Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, pr9spk said:

That cannot be true. Maybe you mean people who have never been to sizzler before might be expecting a good steak?

 

In all fairness, it might take several trips to have one's expectation completely crushed. Still, for the money the salad bar is nice....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 5:32 PM, sfokevin said:

How does one say “Have it your way” in Thai?... :coffee1:

Doesn't matter.  I told them I wanted my Whopper extra hot.  They said it was hot enough already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, Yellowtail said:

 

Stop calling yourself Thainess. You're not Thai, and calling yourself in any way Thai is an insult to Thailand.

 

 


How you know me not Thai, mister?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got news to report. Looks like Taco Thailand is moving quickly... Today, I saw evidence that they're soon going to be opening another presumably bean-less, beef-less branch on the ground floor inside Siam Paragon...

 

But if you look very closely at the burrito depicted on the wall board, it kinda looks like they're showing beans as the bottom level.... but hard to tell....

 

20190212_135123.jpg.62e06bed213b88f6f67ad2f46f75d232.jpg

 

20190212_135216.thumb.jpg.6c7fae0131af9348ac64506753bbb7cc.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've met quite a lot of Thais who like beef, but they say feel guilty after eating it so don't do it. I thought it was the Indians who thought that cows were sacred. Where I live in Isaan I am 100% sure that every single villager would choose rat or frog meat over a medium rare filet mignon (and they'd eat the rat/frog in a stone cold, insipid-looking grey soup).

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pr9spk said:

I've met quite a lot of Thais who like beef, but they say feel guilty after eating it so don't do it. I thought it was the Indians who thought that cows were sacred. Where I live in Isaan I am 100% sure that every single villager would choose rat or frog meat over a medium rare filet mignon (and they'd eat the rat/frog in a stone cold, insipid-looking grey soup).

 

must be  franco-indochine  influence on the frogs  😉

 

I've never heard and explanation for the pork-in-everything gastronomy of the Thai  ,  supposed it would be economic ,  can't afford to graize cattle in a tropical rice country ...

 

"Skeptical of this convenient filling in of the blank, scholars have pointed out that Pali uses a different word for “pork,” sukara-mamsa; they believe that sukara-maddava should be translated “pig food,” not “pig meat,” and that it most likely refers to truffles, a porcine delicacy. (Maddava has a secondary meaning of “something soft or delicate.”) They are convinced that the Buddha died from eating a poisonous mushroom, not tainted pork"

Edited by mooping20Baht
d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Got news to report. Looks like Taco Thailand is moving quickly... Today, I saw evidence that they're soon going to be opening another presumably bean-less, beef-less branch on the ground floor inside Siam Paragon...

 

But if you look very closely at the burrito depicted on the wall board, it kinda looks like they're showing beans as the bottom level.... but hard to tell....

 

20190212_135123.jpg.62e06bed213b88f6f67ad2f46f75d232.jpg

 

20190212_135216.thumb.jpg.6c7fae0131af9348ac64506753bbb7cc.jpg

Well lets hope those are just the chunky bits of Refried beans....

If they are not making Beef and Bean priority number one then I guess there is not much hope for them......

 

That was the worst social media massacre I have ever seen a company receive on the internet......    

Edited by fforest1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just dont get the no bean thing.....Beans are the cheapest ingredient in Mexican food....A whole lot cheaper than chicken, pork, sour cream, avocados etc.... 

 

Its not rocket science cheaper food ingredients = higher profits

Edited by fforest1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 12:55 AM, Yellowtail said:

I think Thais don't eat beef becaue the beef in Thailand is crap. No shortage of Thais in McD's and Sizzler...

Beef in Thailand is like wine in Thailand. Thais simply do not have the knowledge and experience to grow both and process both successfully.

Beef is used quite a lot in Vietnamese cuisine; however, it's not as if it's filet mignon class.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I just dont get the no bean thing.....Beans are the cheapest ingredient in Mexican food....A whole lot cheaper than chicken, pork, sour cream, avocados etc.... 

 

Its not rocket science cheaper food ingredients = higher profits

They believe their most important  market is the Thai middle class, not foreigners or Thais who have lived and travelled abroad.  And they think those middle class Thais who have never eaten a bean that wasn't sweetened in a dessert would be grossed out by refried beans.  

 

I guess that's it anyway. I ran into an American Taco Bell marketing person here and talked about it with her but it was a bit hard to penetrate the corporate line.  I was trying to get her to tell me about the entirety of the decision making process, just to satisfy my curiosity.  

 

The Thais do eat kidney beans in their salads nowadays.  

Edited by ricklev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They believe their most important  market is the Thai middle class, not foreigners or Thais who have lived and travelled abroad.  And they think those middle class Thais who have never eaten a bean that wasn't sweetened in a dessert would be grossed out by refried beans.  
 
I guess that's it anyway. I ran into an American Taco Bell marketing person here and talked about it with her but it was a bit hard to penetrate the corporate line.  I was trying to get her to tell me about the entirety of the decision making process, just to satisfy my curiosity.  
 
The Thais do eat kidney beans in their salads nowadays.  


Is 90% of the Bangkok population not the market to focus on?

My wife and boy liked it and we visit the US every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

 


Is 90% of the Bangkok population not the market to focus on?

My wife and boy liked it and we visit the US every year.

 

Well if you read The Taco Bell Facebook page the 10% of Thais who have had real Taco Bell food also seem to feel very cheated....So that just goes to show Thais can and do like Beef and Refried Beans very much if given a chance...

Ok make the menu 70-80% chicken and Pork...Fair enough..But at least serve 20-30% Refried Beans and Beef...

 

If not Taco Bell should be prepared for the continuing nasty social and news media backlash that will not be stopping EVER...... Bye Bye $$$$........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well if you read The Taco Bell Facebook page the 10% of Thais who have had real Taco Bell food also seem to feel very cheated....So that just goes to show Thais can and do like Beef and Refried Beans very much if given a chance...
Ok make the menu 70-80% chicken and Pork...Fair enough..But at least serve 20-30% Refried Beans and Beef...
 
If not Taco Bell should be prepared for the continuing nasty social and news media backlash that will not be stopping EVER...... Bye Bye $$$$........


10% of Thais have had “real” Taco Bell food? Hilarious.

To be clear, I agree wholeheartedly that they should have beef and beans, I’m amazed they don’t.

I imagine they are trying to minimize import costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

 


10% of Thais have had “real” Taco Bell food? Hilarious.

To be clear, I agree wholeheartedly that they should have beef and beans, I’m amazed they don’t.

I imagine they are trying to minimize import costs.

 

Come on.....I did not mean 10% literally....of course that would be ridiculous....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 3:16 PM, mogandave said:

 


Crappy Mexican fast-food.

 

 

OK

 

Thanks anyway.     Maybe another poster can be a little more enlightening.     I did  address your post when you said "if you liked it in the US you’ll like it better here, although they do not seem to offer beef."

 

Anyone else able to make a comparison?    I liked Taco Bell in the US so I wonder why I'm likely to like it more here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...