How To Cool An Old Style House?

akirasan

5 hours ago, Ahab said:

Heat rises from the hot attic, the passive whirlybirds do not need wind to operate.

Not exactly, yes in theory thats what they are supposed to do, but in reality hot air will not make those heavy tops rotate.

I have seen a few, big ones and i watch them, thry will take about a minute to make one revolution.

You think ok is that the best unpowered ones work at.

12 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Not exactly, yes in theory thats what they are supposed to do, but in reality hot air will not make those heavy tops rotate.

I have seen a few, big ones and i watch them, thry will take about a minute to make one revolution.

You think ok is that the best unpowered ones work at.

I have two solar powered attic fans that I bought in a shop in Buriram, so they are available in Thailand. The whirlybirds do work just from the heat rising, and it will absolutely take the heat out of an attic space.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:07 PM, Lacessit said:

Tiles absorb heat more slowly. However, they also shed the heat more slowly. Swings and roundabouts. Although admittedly a tile roof is a lot less noisy than a tin roof when it rains.

The other consideration is mass. Tile roofs are a lot heavier than than tin roofs, so the OP would have to be confident the existing structure could take the extra load.

I agree creating a pitched roof with soffit ventilators and ceiling insulation will give more temperature control.

I opted for a metal BlueScope metal roof with the radiant barrier insulation attached to the underside. You put your hand next to it during the hottest part of the day and you do not feel heat coming through it. I seems that many Europeans are attached to tile roofs, but in my opinion they are not the optimum choice for keeping a house cool in a tropical areas such as Thailand. The metal roof with the thin foam/foil insulation attached is not very load in a rain and the cooling characteristics make it the best choice in my experience.

we made a pitched high roof of tiles like temple from terracotta tiles did low high low to let draft through.

we had single wood walls but only did insulation in bedroom them panneled with ready made fit pannel teak easy standard to make 

tip before doing all this check electrical cabeling replace where needed as u can put behind paneling

we have wood shutter windows little glass so near shut day open skew evenings bedroom closed and inverter airco mitsabutshi works well

the ceilings are single teak panels with the roof above heat goes quick 

insulation is fire proof .

we changed from tin also .trees are ok but keep 2 meters cut back from house for rodents and snakes 

when instaling insulation a deterrent is a few sacks of moth balls inside rodents dont like this 

Archived