Taco Bell

mogandave

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

“La Monita” at Paragon has beef, beans and more “authentic” Mexican food if that is what one was expecting at Taco Bell.

La Monita's fine, albeit, usually more expensive at their Paragon branch than their original Ploenchit branch.

But regarding Taco Thailand, I wasn't expecting "authentic" Mexican food, because that's not what even Taco Bell in the U.S. does.   Here in Thailand, I was ONLY expecting "authentic" Taco Bell food, and sadly thus far, Taco Thailand hasn't gotten very close to that as yet.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

La Monita's fine, albeit, usually more expensive at their Paragon branch than their original Ploenchit branch.

But regarding Taco Thailand, I wasn't expecting "authentic" Mexican food, because that's not what even Taco Bell in the U.S. does.   Here in Thailand, I was ONLY expecting "authentic" Taco Bell food, and sadly thus far, Taco Thailand hasn't gotten very close to that as yet.

You (apparently) haven't even tried it, yet you claim to know what it is and is not. 

On 2/13/2019 at 9:21 AM, fforest1 said:

I just dont get the no bean thing.....Beans are the cheapest ingredient in Mexican food....A whole lot cheaper than chicken, pork, sour cream, avocados etc.... 

Its not rocket science cheaper food ingredients = higher profits

Yes, but they did "market research"...  extensive "market research" to ensure they knew exactly what Thais wanted...  

Perhaps next time, they ought to hire a market research firm or consultant that has some clue of what they're doing and what customers (Thai and farang alike) are going to expect a Taco Bell to be.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's NOT beef and NOT beans, as I and everyone else here knows by now...

In my book, that makes it Taco Thailand, not Taco Bell....

You should tell them, or better, go on trip advisor and trash them without ever going. 

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, but they did "market research"...  extensive "market research" to ensure they knew exactly what Thais wanted...  

Perhaps next time, they ought to hire a market research firm or consultant that has some clue of what they're doing and what customers (Thai and farang alike) are going to expect a Taco Bell to be.

Yes, hire a firm that will restructure their product offering because some old expat that represents (probably) less than half a percent of their potential market refuses to try it. 

It's brilliant!

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Yes, hire a firm that will restructure their product offering because some old expat that represents (probably) less than half a percent of their potential market refuses to try it. 

It's brilliant!

You're just being ignorant. If you read the TT Facebook page, you'll clearly find more Thais complaining about the lack of beef and beans than farangs.  This issue isn't and wasn't a Thai market vs farang market thing. And you're wrong to believe it is/was.

It was a, people who went to the Chidlom outlet expected it to be a Taco Bell, and instead, they got something else and something lackingly different.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

“La Monita” at Paragon has beef, beans and more “authentic” Mexican food if that is what one was expecting at Taco Bell.

I dont go to Taco Bell much any more. But in my mind,  Taco Bell is a place where you  roll up to the window totally baked and order a whole bunch of random stuff that you expect will just taste so good as you ride home beard sauced and stuffing your gob whilst listening to Buxtehude at full volume.

I meant it literally, not pejoratively. You were making a claim, but clearly had not bothered to see the very clear and public evidence that refutes the claim you were making.

What was I claiming that was not true?

How much of the market do guys like us represent?

Have you actually tried it?

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

I was answering Yellowtail's comments above...not yours...

Just now, racyrick said:

Stop it-you're killing me!!

I live in Khon Kaen and we have nothing here except Mc D and KFC.

PLEASE, somebody send me some Taco Bell and Texas Chicken--PLEASE!!

Oh forgot, no beef and no beans maybe not TC--oh what the hell TC too!!  PLEASE!!

The KK area Thais from my experience tend to be pretty good beef eaters.... Same with Sakon Nakhon and other areas of Isaan. Sakon Nakhon, of course, is home to Thailand's pretty decent Thai-French beef industry.

Taco Thailand has said they plan to open a bunch of outlets, though as far as I know, they haven't specified where... Go on their FB page, and tell them you want a Taco Thailand in Khon Kaen! 

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Pizza Hut and Dominos both completely different as well

I think the Thai company behind Taco Thailand also is the Thai franchise holder these days for Pizza Hut, and quite a few other U.S. oriented food outlets including IHOP that now exist here...

But at least at their IHOP restaurants here (same company), you can actually go and order pancakes and have choices of pancakes that reasonably resemble their U.S. menu...

It's not like you go the IHOP here, and they tell you, yes, you can have our pancakes, but your only topping choices are som tam or flossed pork, because, we've done our market research and we know what Thai customers want when they go to an International House of Pancakes!!!

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The KK area Thais from my experience tend to be pretty good beef eaters.... Same with Sakon Nakhon and other areas of Isaan. Sakon Nakhon, of course, is home to Thailand's pretty decent Thai-French beef industry.

Taco Thailand has said they plan to open a bunch of outlets, though as far as I know, they haven't specified where... Go on their FB page, and tell them you want a Taco Thailand in Khon Kaen! 

Duke's is pretty good in KK...

Domestic beef has certainly improved since I've been here...

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Duke's is pretty good in KK...

Domestic beef has certainly improved since I've been here...

I wouldn't mind if Taco Thailand were to use TF ground beef for their promised future beef product.

But I got the impression they're probably going to look for some imported beef, and perhaps can find something cheaper to sell than what local TF beef would be... After all, it's only going to end up as ground beef... not steaks!

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wouldn't mind if Taco Thailand were to use TF ground beef for their promised future beef product.

But I got the impression they're probably going to look for some imported beef, and perhaps can find something cheaper to sell than what local TF beef would be... After all, it's only going to end up as ground beef... not steaks!

I don't think there is any real reason to assume they will actually start selling beef.  There will likely be a reevaluation of their decision based on sales over a period of time.  They might or they might not. 

As for beans, I don't think it's going to happen.  Taco Bell Thailand is dead to this vegetarian.  

9 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I don't think there is any real reason to assume they will actually start selling beef.  There will likely be a reevaluation of their decision based on sales over a period of time.  They might or they might not. 

Maybe you missed it... The guy who's the head of the Thai family behind the Taco Thailand franchise here posted on his personal Instagram page, about a week after their opening, saying that they had decided to add beef to their menu in response to customer requests... And they would do so as soon as they could locate an appropriate supplier. But he didn't give any specific timeframe. And no mention of beans.

There were various EN language media articles on his TH-language beef announcement at the time, including from Khaosod EN.  But the guy didn't do any version of that announcement in EN as far as I know, and Taco Thailand hasn't made any mention of it on their FB page as yet, AFAIK. Probably, they don't want to announce any further until they're actually ready to expand their menu...

Otherwise, they'd probably just end up inviting more heaps of scorn from the beef and bean loving Taco Bell fans hereabouts, Thai and farang alike!  :biggrin:

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Personally, I'd like to see decent fish and shrimp tacos. 

Beef and beans would be nice, but not really a deal breaker for me.

I'd go for that... as an additional option... just like beef should have been from the beginning.

Sunrise Tacos has always had some halfway decent batter fried fish tacos, and I often seemed to end up ordering them over their other protein options for tacos...  Except for carnitas, which always would be my first choice if offered.  :sleepy:

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd go for that... as an additional option... just like beef should have been from the beginning.

Sunrise Tacos has always had some halfway decent batter fried fish tacos, and I often seemed to end up ordering them over their other protein options for tacos...  Except for carnitas, which always would be my first choice if offered.  :sleepy:

Well, you could have carnitas at Taco Bell if you weren't boycotting them...

17 minutes ago, ricklev said:

As for beans, I don't think it's going to happen.  Taco Bell Thailand is dead to this vegetarian.  

BTW, in one of my several DM exchanges with Taco Thailand on their FB page over the weeks, I at one point gently and politely prodded them over the lack of vegetarian choices on their menu, and pointed out that adding beans and bean burritos would at least be a step in that direction.

And, their response was to point out that they offer cheese quesadillas on the menu, to which I responded by pointing out that a lot of people who don't eat meat also choose not to eat dairy products.... So the cheese quesadilla really wouldn't work for those folks...

They didn't seem willing to engage on the vegetarian issue much beyond that... Apparently, their market research has also informed them that Thais aren't interested in vegetarian choices either!!!  :biggrin:

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Well, you could have carnitas at Taco Bell if you weren't boycotting them...

I'll go there to try their food once they add EITHER beef or beans to their menu, and not until then...

All along, I've been very clear here in what I've said here. I've never complained or said one word about the food they ARE serving, because I haven't eaten it.

I've ONLY complained about the food they're NOT serving, and the absence of that renders their outlet something other than a Taco Bell IMHO.... 

But at least now, they've promised to begin remedying that with beef, despite what their market research told them.

Archived