Taco Bell

mogandave

1 minute ago, pr9spk said:

That cannot be true. Maybe you mean people who have never been to sizzler before might be expecting a good steak?

In all fairness, it might take several trips to have one's expectation completely crushed. Still, for the money the salad bar is nice....

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got news to report. Looks like Taco Thailand is moving quickly... Today, I saw evidence that they're soon going to be opening another presumably bean-less, beef-less branch on the ground floor inside Siam Paragon...

But if you look very closely at the burrito depicted on the wall board, it kinda looks like they're showing beans as the bottom level.... but hard to tell....

20190212_135123.jpg.62e06bed213b88f6f67ad2f46f75d232.jpg

20190212_135216.thumb.jpg.6c7fae0131af9348ac64506753bbb7cc.jpg

I've met quite a lot of Thais who like beef, but they say feel guilty after eating it so don't do it. I thought it was the Indians who thought that cows were sacred. Where I live in Isaan I am 100% sure that every single villager would choose rat or frog meat over a medium rare filet mignon (and they'd eat the rat/frog in a stone cold, insipid-looking grey soup).

2 hours ago, pr9spk said:

I've met quite a lot of Thais who like beef, but they say feel guilty after eating it so don't do it. I thought it was the Indians who thought that cows were sacred. Where I live in Isaan I am 100% sure that every single villager would choose rat or frog meat over a medium rare filet mignon (and they'd eat the rat/frog in a stone cold, insipid-looking grey soup).

must be  franco-indochine  influence on the frogs  ????

I've never heard and explanation for the pork-in-everything gastronomy of the Thai  ,  supposed it would be economic ,  can't afford to graize cattle in a tropical rice country ...

"Skeptical of this convenient filling in of the blank, scholars have pointed out that Pali uses a different word for “pork,” sukara-mamsa; they believe that sukara-maddava should be translated “pig food,” not “pig meat,” and that it most likely refers to truffles, a porcine delicacy. (Maddava has a secondary meaning of “something soft or delicate.”) They are convinced that the Buddha died from eating a poisonous mushroom, not tainted pork"

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Got news to report. Looks like Taco Thailand is moving quickly... Today, I saw evidence that they're soon going to be opening another presumably bean-less, beef-less branch on the ground floor inside Siam Paragon...

But if you look very closely at the burrito depicted on the wall board, it kinda looks like they're showing beans as the bottom level.... but hard to tell....

20190212_135123.jpg.62e06bed213b88f6f67ad2f46f75d232.jpg

20190212_135216.thumb.jpg.6c7fae0131af9348ac64506753bbb7cc.jpg

Well lets hope those are just the chunky bits of Refried beans....

If they are not making Beef and Bean priority number one then I guess there is not much hope for them......

That was the worst social media massacre I have ever seen a company receive on the internet......    

On 2/12/2019 at 12:55 AM, Yellowtail said:

I think Thais don't eat beef becaue the beef in Thailand is crap. No shortage of Thais in McD's and Sizzler...

Beef in Thailand is like wine in Thailand. Thais simply do not have the knowledge and experience to grow both and process both successfully.

Beef is used quite a lot in Vietnamese cuisine; however, it's not as if it's filet mignon class.

59 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I just dont get the no bean thing.....Beans are the cheapest ingredient in Mexican food....A whole lot cheaper than chicken, pork, sour cream, avocados etc.... 

Its not rocket science cheaper food ingredients = higher profits

They believe their most important  market is the Thai middle class, not foreigners or Thais who have lived and travelled abroad.  And they think those middle class Thais who have never eaten a bean that wasn't sweetened in a dessert would be grossed out by refried beans.  

I guess that's it anyway. I ran into an American Taco Bell marketing person here and talked about it with her but it was a bit hard to penetrate the corporate line.  I was trying to get her to tell me about the entirety of the decision making process, just to satisfy my curiosity.  

The Thais do eat kidney beans in their salads nowadays.  

They believe their most important  market is the Thai middle class, not foreigners or Thais who have lived and travelled abroad.  And they think those middle class Thais who have never eaten a bean that wasn't sweetened in a dessert would be grossed out by refried beans.  

I guess that's it anyway. I ran into an American Taco Bell marketing person here and talked about it with her but it was a bit hard to penetrate the corporate line.  I was trying to get her to tell me about the entirety of the decision making process, just to satisfy my curiosity.  

The Thais do eat kidney beans in their salads nowadays.  

Is 90% of the Bangkok population not the market to focus on?

My wife and boy liked it and we visit the US every year.

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Is 90% of the Bangkok population not the market to focus on?

My wife and boy liked it and we visit the US every year.

Well if you read The Taco Bell Facebook page the 10% of Thais who have had real Taco Bell food also seem to feel very cheated....So that just goes to show Thais can and do like Beef and Refried Beans very much if given a chance...

Ok make the menu 70-80% chicken and Pork...Fair enough..But at least serve 20-30% Refried Beans and Beef...

If not Taco Bell should be prepared for the continuing nasty social and news media backlash that will not be stopping EVER...... Bye Bye $$$$........

Well if you read The Taco Bell Facebook page the 10% of Thais who have had real Taco Bell food also seem to feel very cheated....So that just goes to show Thais can and do like Beef and Refried Beans very much if given a chance...
Ok make the menu 70-80% chicken and Pork...Fair enough..But at least serve 20-30% Refried Beans and Beef...

If not Taco Bell should be prepared for the continuing nasty social and news media backlash that will not be stopping EVER...... Bye Bye $$$$........

10% of Thais have had “real” Taco Bell food? Hilarious.

To be clear, I agree wholeheartedly that they should have beef and beans, I’m amazed they don’t.

I imagine they are trying to minimize import costs.

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

10% of Thais have had “real” Taco Bell food? Hilarious.

To be clear, I agree wholeheartedly that they should have beef and beans, I’m amazed they don’t.

I imagine they are trying to minimize import costs.

Come on.....I did not mean 10% literally....of course that would be ridiculous....

On 2/9/2019 at 3:16 PM, mogandave said:

Crappy Mexican fast-food.

OK

Thanks anyway.     Maybe another poster can be a little more enlightening.     I did  address your post when you said "if you liked it in the US you’ll like it better here, although they do not seem to offer beef."

Anyone else able to make a comparison?    I liked Taco Bell in the US so I wonder why I'm likely to like it more here.

Come on.....I did not mean 10% literally....of course that would be ridiculous....

What did you mean, that 10% of the Thais claiming to have eaten Taco Bell in the US were disappointed that beef and beans were not on the menu?

Again, not a fan of Taco Bell but the place was packed and people were lined up waiting to get in, so whatever social media was doing, it does not seem to be hurting sales...

Incidentally, it was right across the aisle from a big scudrucks that was almost empty...

14 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What did you mean, that 10% of the Thais claiming to have eaten Taco Bell in the US were disappointed that beef and beans were not on the menu?

Again, not a fan of Taco Bell but the place was packed and people were lined up waiting to get in, so whatever social media was doing, it does not seem to be hurting sales...

Incidentally, it was right across the aisle from a big scudrucks that was almost empty...

Give it time the newness will wear off and the lines will go down...Way down....

22 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Doesn't matter.  I told them I wanted my Whopper extra hot.  They said it was hot enough already.

Quit your bitchin'. You can at least have one for gods sake, hot or not. A tepid Whopper is better than no whopper at all.

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yum! Alley Trifecta: KFC, TB, BK. Taco Bell taking over the Mos Burger spot.

OK

Thanks anyway.     Maybe another poster can be a little more enlightening.     I did  address your post when you said "if you liked it in the US you’ll like it better here, although they do not seem to offer beef."

Anyone else able to make a comparison?    I liked Taco Bell in the US so I wonder why I'm likely to like it more here.

Sorry, didn’t mean to be an a-hole.

It was meant sort of tongue-in-cheek, as the longer I am here, the better much of the crappy food tastes to me.

I could count on my hands the number of times I ate at McDonald’s in the US, but it got to be something of a treat here after a while.

Same with KFC, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Carl’s Jr., Sizzler and most recently Taco Bell. I would not eat at any of these places in the US, but the longer I’m here, the better they get.

As far as Taco Bell food here, my wife liked the crispy tacos, my boy had a burrito and nachos, and I had the chicken Crunchwrap Supreme that I enjoyed.

The nacho chips were fresh and crispy and the guacamole was good.

The burrito my boy had was pretty good.

Everything seemed fresh and tasty to me, but I’m not that picky.

Again, not a fan of Taco Bell in the US, but I enjoyed it here.

I've never been to a Taco Bell.  But I am intrigued after so many people rave about it on here.

Does anyone know if there are still long queues or has it died down?  I am tempted to try it but not if it means queueing up for it.

No line today

Archived