Taco Bell

mogandave

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'll go there to try their food once they add EITHER beef or beans to their menu, and not until then...

All along, I've been very clear here in what I've said here. I've never complained or said one word about the food they ARE serving, because I haven't eaten it.

I've ONLY complained about the food they're NOT serving, and the absence of that renders their outlet something other than a Taco Bell IMHO.... 

But at least now, they've promised to begin remedying that with beef, despite what their market research told them.

Short-nose syndrome...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Well, keep cutting it off to spite your face...

I'll happily wait until Taco Thailand fades and some resemblance to the real Taco Bell starts to appear.

Until then, like many others among those who had hopes for the new venture to open here, it's no sale.

48 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I don't think there is any real reason to assume they will actually start selling beef.  There will likely be a reevaluation of their decision based on sales over a period of time.  They might or they might not. 

As for beans, I don't think it's going to happen.  Taco Bell Thailand is dead to this vegetarian.  

I know Bangkoks choices of Mexican food is not very big but I am pretty sure all the choices serve beans.....

I was board so I looked at some Taco Bell menus in other countries and they mostly serve beans....

Sense beans are so cheap and profitable wouldn't they want to at least give refried beans a test run in Thailand..... 

This whole no bean thing is just plain weird....Very strange.....

Are they under direct orders not to sell beans in Thailand? Or what?..........

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

La Monita's fine, albeit, usually more expensive at their Paragon branch than their original Ploenchit branch.

But regarding Taco Thailand, I wasn't expecting "authentic" Mexican food, because that's not what even Taco Bell in the U.S. does.   Here in Thailand, I was ONLY expecting "authentic" Taco Bell food, and sadly thus far, Taco Thailand hasn't gotten very close to that as yet.

"Here in Thailand, I was ONLY expecting "authentic" Taco Bell food, and sadly thus far, Taco Thailand hasn't gotten very close to that as yet."

I wonder what the full story is behind that.    Did the Thai ownership push for changes or is this a part of the overall  strategy?

13 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

"Here in Thailand, I was ONLY expecting "authentic" Taco Bell food, and sadly thus far, Taco Thailand hasn't gotten very close to that as yet."

I wonder what the full story is behind that.    Did the Thai ownership push for changes or is this a part of he overall plan?

I agree with you there is more to this story....... I am getting a whiff of some thing that smells bad thats going on behind the Taco Bell menu scene.......

Its very telling that they said they will look into adding beef but did not mention one word about beans...Why would that be?

7 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I agree with you there is more to this story....... I am getting a whiff of some thing that smells bad thats going on behind the Taco Bell menu scene.......

Its very telling that they said they will look into adding beef but did not mention one word about beans...Why would that be?

This is getting serious, it must be somehow connected to the new immigration requirements, hoping to drive out the unwanted expats...

24 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

One thought that crossed my mind is there is, I believe, some fundamentalist strain of Buddhists that are opposed to eating beef. The family behind all these U.S. food ventures in Thailand including Taco Thailand is the Mahagatsiris, who have the Nestle coffee empire here in Thailand. But I've never heard that they're inclined in that direction. So the whole thing has been a considerable mystery to me...

Likewise, from the Taco Bell international operations standpoint, it kind of makes you wonder just how much flexibility they are willing to give their international franchise operations before they say, "you've got to do at least THIS in order to be called and marketed as a Taco Bell."  Being willing to allow a TH franchisor to open a chain without any beef and beans is quite a departure from their traditional core menu.

must not fergit that the local Taco Bell is meant to be marketed to locals and that the quality of the local beef, even when ground up is abysmal...I always get the kilo packages of imported beef mince from makro to use at home for me meat loaf and me chilli...

with the beans there are loads down the local market, packaged black beans and red kidneys mostly used for sweet thai khanom...fergit making any frijoles refritos from that stuff, I've tried and failed...must have either pintos or white beans that are not grown or available in Thailand as far as I can see...

and ain't no one gonna want to appear to be kowtowing to a buncha mewling falangs and their Taco Bell sensibilities (cue the local national anthem)...meanwhile some generals huddle with local pinto bean profiteers and mutter 'them falangs want their beans do they?...well let's see what we can do, heh, heh, heh...'

and then 'SPECIAL BEEF AND BEAN MENU FOR FOREIGNERS ONLY'...

be careful what you wish for...

On 2/11/2019 at 11:59 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ditto... No beef, no beans, no sale...

As long as their menu remains as is, they won't be getting my business and they aren't a real Taco Bell in my book.

BTW, if you read Taco Thailand's Facebook page, there are as many or more Thais complaining about the lack of beef and beans on the menu as there are farangs doing so.

On 2/11/2019 at 12:04 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think most people here, Thais including, were hoping for the real, authentic thing -- not a fake imposter selling an amputated menu.

Wow! Its ridiculous really! Why would such an investment not to mention being a major food chain fail to adhere to what its known for. Beef!

Ehh.. I was excited but its too far and no beef!

7 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

must not fergit that the local Taco Bell is meant to be marketed to locals and that the quality of the local beef, even when ground up is abysmal...I always get the kilo packages of imported beef mince from makro to use at home for me meat loaf and me chilli...

with the beans there are loads down the local market, packaged black beans and red kidneys mostly used for sweet thai khanom...fergit making any frijoles refritos from that stuff, I've tried and failed...must have either pintos or white beans that are not grown or available in Thailand as far as I can see...

and ain't no one gonna want to appear to be kowtowing to a buncha mewling falangs and their Taco Bell sensibilities (cue the local national anthem)...meanwhile some generals huddle with local pinto bean profiteers and mutter 'them falangs want their beans do they?...well let's see what we can do, heh, heh, heh...'

and then 'SPECIAL BEEF AND BEAN MENU FOR FOREIGNERS ONLY'...

be careful what you wish for...

Local black beans:. Soak overnight  or all day and cook in a slow cooker on low for 12 hours or so with chili, gaarlic, cumin and salt.  Perfect every time but I admit I don't refrito them.  

Wow! Its ridiculous really! Why would such an investment not to mention being a major food chain fail to adhere to what its known for. Beef!

Ehh.. I was excited but its too far and no beef!

Taco Bell is not really known for the beef, beans perhaps, but not beef, that’s just silly.

3 hours ago, ricklev said:

Local black beans:. Soak overnight  or all day and cook in a slow cooker on low for 12 hours or so with chili, gaarlic, cumin and salt.  Perfect every time but I admit I don't refrito them.  

And of course, those with a Villa Market or Foodland in the vicinity can buy the 1 lbs bags of dry pinto beans imported from the U.S. that they've both stocked as a standard item for many years.

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

Taco Bell is not really known for the beef, beans perhaps, but not beef, that’s just silly.

I'd argue beef and beans together are core ingredients in the Taco Bell menu in the U.S., in all their various menu variations. Far more than the Taco Thailand notion here of ground chicken tacos and pulled pork.

In the U.S., from my past Taco Bell days, it's bean burritos, ground beef tacos, burritos with ground beef and various other fillings, etc etc....  I can't remember ever ordering a ground chicken taco at Taco Bell U.S.

When I wanted vegetarian, their 7-layer burrito also was a favorite, being beans, rice, cheeses, veggies and sauces by default. It also tended to be one of the healthier choices on their menu.  Another menu choice that's conspicuously missing from the offerings here at Taco Thailand.

And of course, those with a Villa Market or Foodland in the vicinity can buy the 1 lbs bags of dry pinto beans imported from the U.S. that they've both stocked as a standard item for many years.

Do you really think Taco Bell makes re-fried beans from dry pintos? Hilarious

I'd argue beef and beans together are core ingredients in the Taco Bell menu in the U.S., in all their various menu variations. Far more than the Taco Thailand notion here of ground chicken tacos and pulled pork.

In the U.S., from my past Taco Bell days, it's bean burritos, ground beef tacos, burritos with ground beef and various other fillings, etc etc....  I can't remember ever ordering a ground chicken taco at Taco Bell U.S.

When I wanted vegetarian, their 7-layer burrito also was a favorite, being beans, rice, cheeses, veggies and sauces by default. It also tended to be one of the healthier choices on their menu.  Another menu choice that's conspicuously missing from the offerings here at Taco Thailand.

I agree that beef is a core ingredient to their US product offering, but claiming Taco Bell is “Known” for their beef?

Lard is a core ingredient as well, are they known for that?

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So what....

They seem to have no problem importing cheese from America...

Hey

Just throw in a ton of refried beans in the shipping container with the cheese and your good to go.......

Shipping container cost are cheap.....

So what....
They seem to have no problem importing cheese from America...
Hey
Just throw in a ton of refried beans in the shipping container with the cheese and your good to go.......
Shipping container cost are cheap.....

I agree completely. I think they should offer beef and beans. I think importing canned refried beans would be easy . Actually, I think canned refried beans and tortillas are available at Macro.

My comment was in response to the suggestion that Taco Bell buy dry pintos from Villa Market and (apparently) process them on site. Do you not see the humor in that?

30 minutes ago, mogandave said:

That exchange was about making your own refried beans here, and the local availability or not of said beans. It wasn't about how Taco Bell makes their frijoles. Read before posting.

2131799880_2019-02-1513_05_45.jpg.c6c0d8721f75e846ebed0a00c124d15d.jpg

9 minutes ago, mogandave said:

My comment was in response to the suggestion that Taco Bell buy dry pintos from Villa Market and (apparently) process them on site. Do you not see the humor in that?

And as I pointed out above, you're obviously suffering from severe reading comprehension problems... Hilarious!!!

That exchange was about making your own refried beans here, and the local availability or not of said beans. It wasn't about how Taco Bell makes their frijoles. Read before posting.

2131799880_2019-02-1513_05_45.jpg.c6c0d8721f75e846ebed0a00c124d15d.jpg

Why would I want to make my own refried beans here when I could just buy La Victoria at Macro?

And as I pointed out above, you're obviously suffering from severe reading comprehension problems... Hilarious!!!

Yes, and we all know TV members are “known” for their reading comprehension skills, it’s one of the core disciplines required here.

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Why would I want to make my own refried beans here when I could just buy La Victoria at Macro?

What you do is up to you...

But like Rick, I also make my own version of refried beans at home... Because...

By doing homemade, I can make a healthier version that I prefer that doesn't have all the high salt levels and/or high fat levels that the canned refried beans here tend to have.

I like my own style better.

What you do is up to you...

But like Rick, I also make my own version of refried beans at home... Because...

By doing homemade, I can make a healthier version that I prefer that doesn't have all the high salt levels and/or high fat levels that the canned refried beans here tend to have.

I like my own style better.

Maybe you could get a job at Taco Bell.

(Just kidding)

I like pintos better before they’re refried.

Archived