year?  The bad air will be here soon THIS year.

If you have never been there before I suggest you fly down for a week first so you get an idea of the place.

For you questions.... You can rent a motor bike easily there.. many shops doing it.. but they cost about 150 - 200 baht per day.  They always insist you leave them your passport though, which I don't like to do.

Cheap places to stay for 1 plus month... not every seen 'cheap' habitable places to stay there.

Vegetarian Restaurants... lol.... This is my gripe with the place.  All the food is so overprices and poor quality compared to Chiang Mai.  We go there every year and still not found nice food at normal price.  We go with a vegetarian friend and we have not found any vegetarian places either (one a couple of scruffy dirty small shop stalls outside Patong which take time to travel too (and they are not that good).  

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I don't mean to be rude, but your going to be disappointed in Phuket if money is an issues to you.  Everything is much more expensive there than Chiang Mai.

If you have never been there before I suggest you fly down for a week first so you get an idea of the place.

For you questions.... You can rent a motor bike easily there.. many shops doing it.. but they cost about 150 - 200 baht per day.  They always insist you leave them your passport though, which I don't like to do.

Cheap places to stay for 1 plus month... not every seen 'cheap' habitable places to stay there.

Vegetarian Restaurants... lol.... This is my gripe with the place.  All the food is so overprices and poor quality compared to Chiang Mai.  We go there every year and still not found nice food at normal price.  We go with a vegetarian friend and we have not found any vegetarian places either (one a couple of scruffy dirty small shop stalls outside Patong which take time to travel too (and they are not that good).  

Again a poster who seems to be confused between Phuket and Patong.

Overpriced food, poor quality food, no vegetarian places, I'm sorry, what's the point of posting if you really have no idea.

Hi Watgat, I find your questions to be a little pointless. Flights, hotels, restaurants will all have changed in 18 months, as may your personal circumstances and your ability to stay in Thailand.

However for flights, try Skyscanner or Google Flights. For hotels try hotels or booking.com.

For vegetarian restaurants, Google 'Vegetarian Restaurants in Phuket'

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Oh dear- take a pick:

1- I HATE PHUKET

2- Phuket BAAAAAAAD

3- Never been there but a mate..................

4- I was there in .....................................

5. The best  7-11 to hang out in is ................................................

6. if you go to this place you can save 10 baht..............................

People only need to stick in a number these days!

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

All the food is so overprices and poor quality compared to Chiang Mai.  We go there every year and still not found nice food at normal price.  We go with a vegetarian friend and we have not found any vegetarian places either (one a couple of scruffy dirty small shop stalls outside Patong which take time to travel too (and they are not that good).  

Lol you need to expand your horizons and live a little. Phuket is much more than Patong! In fact if you took the courage to step outside the tourist zones you would find food just as cheap as Chang Mai and done authentically. Then again hard to experience this when you make no effort.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Overpriced food, poor quality food, no vegetarian places, I'm sorry, what's the point of posting if you really have no idea.

Hi.  I have some idea, thank you, and a condo in Rawai beach... NOT Patong.    However, I also like Patong if I am in the right mood.   The food is generally more expensive in Phuket than CM in the normal Thai places and even on the street stalls, and I find the food less delicious (I do like the taste of the northern foods).  

Are you in Phuket?  Have you spent any time in Chiang Mai and eaten food here?  Are you vegetarian and sampled the vegetarian places here in CM and Phuket?  

4 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Oh dear- take a pick:

1- I HATE PHUKET

2- Phuket BAAAAAAAD

3- Never been there but a mate..................

4- I was there in .....................................

5. The best  7-11 to hang out in is ................................................

6. if you go to this place you can save 10 baht..............................

People only need to stick in a number these days!

I love Phuket!!!  I live there several months of the year.  Have many friends there too.  Beautiful place.  I live the rest of the Year Chiang Mai.  Have had a condo in Phuket for 11 years already and been there every year.

The OP was asking if it was CHEAPER there... and if there were many VEGETARIAN restaurants to go to eat.  You think there is a bigger choice of vegetarian restaurants in Phuket than Chiang Mai... and on average they are no more expensive?

3 hours ago, I am More Thai Than You said:

Lol you need to expand your horizons and live a little. Phuket is much more than Patong! In fact if you took the courage to step outside the tourist zones you would find food just as cheap as Chang Mai and done authentically. Then again hard to experience this when you make no effort.

I never mentioned Patong in my post.. why is everyone saying I am talking about Patong?  I live out in the sticks in CM in a rural village surrounded by rice fields and very rarely run into another farnag.. I stay well away from the tourists zones in general.   In Phuket we have a condo in Rawai Beach, and we have friends over the island.. so we travel about there a lot.  

Look, there are very nice restaurants there, but, in my experience they are on average more pricy then here in Chiang Mai.

I am sorry to have offended all you Phuket people (who seem to have a Patong phobia) , but I was only answering OPs questions, which, I note none of you who have quoted my post have bothered to do.  

Do you really think Phuket has as large a selection of vegetarian eating places as CM?  Do you really think, on average, that the food is cheaper in Phuket than CM?  

22 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Hi.  I have some idea, thank you, and a condo in Rawai beach... NOT Patong.    However, I also like Patong if I am in the right mood.   The food is generally more expensive in Phuket than CM in the normal Thai places and even on the street stalls, and I find the food less delicious (I do like the taste of the northern foods).  

Are you in Phuket?  Have you spent any time in Chiang Mai and eaten food here?  Are you vegetarian and sampled the vegetarian places here in CM and Phuket? 

<snip>

Yes, it is a bit more expensive, however " Everything is much more expensive there than Chiang Mai " is simply not true.

"I find the food less delicious (I do like the taste of the northern foods).  " is a lot different from "All the food is so overprices and poor quality compared to Chiang Mai.  We go there every year and still not found nice food at normal price."

"We go with a vegetarian friend and we have not found any vegetarian places either (one a couple of scruffy dirty small shop stalls outside Patong which take time to travel too (and they are not that good)." Since you live here part of the year this makes simply no sense. Many vegetarian places here, and many good ones as well.

And to answer your questions: Yes, I live on Phuket, yes, I know Chiang Mai, yes, I have tried vegetarian places in both (I am not a vegetarian but do eat vegetarian on occasion), and I really way, way prefer the southern Thai food. A good Massaman or Penang curry can not be beaten by anything you have up North IMO.

No, I don't think that on average the food is cheaper here, but there is a big difference between your first claim "All the food is so overprices and poor quality compared to Chiang Mai." and your question now "Do you really think, on average, that the food is cheaper in Phuket than CM?".'

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, it is a bit more expensive, however " Everything is much more expensive there than Chiang Mai " is simply not true.

"I find the food less delicious (I do like the taste of the northern foods).  " is a lot different from " All the food is so overprices and poor quality compared to Chiang Mai.  We go there every year and still not found nice food at normal price. "

" We go with a vegetarian friend and we have not found any vegetarian places either (one a couple of scruffy dirty small shop stalls outside Patong which take time to travel too (and they are not that good)." Since you live here part of the year this makes simply no sense. Many vegetarian places here, and many good ones as well.

And to answer your questions: Yes, I live on Phuket, yes, I know Chiang Mai, yes, I have tried vegetarian places in both (I am not a vegetarian but do eat vegetarian on occasion), and I really way, way prefer the southern Thai food. A good Massaman or Penang curry can not be beaten by anything you have up North IMO.

No, I don't think that on average the food is cheaper here, but there is a big difference between your first claim "All the food is so overprices and poor quality compared to Chiang Mai." and your question now "Do you really think, on average, that the food is cheaper in Phuket than CM?".'

Fake news there is no burning season in Thailand because it is illegal :tongue:

29 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I love Phuket!!!  I live there several months of the year.  Have many friends there too.  Beautiful place.  I live the rest of the Year Chiang Mai.  Have had a condo in Phuket for 11 years already and been there every year.

The OP was asking if it was CHEAPER there... and if there were many VEGETARIAN restaurants to go to eat.  You think there is a bigger choice of vegetarian restaurants in Phuket than Chiang Mai... and on average they are no more expensive?

I never mentioned Patong in my post.. why is everyone saying I am talking about Patong?  I live out in the sticks in CM in a rural village surrounded by rice fields and very rarely run into another farnag.. I stay well away from the tourists zones in general.   In Phuket we have a condo in Rawai Beach, and we have friends over the island.. so we travel about there a lot.  

Look, there are very nice restaurants there, but, in my experience they are on average more pricy then here in Chiang Mai.

I am sorry to have offended all you Phuket people (who seem to have a Patong phobia) , but I was only answering OPs questions, which, I note none of you who have quoted my post have bothered to do.  

Do you really think Phuket has as large a selection of vegetarian eating places as CM?  Do you really think, on average, that the food is cheaper in Phuket than CM?  

OK, I'll start.

You did mention Patong, read your own words again!

The OP wasn't asking if it's cheaper here, and no one said it was, but you seem to want to start a debate about it anyway. In your initial post you stated EVERYTHING is much more expensive than CM. Stretching a long bow there - prove it!

For a would be vegi who spends so much time here (you felt the need to tell us 3 times that you own a condo in Rawai) and yet you can't find a vegetarian restaurant!!!  But you were able to dismiss all restaurants and their food as scruffy, dirty, overpriced and low quality.

edit:

StevenL replied before me and more succinctly. 

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, to clarify for the OP, Patong IS on the island of Phuket, and IS in Phuket Province.

Patong IS NOT in a different province.

I hope this clears this up.  ????

6 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

phuket is a little bit more than CM but if ur living here, you really dont notice it at all

As someone who lived in both.. I can say thats wildly inaccurate.. 

Partly due to lifestyle, but it was literally 3x or more expensive for me.. Not that I moved away due to the cost, but that tourist hustle and treatment as an outsider got me in the end. 

40 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Good post.

As a visa runner, I also travel a lot, thus, I am able to make direct comparisons between Phuket (yes, that's the whole island, not just Patong) and other parts of Thailand, and other cities in South East Asia.

Sometimes, I really do question when is the last time some members of the Phuket TV Forum actually even left the Phuket Province. 

The direct flights with AirAsia are cheap enough to come down for a quick visit, have a look around, and decide if you could, or would like to, stay 6 weeks here, in the future.  

Either way, please post your observations and opinions, after your visit and/or stay here. 

28 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

As someone who lived in both.. I can say thats wildly inaccurate.. 

Partly due to lifestyle, but it was literally 3x or more expensive for me.. Not that I moved away due to the cost, but that tourist hustle and treatment as an outsider got me in the end. 

everyone has their own opinion.

Living in kamala is not like living in touristy patong, kata or karon

75% of those living here,were born here

Sometimes, I really do question when is the last time some members of the Phuket TV Forum actually even left the Phuket Province. 

for 2 months every year as i do a LONG road trip thru the north and usually take in Laos and Cambodia as well. Last july/august trip was 8,200 kms

I think i know the prices in the country and most cities

4 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

"Living in kamala is not like living in touristy patong, kata or karon" - ok, but is it like living in Chiang Mai? 

I think this is the comparison the OP is looking for, particularly in relation to the cost of living.  

1 minute ago, phuketrichard said:

I live in a really nice 3 bed home.. on a rai of gardens with fruit frees.. with a pool.. 2 car carport.. multi motorbike parking.. garden outbuildings for my bikes and hobbys.. for 11k a month and the landlord cleans and chemicals the pool. I couldnt find this for 30 or 40 on Phuket. 

Our favourite local boat noodles.. Better than any I have ever had in a tourist are starts at 15b a bowl.. or a western cafe where a breakfast menu eggs / omelette / etc and bacon / sausage / mixture of sides are all 89b with a orange juice and proper machine / americano coffee.. Usual Thai food is 25 - 40b.. My last trip to Phuket and samui it was 80 - to even 120 for the same dishes (cooked worse). 

I can go drink in town where they do 3 large leos and a bucket of ice for 180b (sometimes 159 !!). for 3.. 

I can rent a 125 scooter for 2200 a month.. 

While I am sure many 7/11 type things are standard pricing.. I know what I pay here and its WAY less than what I used to pay.. 

I really dont need to make this a us v them.. Your beaches are better than chiang mais ???? and I didnt come here to save money, I came for the friendlier locals.. but its bordering in silly to say the costs are the same. 

I live in a really nice 3 bed home.. on a rai of gardens with fruit frees.. with a pool.. 2 car carport.. multi motorbike parking.. garden outbuildings for my bikes and hobbys.. for 11k a month and the landlord cleans and chemicals the pool. I couldnt find this for 30 or 40 on Phuket.  

Now that does sound great> how far out of the city?

This is one of the reasons why I love posting on thai visa because you will always get the unabridged  in your face take it or leave it answer with no punches pulled. No way am I locked and loaded about going to Phuket. I am interested because the air seems to always be good there and I am sick of breathing air filled with countless songtaews and tok-tuks spewing their exhaust. Also when the burning starts going full-time it is time to get out of dodge (chiang mai). I have already escaped chiang mai this season for the first time in the 9 years I have been coming to Thailand but want to find another viable place in case I want to go somewhere else to escape the foul air during the burning season next year. I understand Hua Hin is supposed to be good and am open to suggestions as to where to go for a month or a month and 1/2. I am really not  familiar at all with southern Thailand and most of my time has been spent in chiang mai. As I stated in my inital posting the high cost of living in phuket concerns me and was wondering if anyone had any viable recommendations for finding reasonably priced accommodations and some decent vegetarian places to eat. Of course, you have to do your homework for airfares but I was also wondering about transportation from the airport to where you will be residing. Thanks for any info or suggestions.

10 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Now that does sound great> how far out of the city?

25 minutes from niman by bike (if traffic lights co-operate ;)) I think its 16kms.. I choose to live out of town, its birdsong and crickets at night roosters in the morning. I used to live closer in but value the peace now. One of the things I like is the way the satellite villages around the city have a selection of great and cheap cafes and western food as well. 

If you know CNX I am a few 100m from the grand canyon water park. 

56 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

for 2 months every year as i do a LONG road trip thru the north and usually take in Laos and Cambodia as well. Last july/august trip was 8,200 kms

I think i know the prices in the country and most cities

I think the OP would be after a comparison of the cost of living in Kamala, for example, not a town on your road trip.  

23 minutes ago, watgate said:

This is one of the reasons why I love posting on thai visa because you will always get the unabridged  in your face take it or leave it answer with no punches pulled. No way am I locked and loaded about going to Phuket. I am interested because the air seems to always be good there and I am sick of breathing air filled with countless songtaews and tok-tuks spewing their exhaust. Also when the burning starts going full-time it is time to get out of dodge (chiang mai). I have already escaped chiang mai this season for the first time in the 9 years I have been coming to Thailand but want to find another viable place in case I want to go somewhere else to escape the foul air during the burning season next year. I understand Hua Hin is supposed to be good and am open to suggestions as to where to go for a month or a month and 1/2. I am really not  familiar at all with southern Thailand and most of my time has been spent in chiang mai. As I stated in my inital posting the high cost of living in phuket concerns me and was wondering if anyone had any viable recommendations for finding reasonably priced accommodations and some decent vegetarian places to eat. Of course, you have to do your homework for airfares but I was also wondering about transportation from the airport to where you will be residing. Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Does it have to be somewhere in Thailand????

Archived