Brothers, cousin drown in Suphan Buri

rooster59

Brothers, cousin drown in Suphan Buri

By The Nation

Two brothers and their cousin were drowned while swimming in a village pond in Suphan Buri's Doem Bang Nang Buat district on Friday night.

Doem Bang Nang Buat police were alerted to the incident at the Moo 3 village in Tambon Thung Klee at 5.30pm.

Scuba divers took about half-an-hour to comb the bed of the 10 x 20-metre pond and retrieve the bodies.

The three boys were identified as Pichai Srichai, 7, Thanapat Sitthichai, 6, and Passakorn Sitthichai, 6.

They lived in the same house in the village.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30363815

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-09

3 children drowned, at the same time??? Just dreadful.

I noticed that thais teach "freestyle" first, while breaststrokes seems to be like step 3 after backstrokes. In case of an incident at sea or in a lake, i would think that breaststrokes is better, since it's easier to keep your head high above the surface. Quite different from the circumstances in a pool, where the water is calm.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Seems likely that one boy got into difficulties & the other two tried to help and all perished.

I have to ask the question... 3 boys ages 7 & 6

WHERE WERE THE ADULTS WHEN THEY WERE IN THE POND ?

Even though my seven year old son can now swim, we would never leave him to swim alone. His 3 year old brother wears a buoyancy swimsuit, which at 1400 baht is probably out of villager’s budgets, but even more reason to closely supervise any children near water.

It is dreadful that there was no adult supervision. If you make children make sure you take care and supervise them until they reach that age of understanding what is dangerous or not. Parents are to blame here. Would you let a six or seven year old to swim in a pond alone? Blind me!

Tragic and all too common, according to the WHO, drowning is the leading cause of death for children 1-15 in Thailand!  The Chiang Mai International Rotary Club has developed a Children's Water Safety and Drowning Prevention Program and we have taught survival swimming using the Royal Life Saving Society Australian Curriculum to over 1,000 children in Chiang Mai. We have expanded the program to Phuket, Phrao, and Lampang.  Next comes Phetchabun and Sakon Nakhon.  Personal message me, if you'd like to learn how you can help. 

14 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

3 children drowned, at the same time??? Just dreadful.

I noticed that thais teach "freestyle" first, while breaststrokes seems to be like step 3 after backstrokes. In case of an incident at sea or in a lake, i would think that breaststrokes is better, since it's easier to keep your head high above the surface. Quite different from the circumstances in a pool, where the water is calm.

I'd rather they first teach them to tread water and not to panic.  Drown proof them, and then teach them how to get around in the water. 

Once you know you're not going to drown, even a dog paddle will get you to the shore in still water.  Panic, and it doesn't matter how good your form.

5 hours ago, jschorr said:

Tragic and all too common, according to the WHO, drowning is the leading cause of death for children 1-15 in Thailand!  The Chiang Mai International Rotary Club has developed a Children's Water Safety and Drowning Prevention Program and we have taught survival swimming using the Royal Life Saving Society Australian Curriculum to over 1,000 children in Chiang Mai. We have expanded the program to Phuket, Phrao, and Lampang.  Next comes Phetchabun and Sakon Nakhon.  Personal message me, if you'd like to learn how you can help. 

How do they drown exactly? Strong currents in rivers, cramping? Just curious. I don't remember children drowning when I was kid except for the odd diving into shallow water accidents.

9 hours ago, jschorr said:

You are unsung heroes in my eyes but you are doing what the authorities should be doing , however that is another matter . I will p/m you to see if the idea can be brought to my town . Great work and keep it up .

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:50 AM, genericptr said:

How do they drown exactly? Strong currents in rivers, cramping? Just curious. I don't remember children drowning when I was kid except for the odd diving into shallow water accidents.

The basic problem is that only about 25% of the people here in Thailand have learned how to swim.  Even kids living on islands often do not know how to swim.  Ask the Thais you know, if they can swim, I think you will be surprised how many answer no.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:39 AM, superal said:

You are unsung heroes in my eyes but you are doing what the authorities should be doing , however that is another matter . I will p/m you to see if the idea can be brought to my town . Great work and keep it up .

The Thai Ministry of Public Health Non-Communicable Diseases Section is working on this problem with a Merit Maker Drown No More Program, but they have trouble getting the funding they need to make it a truly national program. Swim instruction should be taking place in the elementary schools, we need to get the Ministry of Education involved.  We teach 4th-graders, like to start earlier, but little kids require a great deal more supervision in the water, and the costs would skyrocket. We are trying!

Archived